In Soviet Russia, Ryan O'Reilly signs you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Well that's somewhat optimistic, but I think the extreme delicacy of O'Reilly's situation, and that every agent and GM knows the Avs will not tolerate negotiating through the media, means that he's more likely to just make boring we're still talking comments on his situation, as opposed to putting a little more pressure on Suban's negotiations. Just a thought.

Not trying to be optimistic but trying to report the exact words coming from Meehan. Perhaps he didn't want to categorize how close the sides were but he chose to ignore that question.

At least the sides are talking.

Avelanche

#freeRedmond
Jun 11, 2011
Boston
I thought RFA contracts went to an arbiter to set the pay for a year or something? This is really disappointing getting back into hockey after the lockout to hear about possibly losing Radar ...:(

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Not trying to be optimistic but trying to report the exact words coming from Meehan. Perhaps he didn't want to categorize how close the sides were but he chose to ignore that question.

Of course they are talking. Staying in Russia, no matter what O'Reilly's camp says, would be a terrible solution for him. It's 100% a squeeze and if it blows up in the face, it's because he is getting horrible advice from his agent and the people around him. It should lead to O'Reilly switching representation if he has any sense.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Of course they are talking. Staying in Russia, no matter what O'Reilly's camp says, would be a terrible solution for him. It's 100% a squeeze and if it blows up in the face, it's because he is getting horrible advice from his agent and the people around him. It should lead to O'Reilly switching representation if he has any sense.

^^^ Was thinking exactly this!

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

No I understand. To me, the fact they are talking is only optimistic in terms of this situation not laboring on all season. I would be shocked if O'Reilly is signed and isn't traded.

I think the ongoing discussions are more for the benefit of another team, so they know his contract, and he's locked into it. At this point it's obvious to all GM's O'Reilly is willing to stay in the KHL. That brings with it added leverage to continue holding out after a trade, that the usual contract holdout whose not getting paid doesn't have.

I think it's very likely that he'll need to be signed before he's traded at this point.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
nah.
I can't wait to see what we get for the greedy ****.

Yea, I won't be nearly as hurt. The Avs got cheap, and let a heart and soul UFA in his 30's walk. In this situation, the Avs are getting cheap with a 21 year old RFA, and he's getting too greedy, or letting bad advice from his agent influence him too much, and is refusing to return when the team still holds his NHL rights.

The Avs were more unreasonable and stubborn in Lappy's case. In this situation, I think that falls on the player.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Sign Jones and Parenteau for 4 years and $16 million, and yet these guys are balking at O'Reilly's demands!?

Bottom line, the Avs said they were waiting to spend big until a new CBA was in place. I'm not expecting them to break out giant suitcases full of money now that the CBA has been ratified, but when they're seemingly reluctant to re-sign their best player to the raise he's entitled to...I can't help but think they're not putting their money where their mouth is.

Look, I can totally see them signing Duchene to a prove-your-worth contract after the horrendous year he had. But one thing a friend pointed out to me was that defensive forwards never have bad years defensively. And last year ROR proved beyond a doubt he's a force at both ends of the ice and can play in all situations. This should NEVER have gone beyond the lockout--it's officially a farce, and the Avs have no one but themselves to blame.

Ice Crusher

Apr 10, 2011
Quebec City
Just heard live minutes ago on Hockey Central at Noon, interview with Don Meehan when asked about O'Rielly and if the two sides were close:

"People from our office were talking with GM Greg Sherman last night and have been in constant communication with the Avalanche (assuming since MOU)".

He wouldn't say whether the two sides were close or not.

Earlier in the interview, when asked the same question about Subban, he definitely said the two sides were NOT close.

There you go.

It does sounds optimistic. I really doubt that O'Reilly is willing to stay in the KHL for two more seasons just for a little more money. Wouldn't surprised me for a Russian but from a Canadian like O'Reilly with a promising career in the NHL? On the other side, there is the Avs whos looking to close a deal on their leading scorer and their best defensive forward by far last season. I doubt they will let him go just like that...for a couple millions.

If It's really for money matter...O'Reilly should probably watch Moneyball:sarcasm:

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Sign Jones and Parenteau for 4 years and $16 million, and yet these guys are balking at O'Reilly's demands!?

Bottom line, the Avs said they were waiting to spend big until a new CBA was in place. I'm not expecting them to break out giant suitcases full of money now that the CBA has been ratified, but when they're seemingly reluctant to re-sign their best player to the raise he's entitled to...I can't help but think they're not putting their money where their mouth is.

Look, I can totally see them signing Duchene to a prove-your-worth contract after the horrendous year he had. But one thing a friend pointed out to me was that defensive forwards never have bad years defensively. And last year ROR proved beyond a doubt he's a force at both ends of the ice and can play in all situations. This should NEVER have gone beyond the lockout--it's officially a farce, and the Avs have no one but themselves to blame.

You are misjudging the situation here.
I am in the Avs are cheap camp but they are rightfully cheap here.

This is a RFA negotiation and not an UFA negotiation. The leverage lies with the team and not the player. Jones and PAP were UFAs. They had the leverage. If we don't pay up they walk or go elsewhere.

With all the young guys, the Avs are trying to keep those second contracts low. That sets a standard. And I like the "bridge-contracts" which keep the money low, and give the young guys a chance to prove themselves. Than the Avs pay them but they don't have to overpay because they are still RFA ( that is why I am not a fan of the EJ contract).

ROR did something stupid. He took business negotiations seriously.
Those negotiations are all about money and leverage. You must not take anything said there personally.
He did. Now he will get traded. And I hate it.

I stand with Sherman on his second contract stance, though!

Arto Kilponen

Oct 29, 2006
Helsinki, Finland
Seems to me that the deal is a pretty easy here. 2 years 8m. If ROR doesn't perform, he gets shipped out, if he does, he gets his big deal in 18 months.

I think that's reasonable. Like you basically said, it would be 8 million for 130 games (plus possible playoffs) so about 4.75 million per a 82-game season.

Hennessy

Ye Jacobites, by name
Dec 20, 2006
On my keister
Career-high of 55 points and he wants $5M a year. For a guy who has 107 points, total.

Sure, he's solid defensively, but to demand that sort of money at this time is ill-advised. To hold out while playing in Russia, with some game about how he'll come back if the Avs at least equal what he signed for over there - as I said when this stuff first broke, he's toast.

The Avs offered him a 5 year deal and a two year deal at $3.5M. He didn't want the security of the longer deal, and he doesn't want the money of the shorter. I can understand the former, but the latter? In two years maybe he'll have earned that $5M payday. But right now that's absurd.

Even if they come to a deal of 3 years at $4M per I don't see O'Reilly sticking around. I mean, what if he scores 60 in the final year of that contract? Who knows how much he'll think he's entitled to.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Yeah this is what worries me... No way Colorado pays that.

If it is $5m or nothing for ROR, he is gone. If he is willing to budge, there is room to get a deal done. The 5 year $17m offer was VERY fair IMO. In that there is probably room to move that to somewhere around 18-19m, but not 25m.

If that TPS said it was close this summer, assuming with those offers, it sounds like ROR moved the goalline.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
I don't know why people are treating the Dater article like anything other than what it is...which is an "obvious article". It's painfully obvious that the Avs aren't going to let it leak that they're shopping ROR (if they are).

Reporting that they're "not trying to trade him at this time" is something I'm not sure I believe at this point.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I don't know why people are treating the Dater article like anything other than what it is...which is an "obvious article". It's painfully obvious that the Avs aren't going to let it leak that they're shopping ROR (if they are).

Reporting that they're "not trying to trade him at this time" is something I'm not sure I believe at this point.

There is no reason to assume anything other than Avs wanting O'Reilly to be an Avs player for a long time.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
If Dater's article is right with the comparables his agent is using, he's way off base.

Firstly, Winnipeg overpaid for Kane, who is also a highly touted 4th overall pick, that has outscored O'Reilly each of the last two years. Winnipeg also has to overpay for players, because they have trouble bringing in UFA's like Edmonton does.

More importantly, the Krejci comparison is ridiculous. He's on his 3rd contract, and the one that should be a comparison if any was his second. Guess what his second contract was? Three years with a $3.75M cap hit. He also was coming off a 73 point season, and had two nearly PPG playoff runs under his belt.

As Dater mentioned, another comparison is Duchene, and even Giroux's contract. He was coming off his ELC in 2011, and a 76 point season, and he signed the very same three year $3.75M per deal that Krejci signed.

Offense pays in this league. Not character and two way play at his age. Some offensive players get paid long term on their second contracts, but two way guys almost always have to wait till they're UFA's, or upcoming UFA's. If players like Krejci and Giroux are coming off 73 and 76 point seasons at the same age, and signing at $3.75M, O'Reilly and his agent have no business trying to make favorable comparisons.

Last edited:

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
If it is $5m or nothing for ROR, he is gone. If he is willing to budge, there is room to get a deal done. The 5 year $17m offer was VERY fair IMO. In that there is probably room to move that to somewhere around 18-19m, but not 25m.

If that TPS said it was close this summer, assuming with those offers, it sounds like ROR moved the goalline.

Yeah but not only did he move it... he set it in stone, that is if in-fact his KHL contract is 4M. Colorado would at the very least have to give him 3 years @ 4Myr in order to beat the KHL contract.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
There is no reason to assume anything other than Avs wanting O'Reilly to be an Avs player for a long time.

Say what you will for the chances of him getting or not getting traded, but there's every reason to assume the Avs could be looking to trade him. Despite ongoing talks to come to terms. That's a very safe assumption given how this has played out, and the Avalanche's history with their purse strings and distaste for contract holdouts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad