Infection caused by exposure to equipment

javorka

Sep 9, 2006
That stuff does work really well. I gotta remember to pick some of that up again. Regular Febreze doesn't do jack.

But maybe this only makes things worse.....if you spray your stuff down, but miss a spot, or don't give all the surfaces a "lethal dose", won't the bacteria eventually develop resistance? I think doctors would say that.

JLHockeyKnight

IMA Real American
Apr 19, 2006
North Central Jersey
But maybe this only makes things worse.....if you spray your stuff down, but miss a spot, or don't give all the surfaces a "lethal dose", won't the bacteria eventually develop resistance? I think doctors would say that.

I don't think it would to be truthful. Most odor causing bacteria aren't THAT advanced I believe, and for that matter, the antibacterial stuff is usually so potent it won't be able to develop anything. The only reason it would stick around is if it misses it.

Injektilo

Feb 3, 2005
Taiwan
I just bought new roller blades, and i've developed a nasty blister on both my feet. I don't think I've had the skates long enough (used them for about two hours total) for them to get really sweaty, but all this talk is kinda worrying me.

now where'd i put that polysporin....

Jul 31, 2005
CA
I washed my ice hockey pants for the first time in 4 years last night after asking guys on my team if they do the same. The pants look fine, I believe they come with a washing label when you buy them and they are made to get wet. No more stink and they look a little newer.

biscuit937

Feb 21, 2007
Dayton
When I clean my things after practice I use a combination of peroxide and vinegar, I dip a sponge in it and then wipe things down. It kills the germs, hasn't harmed my gear, and has kept the smell down (except when the vinegar is wet, gah). I also finish with antimicrobial spray. Maybe that seems like a lot but it's worth it, I've seen too many fall victim to staph.

sc37

Jan 14, 2006
OH-IO
www.thescoreboards.com
If you got for a spray or wipe down, maybe try some scented alcohol of some sort. I've used hand sanitizer spray, which is sceneted alcohol. Give it a spray or two and it helps, and it's nice cause alcohol evaporates so you won't be soaking your stuff that much. But watch where you spray though cause alcohol can break down glue like in your helmet and such.

Muttley*

Two students from my former high school team recently contracted meningitis, believed to come from bacterias from our rinks locker room and dirty equipment. One was just released from the hospital recently and was initially given minimal chances on living. Make sure you're gear doesn't get too dirty.

would that be Ramapo H.S.?

Muttley*

How do I get the stink out of it?

Air:teach:

Bacteria likes warm, moist places. I never keep my equipment in my bag unless I'm on my way to and from a game. All of my equipment lays stretched out on the floor, out of my bag, hanging on old chairs, etc. all of the time. Even if I play late Friday night and again Saturday morning, I still take them out for the 7-8 hour gap. The not only stay clean, dry and smell better, but your equipment looks better and lasts longer.

crashlanding

Nov 29, 2005
Chicago
I just bought new roller blades, and i've developed a nasty blister on both my feet. I don't think I've had the skates long enough (used them for about two hours total) for them to get really sweaty, but all this talk is kinda worrying me.

now where'd i put that polysporin....
You shouldn't worry about that, breaking in skates is a *****. It'll probably take a few more times skating in them before they start to feel comfortable. In the mean time just take care of the blistered areas. I used to wrap athletic tape around the blisters and it kept them from getting worse.

Just remember to air out your skates and you should be okay.

JLHockeyKnight

IMA Real American
Apr 19, 2006
North Central Jersey
Air:teach:

Bacteria likes warm, moist places. I never keep my equipment in my bag unless I'm on my way to and from a game. All of my equipment lays stretched out on the floor, out of my bag, hanging on old chairs, etc. all of the time. Even if I play late Friday night and again Saturday morning, I still take them out for the 7-8 hour gap. The not only stay clean, dry and smell better, but your equipment looks better and lasts longer.

I air them out too, just wanted to know if there were other ways, because it dries out but it doesn't necessarily stop it from smelling bad...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad