Injury Report: Injury Summary pt II

Jaxs

Jul 4, 2008
Four years?

It's difficult for me to "admit" because I think you're oversimplifying. He's had three injuries. The unfortunate part has been the relative severity of each causing him to miss large chunks of games. Between the shoulder injury in junior and the knee injury last season, he played 66 games of 82. Unfortunately the knee injury and recovery took longer than it should have for some reason. We have no idea why. An ankle sprain is a fairly common injury. When you consider the freak, non-hockey play that caused it, it's hard to blame it on the kid (for some of us anyway). High ankle sprains are tough to return from. He tried and tweaked it again. We know from past experience that this injury can bother players for months. For all we know if the team were in contention, he could play through it

Portzline on the knee injury from yesterdays chat. I realize Porty should be taken with a grain of salt, but here is his view.

Portzline:
Well, definitely a bad year. But it would be impossible, and unfair, to guess if this is a theme. Clearly he was rushed back into action too early last spring in the Pittsburgh series, and it did the knee more harm than was necessary. Murray keeps saying he'd do it all over again, because playoff games are that important. But somebody has to be the stronger voice. The kid should not have been playing. You wonder if the ankle injury wasn't fully healed when he returned. And it's tough for a guy in his spot who has missed so much time to NOT rush his return from an injury.
http://bluejacketsxtra.dispatch.com/content/sections/chat-transcripts/index.html

KeithBWhittington

Going North
Jun 14, 2003
Brick by Brick
Visit site
Saying Murray is injury prone, which he seems to be, is not "blaming" him. It is just recognizing the factual reality of his career since we drafted him.

bingo.

We are arguing semantics when we talk about three injuries vs. multiple more flare ups of the same or old injuries. Should have been shut down for the season before this latest attempt to get back into the lineup, better chance at total recovering over nagging aches and pains, and it helps to keep the allure of trade value intact

kid can't stay healthy.

Portzline was on the inside edge last night and talked about the possibility that the CBJ could try to package together players and picks and move up with Edmonton moving back (assuming Edmonton again is picking in front of jackets, his reasoning was, if at 2, Edmonton would be the team that might trade out, no one is trading first overall) he included Bjork as a potential piece the CBJ may have to surrender to get it done. why not Murray? Edmonton needs defense.

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
eek. Not to go OT, but if chatter about Bjork and Calder talk is starting to be bandied about (if prematurely), doesn't the idea of packaging him sound unappetizing? I guess if it's to get to the 2 spot...

zelbell

Oct 6, 2014
Columbus
bingo.

We are arguing semantics when we talk about three injuries vs. multiple more flare ups of the same or old injuries. Should have been shut down for the season before this latest attempt to get back into the lineup, better chance at total recovering over nagging aches and pains, and it helps to keep the allure of trade value intact

kid can't stay healthy.

Portzline was on the inside edge last night and talked about the possibility that the CBJ could try to package together players and picks and move up with Edmonton moving back (assuming Edmonton again is picking in front of jackets, his reasoning was, if at 2, Edmonton would be the team that might trade out, no one is trading first overall) he included Bjork as a potential piece the CBJ may have to surrender to get it done. why not Murray? Edmonton needs defense.

probably because of the amount of surplus we have at forward, which we would give Edmonton one or two and then at our pick, they take a defenseman

cbjgirl

Just thinking
Jan 19, 2006
about last summer.
I don't know exactly what went on with Murray's knee, so this is complete speculation...

When I was having knee problems last fall, I did some research about it since my husband had previously had surgery for a meniscus tear. I thought I might have the same problem, turned out to be my kneecap wasn't tracking right rather than any soft tissue damage. Anyway...

I am speculating that they decided to repair a meniscus tear rather than remove the torn part (this all assumes that it was a meniscus problem to begin with) based on Murray's age and profession. According to what I read last fall, if they go for a repair, there is a 30% chance (from some medical site that I can't find today) that they may need to "fix" it again. Meniscus tears can be very slow to heal to begin with (lack of blood supply slows it down).

ndd17

In Eaves we trust!
Jul 14, 2012
Russia
Shawn Mitchell@smitchcd 34 min
Now #CBJ coaches going down with
injuries. G coach Ian Clark tore elbow
tendon today, will need surgery to repair.
This. Season.

WTF...

niflheim

Hockey is cheating
Nov 22, 2014
from some medical site that I can't find today
:)
normal man/ woman ( and even semi pro) can live and move normally with operated meniscus, pro sport a little bit another " opera". But I sure Murray's knee is fine, he was operated practically one year ago. Probably ankle sprain relapse, sometimes it needs simply more time to heal and after return Ryan played practically 20+ min/game. I wondered of course, but it was HCTR decision ( I guess wrong decision, probably 14-15 min would be optimal time for him)

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
http://bluejacketsxtra.dispatch.com/content/stories/2015/03/27/0327-jackets-notebook.html

From the Dispatch article on Calvert

Calvert has not played since Feb. 26 but he skated apart from the team yesterday for the fourth straight day. He hopes to return to practice next week.

“I’ve skated before in this process, and it didn’t feel too great,†Calvert said. “But I’ve been seeing a neck therapist, and that’s been great for me.â€

Only a handful of games will remain if and when Calvert returns to the lineup, but he said he had no intentions of shutting down his season.

If he isn't bright enough to shut it down someone higher up should help him. Of course I am not considering how much those last 6 or 7 games or so will mean to his development.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Again with this garbage. I'm glad you seem to enjoy it.

A bit chippy this morning? :laugh:

But seriously, do you think it is worth it to bring back a guy who has been out over a month with a concussion and whatever else to play in a bunch of meaningless games?

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
bingo.

kid can't stay healthy.

I despise the Oilers with a passion but there is no way they would trade #2(probably Eichel) for a package with the main player being Murray coming back. He has been way too injury prone and that's WAY too risky for EDM. A couple years ago they would have in a heart beat, but not today

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
A bit chippy this morning? :laugh:

But seriously, do you think it is worth it to bring back a guy who has been out over a month with a concussion and whatever else to play in a bunch of meaningless games?

Not chippy, just bored. I just think that argument needs some fresh material. It's garbage.

You didn't like the understandable and defensible if not universally-accepted notion that Murray and Jenner would benefit from playing games late this season because young players who've missed a lot of time need game action to properly develop, and you've decided to snarkily drop it into every conversation regarding a player coming back from injury, even though it should go without saying, especially to a smart poster like yourself, that all players are not at the same stage of their development.

Cash for Nash

May 13, 2012
I despise the Oilers with a passion but there is no way they would trade #2(probably Eichel) for a package with the main player being Murray coming back. He has been way too injury prone and that's WAY too risky for EDM. A couple years ago they would have in a heart beat, but not today

Yeah. I agree. And how would Edmonton be in the #2 slot anyway? That would mean they would have to pass (out suck) Arizona who is in the #2 slot. And that would require Buffalo winning the lottery so Edmonton would not be bumped to #3.And that Coyotes lineup in the worst I've ever seen iced--worse than Buffalo. They truly are all in for the tank.

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015
Injury summary: it's not looking good

4-excited-nets-basketball-fan.gif

niflheim

Hockey is cheating
Nov 22, 2014
Ok, spine stress fracture number 2. :(. Problem far more common ( again) than expected. Good luck to our physicians. I guess all players must have DEXA ( bone densitometry) afterseason plus D vitamine and calcium blood levels must be checked. Paradoxically ( yep, young people, not old), but fact.

PS what about quality of water in Columbus? any information about cadmium levels in the water available or not?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad