Speculation: In the Event That Buffalo Lands McDavid, Do You Think Murray Goes For Eichel Too?

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
If he wanted to try and see what it would take to get Eichel, then go for it. That doesn't mean he should or would actually do it. In reality, this isn't even going to be an option for us.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
in a weak eastern conference... they made one conference finals appearance in the last 5 years... and got swept.

yes, "on paper" they are a contender every year.

They finish in the top 5 in points every year. That's not on paper. Those are results. And when you have those types of results, you are a favorite. Not on paper, in real life.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
They finish in the top 5 in points every year. That's not on paper. Those are results. And when you have those types of results, you are a favorite. Not on paper, in real life.

They got over the hump once and haven't been back since, and it's largely due to poor roster construction behind the big two. Yeah, Fleury imploded the one year.....but by and large, the fact that they haven't won multiple Cups is due to poor roster construction....especially on the 3rd and 4th lines.

FearTheBeard

Mar 27, 2011

Regular season is only half the battle. Are you seriously proposing teams like Pittsburgh find themselves successful after a season they lost in the first 2 rounds? Regardless of how many points they got in the regular season. Why do you think they fired their coach

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
They got over the hump once and haven't been back since, and it's largely due to poor roster construction behind the big two. Yeah, Fleury imploded the one year.....but by and large, the fact that they haven't won multiple Cups is due to poor roster construction....especially on the 3rd and 4th lines.

Regular season is only half the battle. Are you seriously proposing teams like Pittsburgh find themselves successful after a season they lost in the first 2 rounds? Regardless of how many points they got in the regular season. Why do you think they fired their coach

Their best players weren't their best players. They didn't lose because of their third and fourth lines. They've lost because Crosby and Malkin haven't played at a high enough standard. This is the narrative people choose to (wrongly) use when discussing the pens, because of course it couldn't be the big guns fault.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida

that's just it... you can't tell the difference between the 82 game season and the 4 round season.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida

... and the blueline

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
... and the blueline

Before Maatta fell ill, I really liked their blueline this year.

Previous years, I agree. Some of MAF's collapses can be put squarely on the defense.

.............which should be even more proof that if you find stud defensemen, you do not trade them. at all.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Their best players weren't their best players. They didn't lose because of their third and fourth lines. They've lost because Crosby and Malkin haven't played at a high enough standard. This is the narrative people choose to (wrongly) use when discussing the pens, because of course it couldn't be the big guns fault.

Did you enlighten your position at all with this post?

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
Before Maatta fell ill, I really liked their blueline this year.

Previous years, I agree. Some of MAF's collapses can be put squarely on the defense.

.............which should be even more proof that if you find stud defensemen, you do not trade them. at all.

Risto is a good prospect. But this assumption that he's GOING to be a stud no. 1 is a reach. For all we know, he'll be Dmitri Kalinin.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Is this supposed to mean we should expect McDavid and Eichel to underperform in the playoffs?

It means you are capable of recognizing the risk of putting so many eggs in the basket.

In business of roster construction, with a goal of building a sustainable contender and winning the cup:

McDavid+Reinhart+Risto+2015 1st+2015 1st+2016 1st > McDavid+Eichel

Selanne00008

Jun 2, 2006
NYC - UES
I agree to not sell the farm for sure. But hell, if Edmonton is proposing the NYI first, STL 1st and Risto.... As much as I love Risto, I'll pack his bags. Even with the draft so strong, the late 1st round picks are still crap shoots. We are really only losing one corner piece, and quite frankly our Goals Per Game is atrocious.

regardless, it's not happening. Maybe a fan or two would go for that trade, but no GM would. Point is moooooot.

FearTheBeard

Mar 27, 2011
It means you are capable of recognizing the risk of putting so many eggs in the basket.

In business of roster construction, with a goal of building a sustainable contender and winning the cup:

McDavid+Reinhart+Risto+2015 1st+2015 1st+2016 1st > McDavid+Eichel

exactly. Stokes you proved our point with your argument. Their best players didn't play well enough, and when that happens, they don't have the depth to win important games. You can't count on 2 guys for 82 games + the 4 round season. You need a complete roster

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Is this supposed to mean we should expect McDavid and Eichel to underperform in the playoffs?

Risto is a good prospect. But this assumption that he's GOING to be a stud no. 1 is a reach. For all we know, he'll be Dmitri Kalinin.

If you want to take about uncertainties with Prospect A then you need to talk about uncertainties with Prospects B & C as well.

I would suggest that guessing that McDavid and Eichel turn into regular season studs and playoff duds is more likely to happen than Risto turning into Tree.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
exactly. Stokes you proved our point with your argument. Their best players didn't play well enough, and when that happens, they don't have the depth to win important games. You can't count on 2 guys for 82 games + the 4 round season. You need a complete roster

not true. Nobody wins the cup when their best players aren't performing.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
not true. Nobody wins the cup when their best players aren't performing.

Buffalo is building a team that could have 5-10ish players labeled as their "best players"... that's the entire point of going all in on the rebuild. They will have top end players AND top end depth, that will be the source of their strength as a long term contender in the future.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
Buffalo is building a team that could have 5-10ish players labeled as their "best players"... that's the entire point of going all in on the rebuild. They will have top end players AND top end depth, that will be the source of their strength as a long term contender in the future.

5-10 players labeled as their best player? That seems to be a stretch. If we get McDavid or Eichel, they will be labeled as the best player. Part of the point of going full in on the rebuild was to build a cache to make a trade when/if the right player came along. Getting an 18 year old Jack Eichel is my idea of the right player. Plus, I imagine the idea of playing on a team with Eichel and McDavid would be quite intriguing to UFAs in the future. There are plenty of ways to build a team, but with those two as your focal point, it makes life a lot easier.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
5-10 players labeled as their best player? That seems to be a stretch. If we get McDavid or Eichel, they will be labeled as the best player. Part of the point of going full in on the rebuild was to build a cache to make a trade when/if the right player came along. Getting an 18 year old Jack Eichel is my idea of the right player. Plus, I imagine the idea of playing on a team with Eichel and McDavid would be quite intriguing to UFAs in the future. There are plenty of ways to build a team, but with those two as your focal point, it makes life a lot easier.

I believe it is far easier to build a cup contender with McDavid, a former 2nd overall F, a former top 10 overall D, and three more 1st rounders than McDavid and Eichel.

You appear to have SOS.

Shiny object syndrome.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
I believe it is far easier to build a cup contender with McDavid, a former 2nd overall F, a former top 10 overall D, and three more 1st rounders than McDavid and Eichel.

You appear to have SOS.

Shiny object syndrome.

Eichel is a lock to be a superstar IMO. None of the other pieces are locks for anything.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Eichel is a lock to be a superstar IMO. None of the other pieces are locks for anything.

The key is to build a team, not "superstars".

Boston and LA aren't contenders because they have a multitude of "superstars".

And I would say that Reinhart and Ristolainen are locks to be top end players and both of the 2015 1sts and the 2016 1st should be expected to be big time contributors to the club long term.

Giving up a multitude of assets for one player, even a prospect as highly touted as Eichel, likely pushes the rebuild back as it makes it harder to build a team around McDavid and Eichel quickly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad