GDT: "In The Running" • FLAT CAP FRENZY • Oct.9.2020 • 10 AM • SN / TSN

Which of these free agents do you want the Oilers to sign?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

sportsfan944804

Aug 7, 2020
Markstrom's #'s are propped up by a pretty good Vancouver defence in comparison to ours. Koskinen had almost identical SV% playing on a worse defence last season. We can't afford to be spending 9.5 mil on goalies. It's too rich for a team already paying huge dollars to their stars.

We should be riding Koskinen next year with a cheap backup, and using the cap space we have plus Klefbom's LTIR money to acquire a couple wingers or a defenceman if one wants to actually come here. Imagine picking up Hall, Toffoli, and Cousins? Would be big.

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
I'd be cautious about giving a big contract to Markstrom. In general I don't like paying goalies too much, but anything over the contract that Lehner got would be an overpayment. I don't think there's a huge difference between Kosko and Markstrom, and that extra term + AAV could get dangerous.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Maroon. Want Oilers to be the next stanley cup champs. The voodoo that was put on him is still good for 3 more years

Vagabond

Dec 24, 2004
Edmonton
My wet dream would be

The Oilers sign Hall, Barrie, Greiss and Grant.

Klefbom goes on LTIR and retires. Lol

Grant is an awesome third line center that has size and wins faceoffs. He also can pop 15 goals.

Far fetched but if you don't dream, you might as well be dead.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I only voted on Benning for much needed depth on the RD, Brassard for a cheap but effective 3C + he's a vet, and Maroon because he can play anywhere in the line up is a LW and has good chemistry with McDavid.

We obviously need a good back up but they also need to be cheap.

Even with shedding salary we still have a lot of guys that need good long term contracts. I would prioritize getting Bear signed long term much like we did Klefbom. I would leave extra cap open for paying off overages, Bouchard's +? bonuses, and the realization that next year there is a lot of work that needs to be done. And the next year even more. And the next year even more. And then prep for Draisaitl big raises. And the McDavid... etc.

It's fun to fantasies but our cap situation is bleak moving forward.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Oilers offering 7 years @ 5M for Markstrom per Dreger

The rumour was we were going to offer extra term to keep the AAV lower. That offer makes sense. Goalies often make it to 37 at a high level, and 5 million is cheap. That’s only 500k more than Koski. If you can move out Koski, that’s a huge upgrade

Reactions: McJesusSaves97

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Oilers offering 7 years @ 5M for Markstrom per Dreger

I watched too much of Vancouver last year and the games I watched Markstrom was their whole team. Their team defense and defense were very weak at defending.

But that's only one year of greatness, a contract year to boot. After guys like Gilbert and Horcoff I will never trust a player with one great year right before their contract is up.

7 years is too long as well.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Everybody is so obsessed with the forwards and while there's some needs there, are people forgetting that their #1 Dman might be out for the year?

Forget spending a boatload on Hall or Markstrom (unless they can trade Koskinen), they have to address that Klefbom void. Brodie would probably be the best option, Vatanen would be my 2nd choice. Barrie would be fine too but the other two are more well rounded. This should be the top priority along with trying to move out money then get the goalie and fill out the 3rd line with solid depth players, Kahun and Haula or Wennberg would be nice if possible.

sportsfan944804

Aug 7, 2020
Everybody is so obsessed with the forwards and while there's some needs there, are people forgetting that their #1 Dman might be out for the year?

Forget spending a boatload on Hall or Markstrom (unless they can trade Koskinen), they have to address that Klefbom void. Brodie would probably be the best option, Vatanen would be my 2nd choice. Barrie would be fine too but the other two are more well rounded. This should be the top priority along with trying to move out money then get the goalie and fill out the 3rd line with solid depth players, Kahun and Haula or Wennberg would be nice if possible.
Call me crazy, but I think that Caleb Jones will take a lot of Klefbom's minutes and do more with them than Klef could.

Reactions: Vagabond

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
He won't take that and I thought there was no courting period between the draft and the open of free agency.
If you think teams aren't finding ways of talking to players with no courting period, you're deliberately fooling yourself.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
The issue with the Oilers defense is how to spread Klefboms minutes. Bear and Nurse can't play anymore. Especially 5v5. Playing Bear or Nurse on the PP would kill them right now. That said they do penalty kill, so maybe you find a good penalty killer to take those minutes so one of them could be on the PP.

We also need a guy signed for the next 2 years on defense that we can expose in the expansion draft.

Imo we look for a good 5v5 defender to take Klefboms 5v5 minutes.and either have a guy like Barrie/Bouchard/Bear taking the PP minutes.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
If you want to land a big asset in UFA season where you can gain a good player by giving up nothing but $$, then overpaying either in term or per year salary is the nature of the game, especially when you're Edmonton and don't have the bells and whistles to offer like a TB, New York or LA does. If you're not willing to do it, then don't bitch when your team always finishes 2nd best in these sweepstakes.

It's an overpay, but I would pay it for Markstrom. I've watched enough Canucks games over the past couple years to believe he'd be an upgrade over Koskinen. He's extremely talented, and he's finally matured after a rough early start to his career when he struggled a lot with consistency. And for me, the #1 thing this team needs to address going into next season is to finally obtain a solid #1 netminder that his teammates can rely on. It makes all the difference in the world to the mindset of a team, and he's the only player on the team that plays all 60 minutes in a game.

Reactions: Oilers in NS

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
Waiting for Hall to sign with the Oilers at 10:01 on Friday.

f44a1f8643196544cd31ab9501e3e62f.jpg

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
So we have to move a right winger eh?

Pulju, Chiasson, Kassian, Archibald, Yamamoto and Neal (much better on his right)

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
Seravalli also has said its “assumed” the Oilers are the front runners for Markstrom.

Personally, I think it’s an attempt to get Van to up their offer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad