Trade: [IND/PHI] Carson Wentz for 2021 3rd round pick and 2022 conditional 2nd round pick

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Seeing that dead money, all I can surmise is that their money got up and wentz.
One big part of the Eagles off-season was that they were anticipating being able to restructure his deal so they didn’t get crushed by his cap hit. That’s why teams are willing to guarantee so much money early. And that’s why so many people, including me, thought it was next to impossible to trade him. His guaranteed money was a league record and now his dead cap is too.

Reactions: Voight

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Hey guys, I’m kind of a noob when it comes to the contracts of NFL players. Why is there dead cap space from a traded player that’s no longer on your team?
Signing bonus money already paid to the player. Unlike the NHL, in the NFL teams take on cap hits based on what they actually pay the player.

Brady for example, cost the Patriots like $17 mill in dead cap last season.
Brees will cost the Saints over $20 million, but he re-did his contract so it lessens the blow next season, but really just splits it over 2 seasons.

For guaranteed money, there are 2 main ways to give that to a player. Either via signing bonus, or you guarantee base salary early on during the contract. SF did that with Jimmy G, with only like a $7 million SB. His salary for the first couple of seasons was fully guaranteed, thus since they had cap space in those years, they used it rather than spread a signing bonus over multiple years.

Other teams who are up against the salary cap use a SB to push a cap hit into the future, with a rising salary cap.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Wentz will do well with the Colts. Perfect situation for him.
I agree. I also suggested that he'd should be willing to return some signing bonus money to facilitate a deal to Indy to incentvize Philly to send him them. They would take a lower dead cap hit if he returned a few million dollars to them.

But, it worked out for Wentz.

Philly, based on the conditions does appear barring a serious injury that the 2022 pick should be a first in the 20's. So a pick around 85 and another one if the 20's appear to be the price for Wentz.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Its definitely make or break for Hurts this upcoming season. The starting job is almost definitely his, unless another Russell Wilson comes along for the Iggles.
2022 draft has several QBs. So, if Hurts doesn't get Philly outside the top 10 of the draft, they likely will draft a QB with their pick and if they end up with a #1 from Indy, they use that pick on another position.

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
I legitimately feel bad for Wentz. As I, if not most of us, saw this coming the minute Philadelphia won the Super Bowl.

How can you surprised if he has quote on quote "mental issues" after putting up a damn statue with his former backup QB?

Wentz was a serious contender for MVP that season, wrecked his knee and has never been the same. Offensive line and skill players around him have declined as well. It's also quite possible that Wentz was just a product of Frank Reich that season.

But it was always going to end this way the minute Philadelphia won the Super Bowl without him. Wentz is going to the best possible destination and could very well flourish. It's a gamble for Indianapolis that could make up for not giving a 1st for Stafford.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Well in terms of protection, Colts have one of the best lines in the league. There is talent on both sides of the ball...if Reich can retool Wentz again, no doubt the Colts can contend in 2021.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
If his success is tied to a particular coach, that isn't a good thing. Good news is the Colts really didn't give up much.
Why would that not be a good thing? Especially when Reich isn’t going anywhere?

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Of course, but say Indy goes 8-8 next year and then 4-12 the year after. Does Reich keep his job? Maybe, but he could just as easily get canned.
Then the issue is not that he’s only good under one coach, he would be good under zero coaches

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad