Rumor: In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) XLVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma
Anyone been thinking Orlov might be a decent target?

Yes. But do we have what Washington would like?
Wilson? Doubt it.
McGinn?
Pick(s)?

Orlov would be a nice player to have. Though his preferred position is left, despite being a right hand shot. Who would he be paired with? Either Benoit or Orlov would play with Barrie. That'd be a disastrous pairing defensively although Benoit is okay.
Or if Orlov will play right, then he would need to be paired with Benoit which leaves us again with Barrie, Guenin or Sarich playing off-sides.
If Orlov is acquired and we don't part ways with any current playing defender, we'd have something like
Benoit-Barrie
Orlov-Guenin/Sarich
on our bottom 4, or then switch a lot around and go with
Benoit-EJ
Hejda-Barrie
Orlov-Guenin/Sarich

I'd guess those aren't horrible, but do we really need Orlov, or do we need a player who is a bit better defensively?

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Yes. But do we have what Washington would like?
Wilson? Doubt it.
McGinn?
Pick(s)?

Orlov would be a nice player to have. Though his preferred position is left, despite being a right hand shot. Who would he be paired with? Either Benoit or Orlov would play with Barrie. That'd be a disastrous pairing defensively although Benoit is okay.
Or if Orlov will play right, then he would need to be paired with Benoit which leaves us again with Barrie, Guenin or Sarich playing off-sides.
If Orlov is acquired and we don't part ways with any current playing defender, we'd have something like
Benoit-Barrie
Orlov-Guenin/Sarich
on our bottom 4, or then switch a lot around and go with
Benoit-EJ
Hejda-Barrie
Orlov-Guenin/Sarich

I'd guess those aren't horrible, but do we really need Orlov, or do we need a player who is a bit better defensively?

the other way around.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
I have a really bad feeling we are going to overpay for a mediocre player.

I think we kind of got fleeced in the Downie trade, although I can see the reasoning if it was done to free up the space to sign Stastny and ROR longterm.

I have a bad feeling that we'll be the team to overpay for Gardiner. Not to say he is a bad player, I just don't think he isn't worth what Toronto is asking.

I'd be ok sending McGinn and maybe Wilson for Gardiner and a prospect but that is about it. I mean Gardiner has a whopping 6 assists in 26 games this year. He is getting out-produced at the moment by Jan freaking Hejda a 35 year old stay at home dman. And yet somehow this guy is worth a legit top 6 player in the minds of Toronto's GM.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC

I think we kind of got fleeced in the Downie trade, although I can see the reasoning if it was done to free up the space to sign Stastny and ROR longterm.

I have a bad feeling that we'll be the team to overpay for Gardiner. Not to say he is a bad player, I just don't think he isn't worth what Toronto is asking.

I'd be ok sending McGinn and maybe Wilson for Gardiner and a prospect but that is about it. I mean Gardiner has a whopping 6 assists in 26 games this year. He is getting out-produced at the moment by Jan freaking Hejda a 35 year old stay at home dman. And yet somehow this guy is worth a legit top 6 player in the minds of Toronto's GM.

I feel the same in a broader sense. Players like Gardiner, Del Zotto, Kulikov all have top 4 potential, but none of them are playing up the par right now. Why overpay for a struggling defenseman, when you can get a player like Klesla or Meszaros for cheap?

I wouldn't be opposed to a player like Orlov as long as GMGM isn't asking an arm and a leg.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Meszaros is awful and not a NHL player anymore. He's healthy now and we've seen what he can do. Even if you think Roy is a miracle worker, he isn't fixing Meszaros. I'd rather just go with what we have.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Meszaros is awful and not a NHL player anymore. He's healthy now and we've seen what he can do. Even if you think Roy is a miracle worker, he isn't fixing Meszaros. I'd rather just go with what we have.

But he's like 85 overall in NHL '14.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com

I feel the opposite. Word is the Avs have been shopping for defense for a long time. Everyone thought they would have done something at the draft, then free agency, then the cap dumps at the beginning of the season and then when the fire sales started to happen but still nothing. The Avs are not in a position of desperation, they are waiting for the deal they want. it would have been easy to bring in an overpaid past the prime name and declared they fixed the defense so all the pundits could write in the media guides that the Avs were headed in the right direction finally but they didn't do that. Trades always make me nervous so I'm always going to worry a bit but I don't think they are aiming for a mediocre deal.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC

Rangers fans said Richards was done last year.
Flames fans said Sarich was a black hole.
People thought Mason was a a backup.
Penner is putting PPG up in Anaheim.

The list could go on. I'm not saying Meszaros will bounce back, but I think a change of scenery could bring him back into form and he won't cost more then a mid/late round pick. If he doesn't work, you scratch/send him down. His contract ends this year, so it's a perfect low risk/high reward deal IMO.

Again, Mesz is only 28. Unless you're DiPietro, most people don't play their worst hockey and start their decline in their prime.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
I feel the same in a broader sense. Players like Gardiner, Del Zotto, Kulikov all have top 4 potential, but none of them are playing up the par right now. Why overpay for a struggling defenseman, when you can get a player like Klesla or Meszaros for cheap?

I wouldn't be opposed to a player like Orlov as long as GMGM isn't asking an arm and a leg.

I feel the opposite in that I think people will be surprised at what a player like Kulikov and MDZ get moved for. I think trade values this season will be more modest than normal, especially with players who are looking at raises at the end of the year. GMs know the cap will go up and teams will have money to spend, but players know that as well, and as with quite a few UFA/RFAs lately, be looking at taking advantage of that too.

NYR has too many LHD and MDZ has shown he is ineffective on the right, so I could see him getting moved for less than expected as the season wears on. Appearances seem to be that Kulikov is a chip Florida is willing to part with and the change in coaching has not seemed to help his play much. He'll garner a decent return if he is actually traded, but not what is being tossed about in these boards.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
I feel the opposite in that I think people will be surprised at what a player like Kulikov and MDZ get moved for. I think trade values this season will be more modest than normal, especially with players who are looking at raises at the end of the year. GMs know the cap will go up and teams will have money to spend, but players know that as well, and as with quite a few UFA/RFAs lately, be looking at taking advantage of that too.

NYR has too many LHD and MDZ has shown he is ineffective on the right, so I could see him getting moved for less than expected as the season wears on. Appearances seem to be that Kulikov is a chip Florida is willing to part with and the change in coaching has not seemed to help his play much. He'll garner a decent return if he is actually traded, but not what is being tossed about in these boards.

Agreed. Expectations for returns on these boards are often way too big and we've seen it many times that for various reasons seemingly valuable players are traded for a prospect and a pick when people are expecting an arm and a leg. This is also why I expect us to get some kind of a deal done at some point.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Sarich was more done than anyone at the end of last season. We seem to have woke him up.

He's played much better than expected. However, he has about 2-3 brain cramp moments in his defensve zone coverage per game, and it nearly burns him. He's playing at his absolute peak, as is Guenin. Things will average out at some point, and they need to have another D in place by then.

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
I think Sarich got in excellent shape in the off season and that is the biggest reason for his turn around. I was shocked at how lean he looked in training camp. I think he has had his share of injuries, and was not able to get into the shape he needed to be. Wilson is in the same situation now, when he comes back he never looks to be in game shape.

Also with Guenin and Sarich, the reason they look good is because they are playing within their abilities. They aren't trying to deke through players or make 30 foot passes. They make simple plays. I don't see why we would expect a big regression. It isn't like they are playing at some unobtainable level IMO.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I think Sarich got in excellent shape in the off season and that is the biggest reason for his turn around. I was shocked at how lean he looked in training camp. I think he has had his share of injuries, and was not able to get into the shape he needed to be. Wilson is in the same situation now, when he comes back he never looks to be in game shape.

Also with Guenin and Sarich, the reason they look good is because they are playing within their abilities. They aren't trying to deke through players or make 30 foot passes. They make simple plays. I don't see why we would expect a big regression. It isn't like they are playing at some unobtainable level IMO.

Because teams are going to start spotting their weaknesses and targeting them. Teams are just now getting an idea of how Roy plays, and when they dump the puck in and forecheck hard, and cycle the puck well it causes them problems. The guys that have the biggest problem with this are Holden, Sarich, and occasionally Guenin. Mainly Holden and Sarich.

Right now they're playing to their strengths just like you say, but they are also dictating how they play so that they can do that. That's slowly going to decline as teams figure out a way to occasional dictate how they want to play. If Sarich is still averaging 17:30 a game by that time it's going to be a problem. He won't be able to play to his strengths, and he'll be put in tougher spots more often, and his weaknesses will start to show.

Instead of those 2-3 sketchy moments a game, it will now be 6 or 7+, and they'll start to result in goals against.

I do agree though that he came in to camp in great shape, and that likely had a lot to do with a solid start from him. Conditioning is huge for a defenseman like him at his age.

He's a good D man in a #6/7 role, but that's the role he should be in. Right now it's not burning them because he's playing at his peak, and for the reasons I mentioned above, but he shouldn't be playing 17:30 in the NHL. He should be closer to 12-14 minutes a game. They'll be able to pick the right spots for him much better with that amount of time.

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
Like we've all been saying, a top-4 LHD would solve so many issues.

It would allow Sarich and Guenin to rotate in and out of the lineup as the 3rd pair RD, it would give Barrie a solid partner to play with every game on the 2nd pair (either Hejda or new guy) and develop more, and it would put Benoit on the 3rd pair which would only increase his effectiveness.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

It would allow Sarich and Guenin to rotate in and out of the lineup as the 3rd pair RD, it would give Barrie a solid partner to play with every game on the 2nd pair (either Hejda or new guy) and develop more, and it would put Benoit on the 3rd pair which would only increase his effectiveness.

Exactly. That's how it should be post deadline down the stretch and into the playoffs (hopefully).

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
Combining all the rumours on the main board, the trade is obviously going to be:

Toronto: McGinn+, Kulikov Florida: Kulemin+ Avs: Gardiner

Somehow Montreal needs to be worked in their too.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Combining all the rumours on the main board, the trade is obviously going to be:

Toronto: McGinn+, Kulikov Florida: Kulemin+ Avs: Gardiner

Somehow Montreal needs to be worked in their too.

Can we end up with Subban somehow and not give up O'Reilly or EJ?

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado

If we bring in a top 4 leftie, Barrie would likely be the odd man out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad