Rumor: In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) XLVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I haven't watched any Rangers games, but has Staal been that bad? Rangers fans seem down on him this year, would he even be worth targeting at this point?

I'm not too sure, but the bigger worry for me is that he'll likely bolt to be with his brothers after next season.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I know not many are sympathetic to the Rangers, but man, they've had some **** luck with concussions between Sauer and Staal. If both weren't dealing with those injuries NY would be in a much better spot right now.

Congo Jack

is a big fat mess.
Jun 28, 2011
Candy Apple Island
I know not many are sympathetic to the Rangers, but man, they've had some **** luck with concussions between Sauer and Staal. If both weren't dealing with those injuries NY would be in a much better spot right now.

I'm pretty sure the Sauer family is just cursed. Three brothers got career ending concussion problems, and the other brother had a career ending knee injury.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Lends credence to the notion that there is a genetic predisposition that leaves some more vulnerable to concussions or makes it harder for them to recover from them. Eric Lindros's brother Brett had his career ended before it really even started due to PCS.

I don't have any numbers to back this up, but how come it seems like the guys affected most by concussions are the really big players, and the small players? You seem to hear about them a lot more then the average sized players. Especially when it comes to repeat injuries, and guys that have their careers cut short.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Not sure but I really doubt it. I was under the impression he was on the ice and doing well up until today but who knows. May have come up earlier and the avs backed out or put it on hold

Roy didn't specify when the setback was. He also said the hip was a concern from the beginning, so it's possible things weren't looking that great after he started skating and they just didn't say anything.

Looking at the timeline of things, it looks like Tanguay started skating on 11/30. Kulikov was scratched on 12/3, and that's when Friedman suggested the deal might have gone down but fell apart.

If I take my assumption even further, it would seem as though the deal would either involve McGinn and possibly no forward coming back, or the more offensive PAP and a lesser offensive forward coming back with a D. That's why they thought Tanguay could supplement the loss, but they can't afford to lose the offense now if Tanguay's not coming back.

I'm going to guess McGinn for Kulikov straight up, or PAP and Wilson for Kulikov and Matthias.

Last edited:

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Lends credence to the notion that there is a genetic predisposition that leaves some more vulnerable to concussions or makes it harder for them to recover from them. Eric Lindros's brother Brett had his career ended before it really even started due to PCS.

I hate when people latch onto anyone with a PhD that claims something may be hardcoded into your genome. It's like saying you're genetically predisposed to eating hamburgers more often. I could choose other controversial topics in which people cling to this notion as a means of explaining something they feel is wrong with their children, but I'll not go there.

A concussion is a traumatic brain injury that occurs as a result of the brain abruptly impacting your skull and a hematoma forming (sometimes). The trauma sends massive amounts of electrical signals pulsing through the brain and overloads the circuits, generally explaining the disorientation a person has after being concussed. The momentum being transferred into the brain like a giant mass dampener and then its subsequent collision with the skull can also increase vasodilation and permeability in the brain, this causes tons of chemical signaling pathways to overload and neurotransmitters to be released, the compounding effect is a confusing cocktail of neurotransmitters, psychotropics and other chemicals further overwhelming a shocked system that can't process everything.

The only thing that matters in all of this from person to person physiologically is the change in hemodynamics (transfer of oxygenated blood throughout the brain). But that isn't something regulated by genes anymore than body segmentation is regulated by the Pax 6 genes, it's a byproduct of hundreds of thousands of developmental pathways.

Concussions are a mechanical problem. Too much momentum, not enough distance to stop. This is a concrete barrier that cannot be beaten through traditional engineering techniques; it has been modeled numerous times and deemed infeasible for external equipment to prevent a concussion practically. Which has led the industry towards a detection methodology for post-concussion treatment rather than preventative methods.

Helmets are being developed which can detect shifts in cerebral blood flow to indicate trauma. Mouth guards which record the biting force an athlete exhibits during trauma. Portable fMRIs are being worked on (how they'll do that is beyond me, requires very strong magnets which typically need to be large) for scanning the areas of the brain for physical deformation/trauma... etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad