Rumor: In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) XLVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I cannot imagine that Patrick Roy would want anything to do with a moody, ego-filled, lightweight, big mouth punk like Kadri.

Not that I want Kadri (especially in a deal for ROR), but Roy has coached players with similar attitudes and succeeded with them. IMO he would be a great coach for Kadri.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Gardiner for O'Reilly? Interested?
So we've gone from the Gardiner for Duchene proposals Leaf fans were throwing around two years ago to Gardiner for O'Reilly. I really wish the Leafs would just find themselves a center so their fans obsession with our players can end.

Hm, well Toronto isn't going to pay that much for him. Kessel was received for 2 1sts and a 2nd. That's Kessel. Kessel is worth more than ROR. Gardiner is worth at least 1 of those 1sts. Raymond is worth the 2nd round pick. On top of a 1st and a 2nd, O'Reilly is worth a B prospect. We are giving 3 C prospects, though two of them are borderline B prospects. Elliott is a B prospect as well. I can see that maybe the value is off, but once you're getting to Kessel value, then it's getting a little too much.
Your logic is just terrible. You're examining the Kessel trade and finding players with equivalent value to the pieces given up for him, throwing those pieces together, then saying you've created a fair proposal for O'Reilly? Every trade is completely different. I watched Mason Raymond for years in Vancouver, no thank you. He's fast and plays to the outside, not at all what the Avs need. Jake Gardiner has been massively overrated by Leaf fans for a long time(anyone else remember those excellent Niedermayer comparisons by some on the main boards??), I would love to have him, but not at the cost of O'Reilly. He's not what the Avs need at all. The Avs need a defensman capable of playing alongside EJ against other teams best lines on a nightly basis or a guy capable of anchoring the second pairing right now. If it's O'Reilly being moved, it will be the former, not the latter. Tossing in a few mediocre prospects is typical HF mentality; Three quarters are worth a dollar!!

Like I said, examining a trade that occurred years ago and then attempting to put together a package essentially using logic like this is pretty bad: Well, Player A returned X, X, and Y, so therefore if we want Player B, who I don't think is worth as much as Player A when he was traded, I'll offer just X and Y and it will be completely fair!

IIRC, ROR almost went to Calgary for $5 million comp before you matched last second. That's a 1st, 2nd and 3rd round pick. My package is worth far more than that. Now that's how much I value ROR, and I'm sure that's how many other teams value it too.
Almost went to Calgary? How do you know that? The Avs turned down the offer sheet compensation, and no, they did not match last second. Teams have 7 days to match an offer sheet and the Avs matched the day it was made, hours after in fact. It took almost no deliberation to turn the offer sheet down, please get your facts straight,.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I just think Duchene has earned more than ROR, so Duchene should get more. ROR at 5.9 per for 5-8 years would be fine with me. Though I would prefer something closer to 5.5.

Burnaby_Joe*

I just think Duchene has earned more than ROR, so Duchene should get more. ROR at 5.9 per for 5-8 years would be fine with me. Though I would prefer something closer to 5.5.

I agree, I don't think anyone on the team should be making more cash than Dutchy. 5.5 for O'Reilly and 5 for Stastny ;)

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
I have to say, I feel bad for the Leafs fans who actually think trades through, and have a decent understanding of trade value. Theres so few of them that they all just get looked at as ridiculous Leafs fans.

Just looked through a couples pages on the Leafs board discussing ROR. One guy claimed Dave Bolland to be the better, more valuable player then ROR(He also claimed Avs fans always overvalue there players, Oh the irony) but then you also had Leafs fans offering Kadri + Gardiner + for ROR.

Kadri + Gardiner + would be a pretty solid return for ROR. Potential Top 4 Dman, and a Top 6 forward with 1st line upside. If the + was a decent prospect like Finn Id do it for sure. Even if we had to add something from out side.

No it would not. Many won't like hearing this but Kadri is a perimeter player and you rarely win with those kinds of guys. Why do you think he's even available? I don't care how many points he puts up, he's like Mike Ribiero/Martin Rucinsky. You just don't win with guys like that and the Leafs know it.

To think, he wanted $6M per year before the season started. LOL

Gardiner is alright but nowhere near where Leaf fans believe his value is at. He's supposed to be an offensive d-man but is on pace to finish the season with 24 points. When you consider that his defensive game is nothing to write home about, why exactly would the Avs be forking over the established top-6 forward for a couple of 'maybes'??

Don't kid yourselves, there are reasons why these players are available and it's not because the Leafs are ready to contend now and they are willing to part with their young talent. They've seen significant flaws in both of those guys game and are now trying to sell high.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
I'd pay him 6. Just open the damn wallet and get it over with.

If he asks for 6M after having a 50-55p season again, I'd rather re-sign Stastny and trade ROR for a kings ransom on defence. Sorry but being a 50-55 point guy with a great two-way game does not qualify for being paid 6.0M. Landy-money at best.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
ROR is part of the core and an important part of the team. It's not worth it to haggle over 500k when they are not even a cap team with the cap going up. Logically one could argue 6 is too high but salaries are just going to go up and up with the cap rising. I don't think they'd ever get proper value in return for ROR anyway. Just pay him and turn the page.

AvalancheFan19

May 3, 2009
If he asks for 6M after having a 50-55p season again, I'd rather re-sign Stastny and trade ROR for a kings ransom on defence. Sorry but being a 50-55 point guy with a great two-way game does not qualify for being paid 6.0M. Landy-money at best.

Yupp. Anyone who thinks he should earn more is out to lunch. He's done absolutely nothing to earn Duchene money and also nothing to earn more than Landeskog. Landeskog and O'Reilly are very similar in the sense that they will provide similar statistical offence (55-60 points on average, hopefully more when they're a bit older) and are great defensively. Don't see a reason to sign O'Reilly for more than Landeskog. Duchene has proved he can be perform like a top 10 player in the NHL, let's not forget this.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I never said he should earn more, it's about keeping the big picture in mind. It's a nice thought to keep everyone under Duchene money, it's simply not going to happen. When MacKinnon and EJ need new deals they are going to consider market value at the time, which could very well be over 6. Do we want either to walk/ship away from the team if they can't get a deal less than Duchene? Same thing with O'Reilly. The market is going to be different next summer if you want to believe it or not. And really, what's the point of absolutely no way paying XYZ player no more than an arbitrary figure of money? Are the Avs in cap trouble? Are they going to have to trade someone away because O'Reilly got 500k more than you think he's worth? Do you sleep better at night knowing the Avs have over 10 million in cap space doing nothing? He's got to commit to the Avs by signing a long term deal but really the sum of money should be a nonissue.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
O'Reilly won't be getting as much as or more than Duchene. Hopefully him and Newport Sports are willing to accept that and take less.

raistlin76

Sep 18, 2004
Cracow
www.nhl.com.pl
The worst thing with O'Reilly situation is that we could have him locked for next 3 years for 5 millions per and the whole O'Reilly saga didn't appear at all. I think Sherman screw this up big time, we have to pay him 3,5 (minus what he lost because of lockout) and 6,5 and I don't think he signs for 5 millions per year in a new contract. I hope this time Roy enforce deal with Ryan and we don't have to see any arbitration or something like that. I hope we'll see some AVS extension during the Olympics and they don't wait until end of the season.

BoxOfChocolates

Mar 7, 2010
The worst thing with O'Reilly situation is that we could have him locked for next 3 years for 5 millions per and the whole O'Reilly saga didn't appear at all. I think Sherman screw this up big time, we have to pay him 3,5 (minus what he lost because of lockout) and 6,5 and I don't think he signs for 5 millions per year in a new contract. I hope this time Roy enforce deal with Ryan and we don't have to see any arbitration or something like that. I hope we'll see some AVS extension during the Olympics and they don't wait until end of the season.

You misspelled Eric Lacroix

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

...Landy money isn't even 500k less a year...

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
O'Reilly will be re-signed. Hopefully it will happen without him and his agents being ***** about it. I can't see it play out all that well in the dressing room if he wants to position himself above Duchene and Landeskog salary wise after what happened last year. Time to be a team player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad