Infection caused by exposure to equipment

OneMoreAstronaut

Reduce chainsaw size
May 3, 2003
I saw this several weeks back when someone was talking about a player who had a cut, which then infected, caused by the fact that he was often wearing sweaty equipment on the wound. This type of infection had a specific name, starting with an "s" I believe (though I can not be sure).

Name that infection! What is it called? I am looking for more information on it, as I am currently recovering from the same infliction.

Last edited:

JonathanK

McOptimistic
Aug 1, 2005
Edmonton, AB
i remember seeing something on tv about this. sorry name of it is at the tip of my toungue but i can't remember it. lol this'll bug me till i figure it out.

Tbone54

Jul 3, 2006
isnt it a staph infection??

One of the Buffalo guys had one last playoff series i believe.

Feb 24, 2004
Great stuff to have if you are worried is Liquid Band-aid or any comparable products.....covers the stuff right up while cleaning it out.

petenik

Oct 18, 2006
parts unknown
nasty stuff....be especially careful with cuts to the hand. We all know gloves smell the worst, well guess what's causing that smell? In university my roommate almost lost his arm from an infection. Not fun.

Muttley*

I saw this several weeks back when someone was talking about a player who had a cut, which then infected, caused by the fact that he was often wearing sweaty equipment on the wound. This type of infection had a specific name, starting with an "s" I believe (though I can not be sure).

Name that infection! What is it called? I am looking for more information on it, as I am currently recovering from the same infliction.

It happened to Patrik Elias in 2002. (unrealted to his hepatitis infection) They believe the cut developed on his finger from pulling tight on his laces when tying his skates, and then putting his hand in and out of sweaty glovess over a period of time caused it to turn into a serious infection. I remember hearing that if he let it go uncheked, he could have ended up having to have his entire hand amputated.

I found this article with a little blurb about it just as he missed his first game as it was starting to get serious:

http://bettorsreport.com/default.asp?c=sportsnetwork&page=nhl/scores/live/PV77757.htm

Last edited by a moderator:

mini-mite fan

Feb 4, 2005
MN, USA
I got this earlier this season. There are several different types of staph infection you can get; mine was one of the more severe {it was oxcicilan-resistant staff, which meant the bug was immune to almost every antibiotic available}. At first it was just this nasty green/yellowish puss under the scab (on my knee from rollerhockey with the kids & didn't have my shinguards on). Then it evolved into one set of my lymphnodes increasing in size to that of a grape then bursting (both painful and disgusting).

I tried to ride it out (I hate going in to the doc unless I absolutely have to) until the whole lymphnode burst issue, then I went to the doctor & they put in a "pick-line" that went in like an I.V. line at the wrist & went up an artery and emptied straight into my heart. I had that in my arm for a week and had to have 1 1/2 hour injections of meds each morning and night for a week and a half.

The doctor & nurses were all freaked out when the lab results came back with the particular type of staph I had. They said that if mine had got to the lungs or heart it could have become life threatening, so they were all like "thank God we caught this early" and stuff. They said the lymph node system acts like a superhighway for the body and while it helps the good stuff travel faster to fight the bad stuff, if the germs & bugs get on it - it lets them travel around the body just as fast.

:teach: Biggest thing that suprised me was that they said statistically 1/3rd of the population walks around everyday with one or more of the various staph infection strings on our skin. It is not a threat there; just if we have a cut, in the right spot that allows it to get to our bloodstream. Apparently athletes are at higher risk, as we sweat profusely, contact one another, and where the same equipment over & over without washing it.

Best recommendation: DO NOT F*@( AROUND with this! It can mess you up quick! If you get a cut or deep scrape that gets infected, have it looked at or tested if you can. Whether it's losing a limb or losing life, it ain't worth the risk.

TBLfan

Nov 25, 2005
Tampa, FL
tblfan.wordpress.com
Best advice is to air out and dry your equipment. Don't give mold or bacteria a chance to grow in your gear and you won't really have to worry about it. If your gear smells bad, it has bacteria... clean it.

saveourpens

Jul 3, 2006
Pittsburgh
wow, a couple of weeks ago, I had nasty infections on both my ankles, both my knees, behind my knees, some on my thigh, and one on my right thunb. I didn't know it could progress to having your body parts amputated. Pus was puring out of the infections.

Needless to say, I bought some high CCM socks and thin underarmour gloves and it has mostly subsided.

MikeD

Jul 3, 2006
Buffalo NY
www.hawksice.com
see if you have a local OZONE cleaning for sports equipment. It kills all those critters and only takes about 30 minutes. Gear is dry when you get it back. Most also then spray on an anti-microbial product.

Mist your gear down after each use....3 parts water to 1 part Isopropyl alcohol.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Joe Thornton was hospitalized for a staph infection in his elbow caused by his elbow pad few years ago. There's been quite a few cases.

nyrmessier011

Feb 9, 2005
Charlotte/NYC
Two students from my former high school team recently contracted meningitis, believed to come from bacterias from our rinks locker room and dirty equipment. One was just released from the hospital recently and was initially given minimal chances on living. Make sure you're gear doesn't get too dirty.

Jul 31, 2005
CA
I wash my elbow pads, jock and shin pads after every season. After I play each game I spray my elbow pads, shin pads, gloves and pants with anti-microbial Febreze. Try to get new gloves about once a year or when they start to smell regardless of the Febreze and airing out process. Only thing I've wanted to wash but haven't is my ice hockey pants. Will I ruin them if I throw them in on gentle cycle?

Happy Pony

Jan 17, 2006
Columbus
I wash my elbow pads, jock and shin pads after every season. After I play each game I spray my elbow pads, shin pads, gloves and pants with anti-microbial Febreze. Try to get new gloves about once a year or when they start to smell regardless of the Febreze and airing out process. Only thing I've wanted to wash but haven't is my ice hockey pants. Will I ruin them if I throw them in on gentle cycle?

I just thought of this so I haven't tried it yet, but what if you someone were to purchase a cheaper version of their equipment for testing. So you buy like a pair of used mini mite sized pants that are comprable to yours. See if washing them hurts and then you will know if it will hurt your pants.

javorka

Sep 9, 2006
I just thought of this so I haven't tried it yet, but what if you someone were to purchase a cheaper version of their equipment for testing. So you buy like a pair of used mini mite sized pants that are comprable to yours. See if washing them hurts and then you will know if it will hurt your pants.

Geez, I must be a bad mom....it never even occurred to me to wash my kid's hockey pants. If I was going to wash them, though, I'd check for a laundering label. If there wasn't one, I'd probably call the sports store where we bought them for advice.

javorka

Sep 9, 2006
So I'm still thinking about this.....if my kids' gear is dry, do the bacteria still stay viable and infectious once the gear is hot and sweaty again? I worry about the kids getting run over by a car, or cracking their heads if they fall off their bikes or the infinate number of other things that might happen to them.....now I have to worry about this, too!? :eek:

sticknrink

Aug 17, 2006
London

Staphylococcus aureus

Or more commonly known as (and quickly becoming an epidemic in the developed world) 'MRSA'.

I've had it before. ****. NOT. FUN. I'm paranoid about cleanliness now, I never use a towel for more than three showers and everytime I touch my nose I use antibacterial liquid. And everything gets hot washed. Even if it's just a quick pickup game. Definately do not want to deal with that again.

Last edited:

Goalie_Gal

Jul 15, 2006
Only thing I've wanted to wash but haven't is my ice hockey pants. Will I ruin them if I throw them in on gentle cycle?

I washed my goalie pants on gentle a couple of times, and they dont seem any worse for the wear.

JLHockeyKnight

IMA Real American
Apr 19, 2006
North Central Jersey

That stuff does work really well. I gotta remember to pick some of that up again. Regular Febreze doesn't do jack.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad