Rumor: In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) XLVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Rielly is the starter for O'Reilly, if he's not on the table we're not moving ROR to Toronto. There's better young defenders out there we could target for ROR. I'd even take JJ over Gardiner and ROR for JJ is overkill on our part.

I'm not sure what the value of JvR is in Toronto right now, but I can safely say the Avs value ROR as much if not more.

Hm, well Toronto isn't going to pay that much for him. Kessel was received for 2 1sts and a 2nd. That's Kessel. Kessel is worth more than ROR. Gardiner is worth at least 1 of those 1sts. Raymond is worth the 2nd round pick. On top of a 1st and a 2nd, O'Reilly is worth a B prospect. We are giving 3 C prospects, though two of them are borderline B prospects. Elliott is a B prospect as well. I can see that maybe the value is off, but once you're getting to Kessel value, then it's getting a little too much. IIRC, ROR almost went to Calgary for $5 million comp before you matched last second. That's a 1st, 2nd and 3rd round pick. My package is worth far more than that. Now that's how much I value ROR, and I'm sure that's how many other teams value it too.

Last edited:

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Hm, well Toronto isn't going to pay that much for him. Kessel was received for 2 1sts and a 2nd. That's Kessel. Kessel is worth more than ROR. Gardiner is worth at least 1 of those 1sts. Raymond is worth the 2nd round pick. On top of that, O'Reilly is worth a B prospect. We are giving 3 C prospects, though two of them are borderline B prospects. Elliott is a B prospect as well. I can see that maybe the value is off, but once you're getting to Kessel value, then it's getting a little too much. IIRC, ROR almost went to Calgary for $5 million comp before you matched last second. That's a 1st, 2nd and 3rd round pick. My package is worth far more than that. Now that's how much I value ROR, and I'm sure that's how many other teams value it too.

You're barking up the wrong tree.

Just because you value O'Reilly for a "B Prospect" doesn't mean the Avs or other teams do.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
I'd consider something like:

To Tornoto:
O'Reilly
Elliott

To Colorado:
Gardiner
Raymond (I like him and his speed, but I'd only want him with the guarantee he'd want to re-sign here)
But I'd want a pretty high prospect as well like Gauthier, the Avs would be giving up the best player in the deal Raymond is a ? because we wouldn't know if he'd re-sign so we'd need some compensation Gauthier becomes pretty redundant if you were to acquire O'Reilly.

Ah, I do see your point there. That may be something that would be a condition, like we threw in a pick (3rd?) However, I think it's too soon for Gauthier to be traded away. Maybe if he was a year or two later, it'd be better, but I don't know right now. What about someone like Finn or Percy, but I'd thought you want more wing depth than defenseman depth. Everyone in our prospect pool is available except Rielly, and probably anyone from last year, though they'd even be available for the right price.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
You're barking up the wrong tree.

Just because you value O'Reilly for a "B Prospect" doesn't mean the Avs or other teams do.

I didn't say he was worth a B prospect. I said he was worth a 1st, 2nd and a B prospect by himself.

I didn't mean to offend anyone, sorry to bother you.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
The thing is nobody really wants to trade ROR, that's why these convos never go well because Avs fans basically want an overpayment to feel good about any sort of trade.

I get it, but then I wonder why there are so many O'Reilly threads on the main board. I don't think other teams are making those up... There's too many of them.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I get it, but then I wonder why there are so many O'Reilly threads on the main board. I don't think other teams are making those up... There's too many of them.

I'm not going to go through them but every single one of them is probably coming from fans of other teams.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

Because there has been no news whatsoever on a possible contract extension, and we currently have three centers who, conceivably, could play on the top line. Makes sense there would be a ton of speculation after the whole holdout and offer sheet business. He's easily our best trading chip and one of the most complete players on the team. I'm not completely opposed to trading him but I agree that if he is dealt, it damn well better be for something big.

Frankly I think the O'Reilly-at-wing experiment should end, and soon. I feel like O'Reilly is losing his effectiveness a bit. He's at his best as a shutdown defensive forward, and he's not being utilized as such. I'm sure he will be on Stastny's line tonight, but it's Pauly who should move to wing if anyone IMO.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Because there has been no news whatsoever on a possible contract extension, and we currently have three centers who, conceivably, could play on the top line. Makes sense there would be a ton of speculation after the whole holdout and offer sheet business. He's easily our best trading chip and one of the most complete players on the team. I'm not completely opposed to trading him but I agree that if he is dealt, it damn well better be for something big.

Frankly I think the O'Reilly-at-wing experiment should end, and soon. I feel like O'Reilly is losing his effectiveness a bit. He's at his best as a shutdown defensive forward, and he's not being utilized as such. I'm sure he will be on Stastny's line tonight, but it's Pauly who should move to wing if anyone IMO.

Yeah the wing thing is something that I thought would lead them to trade high.

Bordeleau Of Blood

Archangel
Jul 28, 2005

There have been about a thousand Stastny threads on the trade board too, 99% of which were started by fans of other teams.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Because fans of other teams want their teams to trade for O'Reilly it means Avs want to trade him?

There is no team in the league that knows how good O'Reilly is more than Avs do and they have all the cap space in the world. Him getting traded is unlikely.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
I didn't say he was worth a B prospect. I said he was worth a 1st, 2nd and a B prospect by himself.

I didn't mean to offend anyone, sorry to bother you.

I wouldn't say you're "offending" anyone (unlike some who have come before)

But you're not likely to find someone on the Avalanche board who agrees that O'Reilly is worth a 1st, 2nd and a B Prospect...at least not what you would define those as.

We don't see Gardiner as a "centerpiece" to a deal for O'Reilly? Not at all.

Someone had already answered what we would be looking for, which would most likely be Reilly. It's fine if you disagree with that valuation, all that means is that we'll be perfectly happy keeping Ryan O'Reilly, who has become our Top Line LW, and the Maple Leafs will be perfectly happy keeping Morgan Reilly.

Ryan O'Reilly is a proven NHL Top-6 Player as both a Center or Winger. He plays tremendous defense for either position. He's a workhorse and hates to lose. He's the type of player that ALL teams want on their team.

He won't be had for a Grab-Bag of Leafs players with Gardiner being the "prize".

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas

I don't want it to end at all. He's made a good transition to Wing and is a good compliment to Matt Duchene. It seemed weird at first but I think they work well together.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
I don't want it to end at all. He's made a good transition to Wing and is a good compliment to Matt Duchene. It seemed weird at first but I think they work well together.

If he's playing wing and you want him there, then I'll back off. Though, ROR isn't worth a package with the "start" being Rielly. Not proven enough. Well good luck everyone :)

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I think O'Reilly has been good on the wing. He's still adjusting to being a shooter more than a passer but he'll get there. He's on pace for 27 goals and 56 points.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

I get why Roy did it--in fact it was a stroke of genius. No one is as good as O'Reilly at disrupting things for the opposition. A lot of times he'll be the guy causing the turnover to spring Duchene. And Dutchy works well alongside another playmaker (similar to when he was tearing it up briefly with Fleischmann).

That said I just don't think O'Reilly's being utilized to his strengths. He's being used as a scoring-line winger and I think to use him best the Avs should put him back with Landy and create a true shutdown line that can score. It just feels to me like he's lost a bit of his identity and it's showing in his play. I know that sounds ridiculous but it's just MHO. Wish I had a better way of saying it.

He is arguably the team's 2nd best center and he is without a doubt the team's best faceoff guy. Yeah, I realize even as a winger he takes the occasional draw, but again, I think he should just do it full time.

Dutchy9

Nov 7, 2013
Montreal
Barrie and Wilson both last minute scratches tonight... Uh oh. So are Emelin and Briere in Montreal... Let the speculation begin.

Briere is apparently involved in some trade with the Sabres. Would love to have Emelin but not at the cost of Barrie.

EDIT: In the sense that besides Elliot we don't have an defensemen like Barrie

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
If he's playing wing and you want him there, then I'll back off. Though, ROR isn't worth a package with the "start" being Rielly. Not proven enough. Well good luck everyone :)

How is he not proven enough? He's averaged a 65 point pace the past three seasons combined. 65 points in today's NHL is good enough for top line duty. As a 22 year old C/W who continues to prove he has no limit, you don't move them cheaply. He's pushing for 30 goals this year, a guy many said would never surpass 20.

He's far more proven than any asset you're offering and the Avs are not about to move him for a grab bag of picks and long shot prospects, this isn't a video game where you can stack assets together for a valuable one. Rielly is an extremely raw prospect with promise, I'm not even sure it is smart to move ROR for him, but he's the closest asset you have to acquiring ROR we'd want.

Tell ya what though, how about we take Gunnarson off your hands for a 2nd + B Prospect? Solves a need in Colorado.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
How is he not proven enough? He's averaged a 65 point pace the past three seasons combined. 65 points in today's NHL is good enough for top line duty. As a 22 year old C/W who continues to prove he has no limit, you don't move them cheaply. He's pushing for 30 goals this year, a guy many said would never surpass 20.

He's far more proven than any asset you're offering and the Avs are not about to move him for a grab bag of picks and long shot prospects, this isn't a video game where you can stack assets together for a valuable one. Rielly is an extremely raw prospect with promise, I'm not even sure it is smart to move ROR for him, but he's the closest asset you have to acquiring ROR we'd want.

Tell ya what though, how about we take Gunnarson off your hands for a 2nd + B Prospect? Solves a need in Colorado.

When he was drafted, I don't think many expected him to become anything better than 3rd line center, but he became that first year in NHL. Who knows. He could still become better.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Because fans of other teams want their teams to trade for O'Reilly it means Avs want to trade him?

There is no team in the league that knows how good O'Reilly is more than Avs do and they have all the cap space in the world. Him getting traded is unlikely.

Not anymore, I guess.

030113feaster-e1372891165772.jpg

avs1dacup

Jan 25, 2003
Denver, CO
Visit site
He is arguably the team's 2nd best center and he is without a doubt the team's best faceoff guy. Yeah, I realize even as a winger he takes the occasional draw, but again, I think he should just do it full time.

2013/14: 52.3%
2012/13: 52.8%
2011/12: 52.8%
2010/11: 51.8%
2009/10: 47.8%

2013/14: 54.1%
2012/13: 52.4%
2011/12: 55.4%
2010/11: 53.2%
2009/10: 50.0%

Those are two Avs players faceoff numbers. Who do you think is who? Hint: O'Reilly isn't the Avs best faceoff man. O'Reilly works just fine at wing. Better than Stastny would imo and him and Duchene have some good chemistry. He's on a good pace for a top winger. He wouldn't even touch that as a center. Keep him on the wing unless there is a need to move him to center ie. injury, mixing lines up, etc.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I have to say, I feel bad for the Leafs fans who actually think trades through, and have a decent understanding of trade value. Theres so few of them that they all just get looked at as ridiculous Leafs fans.

Just looked through a couples pages on the Leafs board discussing ROR. One guy claimed Dave Bolland to be the better, more valuable player then ROR(He also claimed Avs fans always overvalue there players, Oh the irony) but then you also had Leafs fans offering Kadri + Gardiner + for ROR.

Kadri + Gardiner + would be a pretty solid return for ROR. Potential Top 4 Dman, and a Top 6 forward with 1st line upside. If the + was a decent prospect like Finn Id do it for sure. Even if we had to add something from out side.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
I cannot imagine that Patrick Roy would want anything to do with a moody, ego-filled, lightweight, big mouth punk like Kadri.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Kadri? Yuck.

I think 6-7 years for $5.5M/yr would be a fair deal for O'Reilly. Hopefully he gets re-signed for around that much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad