Prospect Info: In the System IX (Ads and Prospects)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
For sure they still need to have their own AHL contracted players but it is Scott Nichol signing those player and Karl Taylor handing out ice time and responsibilities. Scott Nichol and Karl Taylor answer to David Poile. It didn't used to be that way. I specifically remember that the Chicago Wolves were especially notorious for not developing the NHL partner prospects and just concentrating on winning. Young NHL prospects would play limited minutes and not get any special teams responsibility in favor of career AHL guys that might create a better out come that game rather than suffering loses because of inexperienced mistakes.
When did the veteran rule come in? I'm sure we have some Tony Hrkac-era fans around here. But really ever since the absorption of the IHL, the AHL has been branding itself purely as a "development" league, and I guess while a few teams lagged a bit relative to others in embracing that, it's pretty much completely there now. Although even now, some teams spend more on "better" quality AHL veteran gunslingers than other teams do. Even while NHL teams and Ass't GMs run the show. So indeed, it's still a mixed bag in some ways. It's quite a fascinating series of factors that have conspired to bring the AHL from where it was in the 70s and 80s to where it is today. Including the NHL control element and also how international hockey has really taken over as the place for the veteran minor pros to make their living. In a way it's kind of less fun to follow now, I feel. But it must be more fun for the players who are playing in Switzerland or Austria or Italy or wherever instead of the IHL. :dunno:

Reactions: nine_inch_fang

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
What makes you think that Knott isn't a center?

And I don't expect him to be a savior, but if he can win some faceoffs, its better than what they have now. Baby steps.
Well, I'm not going to Google him or dig out old copies of draft previews or anything, I'm sure I've seen him play a few times but really my memory doesn't work so well anymore. It is just the picture in my head that he is more of a lumbering power winger type. But maybe he's playing center too, I have no idea.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Start a new farm team in Atlanta that is for Preds development and let the people of Wisconsin do what they will with the Admirals. GA and TN are brothers in arms.
Well, it's kind of the model of the modern AHL to go that route with NHL-controlled teams in geographic proximity in order to be pure feeders.

But I still see it as more an "ain't broke" situation. I think we've had a good relationship with Milwaukee. I wouldn't see any real need to go changing things up just for the sake of change at this point.

Although... if I am not mistaken, I think the partnership agreement was last extended until... uh, just 2022? Which is end of this season? Has there been any more recent extension?
:dunno:

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Well, it's kind of the model of the modern AHL to go that route with NHL-controlled teams in geographic proximity in order to be pure feeders.

But I still see it as more an "ain't broke" situation. I think we've had a good relationship with Milwaukee. I wouldn't see any real need to go changing things up just for the sake of change at this point.

Although... if I am not mistaken, I think the partnership agreement was last extended until... uh, just 2022? Which is end of this season? Has there been any more recent extension?
:dunno:

They have extended 2 years at a time for the entire 24 years.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Start a new farm team in Atlanta that is for Preds development and let the people of Wisconsin do what they will with the Admirals. GA and TN are brothers in arms.

This is the third and hopefully the last time I see you post this drivel.

The cities of Nashville and Milwaukee have a special relationship in sports.

The Admirals have been the #1 farm team since Nashville entered the NHL in 1998.

The Sounds are the #1 farm team for the Milwaukee Brewers and were also affiliated from 2005 to 2014.

Atlanta on the other hand, stole the Braves from Milwaukee in 1966. Atlanta stole the Milwaukee Hawks in 1955.

Now you want them to steal the Admirals. Ah Atlanta, the City of Thieves.

The Flames played in Atlanta from 1972 to 1980 and moved to Calgary.

The Thrashers played in Atlanta from 1999 to 2011 and moved to Winnipeg.

The IHL Atlanta Knight played from 1992 to 1996 and moved to Quebec.

NHL Hockey has been successful in Nashville for 22 seasons so far. The two cities are not brothers in skates!

Maybe some Canadians will like Atlanta getting another hockey team because they always move to Canada!

AintLifeGrand

Burnin Jet-A
Apr 8, 2009
GreatestSnowOnEarth
This is the third and hopefully the last time I see you post this drivel.

The cities of Nashville and Milwaukee have a special relationship in sports.

The Admirals have been the #1 farm team since Nashville entered the NHL in 1998.

The Sounds are the #1 farm team for the Milwaukee Brewers and were also affiliated from 2005 to 2014.

Atlanta on the other hand, stole the Braves from Milwaukee in 1966. Atlanta stole the Milwaukee Hawks in 1955.

Now you want them to steal the Admirals. Ah Atlanta, the City of Thieves.

The Flames played in Atlanta from 1972 to 1980 and moved to Calgary.

The Thrashers played in Atlanta from 1999 to 2011 and moved to Winnipeg.

The IHL Atlanta Knight played from 1992 to 1996 and moved to Quebec.

NHL Hockey has been successful in Nashville for 22 seasons so far. The two cities are not brothers in skates!

Maybe some Canadians will like Atlanta getting another hockey team because they always move to Canada!

The average Nashvillian doesn't even know Milwaukee exists.

OTOH, the average Nashvillian looks to Atlanta as its Muse as the Capital of the South.

The Hawk also moved from St Louis to Atlanta, not Milwaukee.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
I hate Atlanta and all of their sports teams. Not that my opinion matters.

And Atlanta wouldnt give a solitary shit about a minor league hockey team.

If you seriously wanted a Preds minor league affiliate in the South, Huntsville would be the obvious choice.

(But I'm fine with Milwaukee)

AintLifeGrand

Burnin Jet-A
Apr 8, 2009
GreatestSnowOnEarth
I hate Atlanta and all of their sports teams. Not that my opinion matters.

And Atlanta wouldnt give a solitary shit about a minor league hockey team.

If you seriously wanted a Preds minor league affiliate in the South, Huntsville would be the obvious choice.

(But I'm fine with Milwaukee)
Huntsville is a 2 bit horsetown that is only on the Map because of Werner Von Braun.

Atlanta deserves AHL hockey until we can get the Thrashers back and I can relinquish my torturous predators fandom.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Huntsville is a 2 bit horsetown that is only on the Map because of Werner Von Braun.

Atlanta deserves AHL hockey until we can get the Thrashers back and I can relinquish my torturous predators fandom.

Atlanta doesnt want or need hockey, they have made that abundantly clear.

And I promise, we wont beg you to stay.... I hear Carolina has a nice comfy bandwagon

Reactions: Viqsi and cjerina

AintLifeGrand

Burnin Jet-A
Apr 8, 2009
GreatestSnowOnEarth
Atlanta doesnt want or need hockey, they have made that abundantly clear.

And I promise, we wont beg you to stay.... I hear Carolina has a nice comfy bandwagon

Atlanta is the Capital of the South and a Beta + World City per the Globalization and World Cities Research Network. As a former Olympic host, it is worthy and deserves to have the entire Big 4 sports leagues.

From a global and even national perspective, Nashville is a blip on the radar.

Atlanta had better attendance than Nashville and a higher league profile many of the years they were both in existence and you came damn close to losing your team as well... It still could happen.. maybe even to Atlanta :naughty:

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Atlanta is the Capital of the South and a Beta + World City per the Globalization and World Cities Research Network. As a former Olympic host, it is worthy and deserves to have the entire Big 4 sports leagues.

From a global and even national perspective, Nashville is a blip on the radar.

Atlanta had better attendance than Nashville and a higher league profile many of the years they were both in existence and you came damn close to losing your team as well... It still could happen.. maybe even to Atlanta :naughty:

Wow. Sorry about your feeling of municipal inadequacy.

I could counter by simply saying Atlanta is the past, Nashville is the future. But it really doesnt matter.

AintLifeGrand

Burnin Jet-A
Apr 8, 2009
GreatestSnowOnEarth
Wow. Sorry about your feeling of municipal inadequacy.

I could counter by simply saying Atlanta is the past, Nashville is the future. But it really doesnt matter.

What metrics do you have to base that on? The city, whose sole existence relies on minstrels entertaining the unwashed masses of the nation?

Or the city home to 16 Fortune 500 companies, including 2 of the most iconic global brands in the world?

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
What metrics do you have to base that on? The city, whose sole existence relies on minstrels entertaining the unwashed masses of the nation?

Or the city home to 16 Fortune 500 companies, including 2 of the most iconic global brands in the world?

How quaint, that you think Nashville is just about music.

Nashville is a major health care center, plus Nissan, Bridgestone, and the new Amazon facility. Entertainment is literally a sideshow these days. And I'm pretty sure Nashville was the top rated city for economic growth in 2021.

And I dont even live here, I'm just countering your absurdity

cjerina

Nov 5, 2008
One of these days yall will put these idiots on ignore. They literally bring nothing of substance.

I enjoy people who complain that Atlanta needs minor league hockey while it seems they refuse to support the present minor league hockey in the area. Its like groundhog day, the same person pops his head out once a year to see if anyone will take the bait, then its 6 more posts about the same stuff. ;)

Reactions: Armourboy

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
How quaint, that you think Nashville is just about music.

Nashville is a major health care center, plus Nissan, Bridgestone, and the new Amazon facility. Entertainment is literally a sideshow these days. And I'm pretty sure Nashville was the top rated city for economic growth in 2021.

And I don't even live here, I'm just countering your absurdity
The top 2 economic drivers in Nashville are advanced manufacturing ($70b) and healthcare ($67b), which easily outproduces our music industry ($16b). We are the healthcare capital of the country. Also, we're number 2 in the country in job creation over the last decade, only trailing Austin, TX, and our one of the top 10 fastest growing metro areas in each of the last 5 years.

Reactions: Armourboy

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
The top 2 economic drivers in Nashville are advanced manufacturing ($70b) and healthcare ($67b), which easily outproduces our music industry ($16b). We are the healthcare capital of the country. Also, we're number 2 in the country in job creation over the last decade, only trailing Austin, TX, and our one of the top 10 fastest growing metro areas in each of the last 5 years.
Yeah and I think Oracle is moving in as well so thats even more that isnt just music.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Can you please take your senseless bickering to the off topic thread? It has nothing to do with the admirals or our prospects.

On a thread related topic, I wish we’d call up afanasyev to bring some offensive capabilities to the bottom line

Reactions: triggrman

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
On a thread related topic, I wish we’d call up afanasyev to bring some offensive capabilities to the bottom line

Yeah he seemed to be so close to making the roster out of a camp and so it doesn't make sense why he is so low down the list of call-ups. Would be the perfect opportunity to get him a couple games while we have some injuries. Surely he could be at least as good as McCarron has been.

Last edited:

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Yeah he seemed to be so close to making the roster out of a camp and surely he so it doesn't make sense why he is so low down the list of call-ups. Would be the perfect opportunity to get him a couple games while we have some injuries. Surely he could be at least as good as McCarron has been.
McCarron and Olivier are redundant to me. Size and snarl with minimal offensive flair. Doesn’t make sense to me to stack a line with those two.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
McCarron and Olivier are redundant to me. Size and snarl with minimal offensive flair. Doesn’t make sense to me to stack a line with those two.
Hopefully without offending McCarron, it's just clear enough that he's not really an NHL player. And despite his size he's not exactly an intimidating fighter or anything either, despite that being about his only way to maintain an occasional NHL presence. Olivier can skate and forecheck well enough to sneak in as a #12/13 forward who plays with somewhat better players than him on a 4th line (Herd Line 1.0 was fine). But MCarron isn't better than him, and that combination effectively eliminates our 4th line as passing the NHL bar.

Fair enough, we have Forsberg and Cousins on the shelf atm, and teams do have to reach into their minor league depth. We are far from the worst-off in that regard around the league.

I would keep Olivier going, and replace McCarron with Afanaseyev. It sounds like Milwaukee could use McCarron as a center also. When Forsberg comes back, Afanaseyev goes down. (When Cousins comes back, Smith goes down and Olivier goes to the pressbox).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad