Post-Game Talk: Infuriating game

Nhlpowerweek

Senor
Oct 5, 2022
Kane could be really, really close against the maple leafs. So yall is getting the real deal back soon. He'll maketh this club stronger and much More heavier. He'll be eating some ears off soon enough :clap:

• Wow
Reactions: Stoneman89

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
When was the last time the Oilers had a goalie steal a close game for them?

Last game against the Flames at the end of December? 2 months ago?

The team has sub .900 sv% from both their goalies in 2023.

Neither of these guys are getting it done.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Accidentally read the title of this thread before watching the game.

Don't really understand it. Stoked with the effort. They were *just there* with a historically successful team. Without Kane and Player X.

Seattle just got smashed against Toronto, LA got smashed against Rangers, and Vegas got shutout today.

Not the end of the world barely losing to the beat team in the league.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Accidentally read the title of this thread before watching the game.

Don't really understand it. Stoked with the effort. They were *just there* with a historically successful team. Without Kane and Player X.

Seattle just got smashed against Toronto, LA got smashed against Rangers, and Vegas got shutout today.

Not the end of the world barely losing to the beat team in the league.
Agreed, as frustrated as I am about the loss, the effort and will was there.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Klimando Kostani

Sep 17, 2013
Victoria
Predictable result. Just nowhere near contender status.

Not even upset really. Just not good enough where it counts.
I agree predictable and not really upset.

But with this forward group you're always near contender status... Literally a #1 dman or even a 2/3 and stable 5/6 guy and we would easily be the favourites in the West. Simply either of Chychren or ekhold coming in and competently eating up 20 minutes a night would change the comection of the West entirely

But too often our D treats the puck like a grenade in their own zone

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017
Goalies still can't make a freaken save, pp opportunities lopsided again.

Was a solid game. Skinner should of had 2 of 3. Another game with save percentage under 9

Goaltending should be the priority it's by far are biggest hole

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
I thought both teams looked to be playing at 75-80%. Real lack of intensity compared to most of the games this year the B's played (and I felt lack of intensity from both teams). I don't remember a Bruins game where the bottom 6 outplayed the top 6 to that extent. Awful game by Pasta too largely, I think he felt pressure to match 97 (which obviously nobody can).

It's surreal watching 97. It literally never gets old. It's like he's neo in the matrix at any particular moment. You guys are damn lucky to have him.

I don't understand how Monty can play 5 forwards on the final 5 on 3, we were all baffled by that choice. Lots of little things to clean up. Based on the calendar I think it'll be Linus in nets when we go again March 9th in Boston. Everyone stay healthy and let's do this again in 10 days!

Reactions: Kerberos

Echodek

Feb 6, 2011
During the second period intermission did Cassie Campbell seriously try to downplay Mcdavids 50th as an attempt to upstage Matthews? That he’s somehow extra motivated for having lost the Hart trophy to Matthews last year?

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007

Not sure I've ever seen a double minor without a cut before.

Don't forget, this is the league that gave Kassian a triple minor. They just make shit up as they go along.

Reffing crew did a masterful job with Gary in the house to observe them.

Reactions: frag2

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
When was the last time the Oilers had a goalie steal a close game for them?

Last game against the Flames at the end of December? 2 months ago?

The team has sub .900 sv% from both their goalies in 2023.

Neither of these guys are getting it done.
Unfortunately this is what it boils down to.

The most consistent theme with this team all year is we always have the worse goalie. The oilers need to out chance their opponents significantly to even give themselves a shot each night. Sometimes by a lot...and still lose.

Our goalies suck. And it sucks that they suck.

Not saying the defense is good. But it's still give and take. Whether the chances are 20-10 with poor defense or 5-2 with strong defense it don't matter. Our goalies let in a larger ratio of chances then the opponents.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
This was a highly entertaining game, and under normal circumstances would be an entirely forgivable loss to the most dominant RS club since the 1978 Canadiens.

However...

In the past few weeks, they got down 4-0 to Columbus (and then lost) and were spanked 6-2 by Montreal. Those were entirely unforgiveable losses, especially the Columbus one. And not to forget five weeks ago, they managed 1 point against Columbus on home ice, losing in overtime.

So, that's at least three easy points they pissed away to Columbus, and make it five points it you count the Montreal loss (at leas they had the excuse of being tired in that one).

These lost "Columbus points" are going to come back to haunt the club somehow. I just know it.

Some notes on the Bruins' game:

-- Bruins 5 power plays; Oilers 1
-- McDavid remains in God-mode. The fastest Oiler 50-goal season (61 games) since Mr. Gretzky in 1986-87 when Wayne had 50 in 55 games.
-- Desharnais was a minus for the first time in his NHL career. (That end-of-game slash was really stupid, too, although I can see why he was frustrated.)
-- Yamamoto. Good grief... I have been supporting this player since day 1, and even earlier this year when he first came from injury he played well. But recently, he has been hot garbage and I am running out of patience with the "5 games on; 20 games off" thing. HE CANNOT SHOOT AND SCORE TO SAVE HIS LIFE. Yeah, I know he got one the other day in Pittsburgh with an empty net to shoot into, and he gets the odd one on a deflection, but when was the last time he shot the puck himself and beat a goalie? 2021? If Puljujarvi and Yamamoto had any hands between them, we'd have a much stronger club. If they had "average" hands, we'd be better. But they suck.
-- Nurse was back to brutal after two great games. I think I've noticed his trend. It's sad to have to point this out, but here it is: Basically, Nurse plays poorly against top clubs. He's great against weaker opponents; he's average against average opponents, and he's generally pretty bad against top teams. He would ideally be a 2nd-pairing defenceman, but he has that contract, so....
-- Finally, Draisaitl, a tip for you: When you have the puck on an odd-man rush... DO NOT PASS TO NURSE. (I'm not blaming Nurse here; I'm blaming Drai, who for God-knows-what-reason never wants to shoot the fricking puck on a rush.)

Reactions: Duke74

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
I'd add that Nurse also doesn't have to chase the Bruin forward behind the net leaving two Oilers defenders far from home in one zone and leaving a path right down Broadway for the player who scores. Kostin can't pull the Shute in that situation. But really why is Nurse behind the net?
Yeah this is another systems decision I don’t understand. It seems like instead of always keeping a defender on net front and having the C supporting below the goal line they prefer to have the C cover the slot while defenders do the dirty work in the corners and behind the net. Seems like they do this to increase odd man rush chances coming out of our zone but more often it just creates confusion in our own zone and many times the opponent ends up with a great look in the slot.

Zguy370

Dec 25, 2007
Goalies still can't make a freaken save, pp opportunities lopsided again.

Was a solid game. Skinner should of had 2 of 3. Another game with save percentage under 9

Goaltending should be the priority it's by far are biggest hole
Exactly this is and will be a big problem that needs to be taken care of, with improving our D yikes

Juxta Position

Jul 2, 2006
During the second period intermission did Cassie Campbell seriously try to downplay Mcdavids 50th as an attempt to upstage Matthews? That he’s somehow extra motivated for having lost the Hart trophy to Matthews last year?

Yes she did. I made a comment to my girlfriend last night that Cassie will take any opportunity to give a backhanded "compliment" to the Oilers and their players any chance she can.

Her flames love is too deep, she shouldn't be allowed to be on the panel for Oilers games.

Reactions: TB12

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
I thought both teams looked to be playing at 75-80%. Real lack of intensity compared to most of the games this year the B's played (and I felt lack of intensity from both teams). I don't remember a Bruins game where the bottom 6 outplayed the top 6 to that extent. Awful game by Pasta too largely, I think he felt pressure to match 97 (which obviously nobody can).

It's surreal watching 97. It literally never gets old. It's like he's neo in the matrix at any particular moment. You guys are damn lucky to have him.

I don't understand how Monty can play 5 forwards on the final 5 on 3, we were all baffled by that choice. Lots of little things to clean up. Based on the calendar I think it'll be Linus in nets when we go again March 9th in Boston. Everyone stay healthy and let's do this again in 10 days!
I agree. Seeing it live, the first was fun and open and it got bogged down thereafter. Bruins smart enough to shut down any comeback by the Oilers in the 3rd.

Also I'm not sure how bad it was on TV but the crowd was giving it to the ref for the 5 minute boarding call on Kostin. Between that and the 4 minute highstick, the ticky-tack hooking calls, just a perfect bush league night with Bettman in attendance.

And we didn't know live - how dare they prohibit a chance to boo the Commish?

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Everybody can see Minimoto is useless and getting gifted time on top6. His contract blocks all competition about ice time. That truly is pathetic.
not a pathetic as 6'4" physical specimen that has all the tools in the world to be an impact player but can't skate, can't handle the puck and throws muffins at the goalie...what a waste of physical tools

both Yamo and Jesse stink this season

Reactions: frag2

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad