Initial impressions: How are you feeling?

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
And there you have it. Last night's game a perfect illustration of how this season will be (hopefully just early in the season).

Eh, last night we didn't have our 1LW and 1D in the lineup, and Crawford isn't that bad very often.

Yes, this season will be rocky as a result of the changes to the roster, but I don't think you can point to that Blues game as an illustration of what to expect from this team when healthy and playing to form.

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
The Hawks have to start winning on the road, or this will be a very long season. Young players.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Well ..

Here are the main concerns:

After 14 GP:

.Our #1 and#2 C's have only 9 and 7 points respectively and are only +1 and+2 respectively...pretty meh...for such vaunted hype.

.Our "vets" GARBUTT at -5 and just 2 assists...KRUGER and DESJARDINS both ZERO points and both -7...already! AND Shaw just 1g and 3a and -2...

.Hammer and TVR ...supposedly our best Dmen are -7 and-4 respectively. .

.CC'S last 2 games trending to STINKS mode.

On the other hand...the newbies Svedberg at -2 is not as bad as Hammer and TVR per the stat line...Kero is holding at Even in the plus minus and Dano is positive in his stint so far and both have lit the lamp with their first goals in a Hawks uniform...TT is holding positive at +3 and 7 points for a still young kid in 14 GP is pretty decent...And Gustafsson looks good and is a strong positive in the brief stint he has played.

Yes of course we miss Keith and the greatest effect seems to be on Hammer and TVR ...

As to missing Hossa ...well he did not do much in the games he did play. .so the jury still out.

If there us criticism of Panarin it is not yet enough GOAL Scoring ...but I predicted at least 72 points and he has 12 in 14 GP...

IF there is criticism of DALEY ...note that after 14 GP he is not negative....and is about the same in plus/minus or close to positives he has put up several times in his career..But whatbisb"off"for him is offensive production...especially some goals from the.point.

The one shining ing light is Kane who at 19 pints in 14 GP and +9 on this meh team is playing at superstar level and earning his big paycheck..Toews pn the other hand has not been consistent and pretty meh for 2/3 of his Hames so far...hardly "starring" as the money requires.

One hopes that when Keith comes back everyone on D gets slotted properly in minutes and roles..and that hopefully Rozsival stabilizes tge D when he gets inserted
..but how long it takes him and later Keith to get up to top form..that is the question..

RedBaronIndian

Jul 9, 2010
Too much doom and gloom in here. While the start may have not been ideal, this team especially the core has earned the benefit of doubt. They will get it together. They always do.

Meanwhile here is something positive. The new awesome one goal commercial.

[NHL]866085[/NHL]

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
How much longer until "initial" impressions become more permanent to some of you?

That's a good question. Throughout the run there have been regular season peaks and valleys, but they've always had reassuring moments of elite play. I don't anticipate this season being any different, especially when Keith returns, LW is sorted out, and the back end of the defense solidifies.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
So the record after 15 GP is the exact same ad last season 8-6-1; BUT basically only 1 line is clicking ....Toews has been meh the majority of these games ....Maybe 1/3 good to OK and 2/3 meh to bad..That has to change...Hossa needs to. Prove he can still score because if not what is the point of keeping him on line #1? The concern might be that Kane will slow down Except the Panarin factor on that line probably does not lead to Amy Kane slow g down much if they both stay healthy and with Anisimov healthy too...It is like Benn and Seguin
..you do not expect that much slowdown because when you find clicking magic the points keep coming..But when there is zero clicking on a duo or trio then you got problems. ..and so currently we have 3 of 4 lines with problems of little or zero production
.Pne line is not deep enough for a team to get very far...So we have to get production from lines #1,#3 and #4...

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
How much longer until "initial" impressions become more permanent to some of you?

I don't think it's ever permanent. It's a process. The Blackhawks have to get into the playoffs obviously but the seeding really doesn't matter so the other goal for the regular season is about development for young players and rest/health for older guys. Don't get me wrong, I'd like for them to be playing better right now, this second and have a few more points in the standings. But I don't think I've seen anything yet to change how I view this teams chances this year.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
People under estimate the loss of a Duncan Keith. Could you imagine the Kings without Doughty? He is a huge part of our success. We are an OK team without him, great with him.

Gootie

GOATie
Jul 28, 2010
Chicago
People under estimate the loss of a Duncan Keith. Could you imagine the Kings without Doughty? He is a huge part of our success. We are an OK team without him, great with him.
Those possession splits (with/without Keith on ice) during the final were disgusting. Guy is a cyborg.

SAADfather

Dec 12, 2014

Take away any teams #1 defensman and it complelty changes the dynamic of their team. Then you throw in the fact that he's the best in the world. But everyone was ready to be sellers because we were one point out of a playoff spot without Keith. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad