Speculation: In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) XXXIII ‎

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I expect Sustr to go to New York. He isn't ready for the NHL, and likely knows that. He should go to a team that has a record of developing good defensemen and will have a need for the sort of player he can become in 2-3 years. Seems like an obvious fit.

The Rangers didn't do so well with their last college free agent though (Gilroy). And I would think he'd want to go to a team where he has an easier time cracking the lineup. Not sure he has that chance with guys like McIlrath ahead of him on the depth chart.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
As much intrigue as there is in Sustr. I really just want the Avs to sign Nate Schmidt. There is some real talent there and he is a realistic target. Laganiere would be another great get, that could be realistic. Both add needed parts to the prospect pool, and because of that would have a chance to contribute early.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Who cares if Perry is a dick... he can play hockey at a high level, and he isn't getting in trouble with the law. A good portion of professional athletes are what you would call dicks. I'm sure there are a number on every team, including the Avs.

Don't break the law, don't do stupid things during the season, don't be a locker room distraction. If they can do all that off the ice, then I am fine with them.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Hey guys, I know it's only natural to want to talk about the "gossippy" speculation surrounding Athlete's and Celebrities, but unless there's an actual story backing up some of what's being said in here, we need to abstain from that. (regarding the Perry talk)

It's considered libel and is against site rules.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Why? He'd cost an arm and a leg and by the time we'd be ready to contend he'd be in his mid 30's.

Not sure I see the logic in trading for Pominville. $5.5m salary, unrestricted free agent next summer(2014), already 30 years old, and like Ivan said, likely won't be a key piece or even around when we're ready to try and win(whenever that is). Plus he is their captain. There are several other pieces I'd be more interested in than

Depends on what they have to give up. If Jones and a conditional 1st (top 5 protected) upon him resigning can be a big part of the deal along with a prospect, I'm fine with it.

You're correct though, a playoff team this year likely could outbid the Avs.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Depends on what they have to give up. If Jones and a conditional 1st (top 5 protected) upon him resigning can be a big part of the deal along with a prospect, I'm fine with it.

You're correct though, a playoff team this year likely could outbid the Avs.

I'm honestly puzzled by the fact that you're so eager to trade away our 1st rounder. Teams which are in a position the Avs are currently in shouldn't trade away their 1st round picks unless someone completely blows their socks off and Pominville while he's a good player doesn't fit this teams plans in any way shape or form.

Also since the Sabers are a team I follow closely I can't think of a single deal that would make sense for both teams, Sabers are probably trying to unload their veterans (Vanek, Miller, Pominville) and underperforming players (Stafford, Regher, Leopold, etc) for young roster players and/or draft pick, which is something Avs can't and shouldn't trade away.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I'm honestly puzzled by the fact that you're so eager to trade away our 1st rounder. Teams which are in a position the Avs are currently in shouldn't trade away their 1st round picks unless someone completely blows their socks off and Pominville while he's a good player doesn't fit this teams plans in any way shape or form.

Also since the Sabres are a team I follow closely I can't think of a single deal that would make sense for both teams, Sabres are probably trying to unload their veterans (Vanek, Miller, Pominville) and underperforming players (Stafford, Regher, Leopold, etc) for young roster players and/or draft pick, which is something Avs can't and shouldn't trade away.

First of all I'm not eager. Second of all it's not this years pick, it would probably be 2015 if the Avs wait until after next years draft to re-sign him, and it would be top five protected.

I'd have no problem with Pominville long term in his early thirties, on a similar $5.5M tag he's at now. What he would add to the team would probably be worth more than whatever player they pick with what hopes to be a mid round pick by then.

If he asks for too much, he'd walk, and the Avs dont' give up their 1st, and clearing Jones's salary and opening up a spot for his replacement isn't that bad a thing.

Pominville would be absolutely perfect for this team as a 30 goal scorer and potential PPG guy. He would be a perfect fit next to Staz and Landy IMO. Whether they can get the right deal done is another question.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
The only real thing I can think of regarding Buffalo is a Stastny deal. Maybe Buffalo doesn't feel comfortable with a Hodgson-Ennis 1-2 punch and wants to upgrade it (move Ennis to wing). Buffalo has been rumored to like Stastny before, and really this is the most ideal time for them to get him. They get a 1.5 year trial before they have to re-sign him. In their firesale I'm sure they will trade Ott and Pominville, with Vanek being a possibility. As for the return, who knows, both teams are in rebuilding mode and the Avs would want prospects/young roster players/picks in return... exactly what Buffalo doesn't want to give up.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
First of all I'm not eager. Second of all it's not this years pick, it would probably be 2015 if the Avs wait until after next years draft to re-sign him, and it would be top five protected.

I'd have no problem with Pominville long term in his early thirties, on a similar $5.5M tag he's at now. What he would add to the team would probably be worth more than whatever player they pick with what hopes to be a mid round pick by then.

If he asks for too much, he'd walk, and the Avs dont' give up their 1st, and clearing Jones's salary and opening up a spot for his replacement isn't that bad a thing.

Pominville would be absolutely perfect for this team as a 30 goal scorer and potential PPG guy. He would be a perfect fit next to Staz and Landy IMO. Whether they can get the right deal done is another question.

Well the Sabers wouldn't trade Pominville for a draft pick that's 2 years away and there's a lot of contenders who would out bid us rather easily.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
What about Versteeg?
Not sure why he seems to be moved from team to team so often, but if Florida is looking to move him, he may fit in on RW next to Stats. He's even in the age group Avs seem to be working with.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
What about Versteeg?
Not sure why he seems to be moved from team to team so often, but if Florida is looking to move him, he may fit in on RW next to Stats. He's even in the age group Avs seem to be working with.

Hurt. Would have to be an offseason pickup.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Hurt. Would have to be an offseason pickup.

Figured that, but thought he may come at a fair price and his contract is not too bad. Was just wondering what people thought of him. Seems to get traded a lot, so that raises red flags to me, but I've liked him whenever I've gotten to watch him play.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
What about Versteeg?

Highly skilled, britle as glass, low compete level.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
The only real thing I can think of regarding Buffalo is a Stastny deal. Maybe Buffalo doesn't feel comfortable with a Hodgson-Ennis 1-2 punch and wants to upgrade it (move Ennis to wing). Buffalo has been rumored to like Stastny before, and really this is the most ideal time for them to get him. They get a 1.5 year trial before they have to re-sign him. In their firesale I'm sure they will trade Ott and Pominville, with Vanek being a possibility. As for the return, who knows, both teams are in rebuilding mode and the Avs would want prospects/young roster players/picks in return... exactly what Buffalo doesn't want to give up.

They do have Grigorenko coming up. And top 5 pick as it looks like now.

I think Sabres fans mentioned that Regier has basically said that they are going for rebuild/tool. So I don't see them trading with Statsny. They need to see first what happens with Miller/goalie situation.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
They do have Grigorenko coming up. And top 5 pick as it looks like now.

I think Sabres fans mentioned that Regier has basically said that they are going for rebuild/tool. So I don't see them trading with Statsny. They need to see first what happens with Miller/goalie situation.

They should try to trade Pominville for Bernier + something and then deal Miller for a king ransom to a team desperate for goaltending help.

Also I think they're happy with their center depth with Ennis, Grigorenko and Grigersons.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
What about Versteeg?

Nah...last thing we need is to get another oft-injured scoring winger.

I think the reason he's been moved so often is that for all the amazing skill he presents, it just doesn't translate into phenomenal results. He's never, not once broken the 30-goal mark, nor the 60-point mark, and last season was getting top line minutes with Weiss and Flash (two playmaking forwards) through 71 games.

No thanks. I think the Avs need to move on from these high-risk-marginal-reward players. They need to do better.

Stories

Science!
Sep 10, 2006
Los Angeles, CA
As much intrigue as there is in Sustr. I really just want the Avs to sign Nate Schmidt. There is some real talent there and he is a realistic target. Laganiere would be another great get, that could be realistic. Both add needed parts to the prospect pool, and because of that would have a chance to contribute early.

I've watched him play since I was at Yale the past few years--he's not that great. I don't think he'll ever become much more than a 4th line grinder. He's got some nice size which he could stand to use more. He's not particularly impressive as a player, though. If he's compared to a legit prospect on the team... like... Kenny Agostino, for instance, it's not even a comparison.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I've watched him play since I was at Yale the past few years--he's not that great. I don't think he'll ever become much more than a 4th line grinder. He's got some nice size which he could stand to use more. He's not particularly impressive as a player, though. If he's compared to a legit prospect on the team... like... Kenny Agostino, for instance, it's not even a comparison.

I disagree on the upside (strong #3C with some scoring potential is his high ceiling IMO, so rounding out to a low end #3 should be likely), but understand your point. There is a good reason why many of these players haven't been drafted. For every Purcell there are 20-30 more who never get heard from again.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
My offseason trade/FA wish list, in no particular order:

Michael Ryder
Mark Streit
Rob Scuderi
Michael Frolik
Toni Lydman
Viktor Stalberg
Jeff Halpern
Clarke MacArthur
Mason Raymond
Wojtek Wolski (yeah, you read that right)
Grant Clitsome

Mind you, I don't want ALL of these players, just listing those who might fill a crucial role (Scuderi and Lydman, for instance, are both left-handed stay-at-home defensemen capable of a top-four role) on the Avalanche, and hopefully won't cost a bundle. I just think high-end targets like Smid are going to get stupid money this offseason.

Most of these guys, IMO are good bargains, and won't be you-get-what-you-paid-for guys like Zanon. In the case of Wolski, I just threw him in there for the hell of it--the guy's only making $660,000 this season. Worth a camp invite at least if McPhee chooses not to retain him.

benzino

Mar 1, 2012
Estocolmo

Michael Ryder
Mark Streit
Rob Scuderi
Michael Frolik
Toni Lydman
Viktor Stalberg
Jeff Halpern
Clarke MacArthur
Mason Raymond
Grant Clitsome

Mind you, I don't want ALL of these players, just listing those who might fill a crucial role (Scuderi and Lydman, for instance, are both left-handed stay-at-home defensemen capable of a top-four role) on the Avalanche, and hopefully won't cost a bundle. I just think high-end targets like Smid are going to get stupid money this offseason.

Most of these guys, IMO are good bargains, and won't be you-get-what-you-paid-for guys like Zanon. In the case of Wolski, I just threw him in there for the hell of it--the guy's only making $660,000 this season. Worth a camp invite at least if McPhee chooses not to retain him.

If you put all Sacco haters and ex Avs players like Anderson,Stewart,Galiardi,Quincey that hate Sacco all together they still won't hate Sacco as much as Wolski. He ain't coming back.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site

Michael Ryder
Mark Streit
Rob Scuderi
Michael Frolik
Toni Lydman
Viktor Stalberg
Jeff Halpern
Clarke MacArthur
Mason Raymond
Grant Clitsome

I wouldn't mind the Avs going after Brad Boyes, he seems to do well (read: puts up points) with talented centers. He may actually go really well with PA and Dutch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln