Initial impressions: How are you feeling?

ThatSaid

May 31, 2015
Glendale Heights, IL
Hello all! Thought I'd take some time as a guy who tries to see every game to give my initial impressions of the team this year. I know its early, but I think it would be interesting to see how everyone else is feeling about the team. I'll start.

The Good:

Corey Crawford has really kept us in games. Its not really surprising, but I think if he wasn't playing at his current level, our record would look a lot different. He seems much calmer in the crease, and his athleticism has really been on display. Everything just looks so sharp. Wondering what he might have been playing with last year in the way of injuries, because its been a while since I've seen him moving like that.

Team defense, overall, has been far better than I expected. Its obvious the scouting team did a really good job finding players who fit Q's system, and can quickly adapt to the 200 foot game that he requires. I've been really impressed.

That second line....its killer. Don't really need to say much about that!

The Bad:

There haven't been many games where our first line looks dangerous. Kaner's line is obviously firing on all cylinders, and Toews' line has been as shutdown as it ever is, but I'd like to see some more production (at least in the way of quality chances) by our #1 line. Its pretty clear that we have a hole to fill on the left side, and I'm not sure who can fill that. I'll touch on this more later.

The transition game has been a lot sloppier than in years past. I chalk this up mainly to the inexperience of our young blue-liners, and Daley's unfamiliarity with the system. It seems like either the D-men are hesitant to move the puck up, and the passing lanes close, or they fire the pass too fast, and miss. I guess that comes with more ice time, something that will come in bunches while Keith is out. I also think the aggressive backcheck that Q requires is gumming that up a bit for some of the new acquisitions who aren't used to starting from so deep in their own zone. I think this will get sorted out with more time.

Toews and Hossa need Panarin more than Kane does. This is going to be really controversial, because as we all know, the Kane line is the only one producing. Panarin has been an absolute revelation, but Kaner and Panarin are both elite perimeter players, and while Toews and Hossa are certainly capable of wheeling the puck around the point, its not what they do best. That line needs an outlet, who doesn't backcheck as deep, and that can create their own space while they wait for Hossa and Toews to leg it out. Panarin seems like the perfect fit. I think we also need to consider how great AA has been on that second line. His play doesn't get highlighted nearly enough. That second line will be fine with Kaner and AA as the anchors.

What say you?

The Toews Era*

Nov 29, 2014
The only aspect of the roster turnover that bothers me right now is how underwhelming daley has been.

deytookerjaabs

Johnny Paycheck's Tank Advisor
Sep 26, 2010
Eastern Shore
Same as I felt during the offseason. Excited about the new forwards, worried about the D, and worried about rookie and/or adjusting player's mistakes leading to lost games.

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
overall pretty happy and like our roster this year better than the same time last year....

really don't see the point to Garbutt unless he plays like he did tonight I thought he was pretty good out there...(honestly would rather see that spot go to a kid)

the d is a bit concerning although I like TVR and Svedberg is getting better IMO....I always thought Daley would take 20-25 games to get it so I think he is on track...IMO keith going down may turn into a blessing in disguise as it will throw more minutes at the above three D....if they handle it well I like our d when keith comes back...

The key here is Dano...I hope that he is learning the system and playing well at LW in rockford cause if he does I think we have a good shot to go deep again...

Dano-JT-Hossa
Panarin-AA-Kane
???-hino-TT
desi-kruger-shaw
???=Thikonov/garbutt/macniel/danault/ross/hartman

keith-TVR
hammer-svedberg
daley-seabrook
Rozy

Crawdarling

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Our defense has gotten better. Keith (when he returns) is Keith. Seabs is Seabs. and Hammer is, well, a ****ing rock.

But Daley has been decent (don't fully get all the hate), TVR has been phenomenal (truly playing like a #4), and Sved has gotten better with time.

Provided injuries don't rear it's ugly head later on, I'm actually more confident in this defensive core over what we had last year.

Offense has taken a step back, however. Panarin and Anisimov have been huge (as has Kane), but our first line is off to a slow start, and our third line needs more high end skill (Dano?).

All in all, a repeat is very well possible in my eyes. That's all that matters to me.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Considering the Hawks have yet to face a Western conference team, it is too early to say much. We should have a better idea of where they stand by this time in November.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
And even then they'd have played over a month without Keith so we still might not have a good idea of what this new team really looks like.

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
And even then they'd have played over a month without Keith so we still might not have a good idea of what this new team really looks like.

And around then is when the Hawks have their annual monthlong swoon. We might not know just how good this team is until very very late.

Not worried about the playoffs, just saying I think there will be a lot of people that sell on this team early and they might shoot out of a cannon near the end.

Eco

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2013
Beaupré, Quebec
Let's see, we lose our most talented piece in Keith, then go out and beat a decent Panthers team, and follow it up by shutting out (and most controlling the game in general) one of the better, more explosive offensive teams in the league? I feel fan-dam-tastic.

Our rookies are looking good, I still haven't given up on Daley and I think he may end up better than most HF members think. Seabrook is absolutely shinning in his new, temporary role as lead Defensemen.

I can't imagine how you could have too much negative things to say at this point.

Marina

Mar 26, 2013
Florida
Let's see, we lose our most talented piece in Keith, then go out and beat a decent Panthers team, and follow it up by shutting out (and most controlling the game in general) one of the better, more explosive offensive teams in the league? I feel fan-dam-tastic.

Our rookies are looking good, I still haven't given up on Daley and I think he may end up better than most HF members think. Seabrook is absolutely shinning in his new, temporary role as lead Defensemen.

I can't imagine how you could have too much negative things to say at this point.

Agreed about Seabrook, he's looked vastly better to me. For some reason this team really tends to stand out when we're missing key players (usually), I expect them to go 14-4 or something like that while he's out and then lose a bunch when he comes back.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
I'm real happy so far this season. This is long journey and the Hawks are right where they should be IMO. They don't need to win the president's trophy or anything. Been there done that. Just need to get through the season and be primed for a playoff run.

The 3 players that stand out to me for playing unexpectedly well:

1) Patrick Kane. He's been the Hawks MVP so far this year. Coming out of all that off ice stuff from the summer, it's just so awesome to see.

2) Artemi Panarin. Great pickup. He's been everything that was advertised and more. It's hilarious watching him on the puck as he usually frustrates defenders. I sure hope they find room to re-sign him next year :)

3) TVR - Has been one of the Hawks better defensemen. Plays poised like a veteran. Almost always makes the right move. And is even showing some slight signs of offense lately.

Honorable mention - Artem Anisimov - Does everything well. Also gives the Hawks a big body that will stand in front of the net, which this team has often lacked over the last 5 years. Finally we have that long awaited 2nd line center.

abt424

Apr 4, 2012
Austin
Agreed about Seabrook, he's looked vastly better to me. For some reason this team really tends to stand out when we're missing key players (usually), I expect them to go 14-4 or something like that while he's out and then lose a bunch when he comes back.

Seabrook looked great last night. I was going to write the same thing.

I wonder if sometimes we compare everybody to Keith and then complain when they don't live up to his game.

With Keith out I think we're seeing seabs' true value

scarchelli

Aug 19, 2014
When keith is back, rosival should be off ltir, so move rundblad. Hopefully daley will adapt to the new system and then the hawks can get a solid 6th dman. Too bad they are cursed with bickell. Probably gonna have to move shaw for some space for a dman.

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
I feel the same as I did in June, uncomfortable because it's going to be a more stressful and ugly ride to the postseason.

jaysoneil

Feb 22, 2013
IL
The sample size of only 8 games played is entirely too small.

That being said, they look like any other NHL team in October form, minus Anaheim and Montreal.

KanetoToews2883

Sep 14, 2011
I'm real happy so far this season. This is long journey and the Hawks are right where they should be IMO. They don't need to win the president's trophy or anything. Been there done that. Just need to get through the season and be primed for a playoff run.

The 3 players that stand out to me for playing unexpectedly well:

1) Patrick Kane. He's been the Hawks MVP so far this year. Coming out of all that off ice stuff from the summer, it's just so awesome to see.

2) Artemi Panarin. Great pickup. He's been everything that was advertised and more. It's hilarious watching him on the puck as he usually frustrates defenders. I sure hope they find room to re-sign him next year :)

3) TVR - Has been one of the Hawks better defensemen. Plays poised like a veteran. Almost always makes the right move. And is even showing some slight signs of offense lately.

Honorable mention - Artem Anisimov - Does everything well. Also gives the Hawks a big body that will stand in front of the net, which this team has often lacked over the last 5 years. Finally we have that long awaited 2nd line center.

Panarin is good for next year, it's 17-18 that he's possibly a RFA for right?

It may mean no Shaw. But I think Panarin has enough skill to be core. If he's chasing money, and money alone, there's other gigs out there that will pay him more. But if he's interested in staying in Chicago and becoming part of the core here... I think the Hawks can free up a little.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can

Being on the first PP unit (and knowing you will remain there for a while) helps a lot. Seabs has looked better than ever lately. If he, TVR and yes even Svedberg can maintain their level of play, Hawks should be significantly better without Keith than anyone had hoped.

zac

Apr 29, 2009
The good:

- Team speed. We went from being slightly above average to well above average. Having TT, Panarin, Daley, Garbutt, et al full time means we really don't have a sloth out there (considering position). I think it's extremely noticeable in transition, and that's both offensively and defensively.

- Signing Panarin was a home run. While the Saad, Toews, Hossa line could dominate puck possession physically (you just couldn't take it away from them), the Mulletov Cocktail line does it with sheer elusiveness. Teams can't take it away because they simply cant catch them. It's fun to watch.

- We look much better defensively this year. Tikhonov, Anisimov, and even Garbutt have really worked their ***** off on the defensive end. Panarin is also really responsible and the combination of he and Anisimov make Kane a much smaller liability on the other end. TVR has been awesome, and Daley looks to be coming along. With that said the Runblad Daley pairing is NOT a good fit for either player so I'd like that to be broken up. Sved has filled in nicely and should stay on the 3rd pairing once Keith returns. If Rozi is anything more than a 7th dman once Keith comes back I'll be pissed. Sved has been better than Rozi was at ANY POINT last season.

- Crow has been solid. Some shaky rebounds (per usual) but he looks to be seeing the puck really well.

- PK. It's not perfect but it's a marked improvement over the 2nd half of last year. This team typically tails off with their PK as the season progresses so we'll see if it lasts. Nonetheless, I think we have more options and versatility to use on the units. A healthy TVR certainly helps.

Bad:

- PP. With Keith off of it I like the personnel we have out there a lot more as well as our ability to maintain the zone. While we've got some decent chances, we have GOT to move the puck around more quickly, then blast the FIRST good look we have on net. Not enough movement and not enough shooting. The personnel is certainly a massive upgrade over previous seasons.

- 1st line scoring. Thankfully they do so many other things EXTREMELY well that they don't have negative value when not scoring. All the same, I don't see Tikhonov as a good enough offensive completement to make that line work. I still think that TT is the long term solution for that line. He's good enough defensively and on the puck to not hurt them there, but has the playmaking ability and shot to help the scoring. But he needs to be there 7-10 games to see if it works. Not this 2 game ******** that Q often gives before he makes ******** changes.

Overall I'm really happy with how we look right now.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Well thank goodness Toews has started to c9me back to normal...he stunk for the first 6 games but got better over the past 2 games...hopefully he now produces at a normal rate here on in...But I still worry about Hossa's scoring g falling off the cliff. .he is playing g fine now in the cycle and Che king game..but the freak scorer he was in the league for so many years past may have left the building g..If Jagr can still beat goalies regularly at 7 years older than Hossa, you would think Hossa would not lose his goal scoring g touch that fast...but as we saw last year with Sharp...when "it" departs,some old vets NE er get it back..qnd so I worry because we already saw a decline last year in goal scoring g from him and so far this year they look few and far between...occasionally a flash and reminder 9f the past but honestly he no longer scarethes teams with scoring danger...so it is harder on Toews now with the aging Hossa on one side and the physical and compete hard but not gifted scorer that Tikhonov is on the other wing...and so even if Toews back to normal the line as a whole may not achieve to expectation as top line or even 2nd line depending on how you perceive it.
Third line with 2 very young guys and Garbutt who RI gs energy and speed to a speedy line already...but Garbutt not gifted with hands 9f a scorer..So this is
a work in progress...you hope the chemistry gets better with time and maybe the speed and skill of TT and Hinostrozza can eventually produce some offense....hopefully...As to.line #4....better in their checking last 2 games but still now where new their form of last year's end of season and playoffs...not producing any offense..

Look ...Hawks stand 22nd in league offense/GF/game....so a lot of improvement required. Hawks stand 2nd in GA/game and so cannot complain about our d-mem and goaltending.

zac

Apr 29, 2009

Diddo. He's been solid defensively, and having him on the PP utilizes one of the strengths of his play. I still think that contract extension was a massive overpayment and mistake, but if he's going to be here it's about goddamned time we use him properly. It's ridiculous that it took a Keith injury for this to happen though. It's been an obvious (needed) changed for several years now.

zac

Apr 29, 2009
Being on the first PP unit (and knowing you will remain there for a while) helps a lot. Seabs has looked better than ever lately. If he, TVR and yes even Svedberg can maintain their level of play, Hawks should be significantly better without Keith than anyone had hoped.

Is Q smart enough NOT to play Rozi when he comes off of LTIR? That's a serious question.

scarchelli

Aug 19, 2014
Is Q smart enough NOT to play Rozi when he comes off of LTIR? That's a serious question.

Highly doubt it, barring a trade for a dman which would make rosival 7th and rundblad could be sent down.

The Toews Era*

Nov 29, 2014
The good:

- Team speed. We went from being slightly above average to well above average. Having TT, Panarin, Daley, Garbutt, et al full time means we really don't have a sloth out there (considering position). I think it's extremely noticeable in transition, and that's both offensively and defensively.

- Signing Panarin was a home run. While the Saad, Toews, Hossa line could dominate puck possession physically (you just couldn't take it away from them), the Mulletov Cocktail line does it with sheer elusiveness. Teams can't take it away because they simply cant catch them. It's fun to watch.

- We look much better defensively this year. Tikhonov, Anisimov, and even Garbutt have really worked their ***** off on the defensive end. Panarin is also really responsible and the combination of he and Anisimov make Kane a much smaller liability on the other end. TVR has been awesome, and Daley looks to be coming along. With that said the Runblad Daley pairing is NOT a good fit for either player so I'd like that to be broken up. Sved has filled in nicely and should stay on the 3rd pairing once Keith returns. If Rozi is anything more than a 7th dman once Keith comes back I'll be pissed. Sved has been better than Rozi was at ANY POINT last season.

- Crow has been solid. Some shaky rebounds (per usual) but he looks to be seeing the puck really well.

- PK. It's not perfect but it's a marked improvement over the 2nd half of last year. This team typically tails off with their PK as the season progresses so we'll see if it lasts. Nonetheless, I think we have more options and versatility to use on the units. A healthy TVR certainly helps.

Bad:

- PP. With Keith off of it I like the personnel we have out there a lot more as well as our ability to maintain the zone. While we've got some decent chances, we have GOT to move the puck around more quickly, then blast the FIRST good look we have on net. Not enough movement and not enough shooting. The personnel is certainly a massive upgrade over previous seasons.

- 1st line scoring. Thankfully they do so many other things EXTREMELY well that they don't have negative value when not scoring. All the same, I don't see Tikhonov as a good enough offensive completement to make that line work. I still think that TT is the long term solution for that line. He's good enough defensively and on the puck to not hurt them there, but has the playmaking ability and shot to help the scoring. But he needs to be there 7-10 games to see if it works. Not this 2 game ******** that Q often gives before he makes ******** changes.

Overall I'm really happy with how we look right now.

Did you come up with Mulletov Cocktail line? If so, we are not worthy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad