Rumor: In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) XL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
For how much longer?

His contract expires this year.

He probably has negative value at this point, given his injury history and Flyers desperately having to shed cap hit. But Pat & Joe has done such a good job purging the team of toxic salary, Avs don't have much to do a prisoner exchange with.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
The way I view it right now is there are two teams in absolute cap hell and that is Philly and Pittsburgh (apparently they never learned how to manage money in Pennsylvania).

Philly is already over the cap, and Pittsburgh only has 20 players signed and are within $600K of the cap. But honestly there are only 2 players on those teams that I'd even be interested in and that is Orpik on Pittsburgh (mainly because he only has 1 year left on his contract) and Coburn from Philly.

And here is the kicker though the most I'd be willing to give either team for those players is Matt Hunwick and maybe a mid prospect or a pick in the 4th rd or later.

There is no reason for any team to cough up anything of value to help out these Pejorative Slured teams who can't figure out the salary cap. Its not the Avs fault or any other teams for that matter, that they are in a position where they are screwed. No one felt bad for the Avs when they had to give up Forsberg and Foote due to the salary cap. Now its time for other teams to deal with their own incompetence.

If Philly wants to part with Coburn for peanuts I'm all over it but no way am I giving them someone like Downie or even a decent prospect to help them out of their situation. Its their fault they don't deserve a good return on whoever they get rid of to get in compliance of the cap.

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
The way I view it right now is there are two teams in absolute cap hell and that is Philly and Pittsburgh (apparently they never learned how to manage money in Pennsylvania).

Philly is already over the cap, and Pittsburgh only has 20 players signed and are within $600K of the cap. But honestly there are only 2 players on those teams that I'd even be interested in and that is Orpik on Pittsburgh (mainly because he only has 1 year left on his contract) and Coburn from Philly.

And here is the kicker though the most I'd be willing to give either team for those players is Matt Hunwick and maybe a mid prospect or a pick in the 4th rd or later.

There is no reason for any team to cough up anything of value to help out these Pejorative Slured teams who can't figure out the salary cap. Its not the Avs fault or any other teams for that matter, that they are in a position where they are screwed. No one felt bad for the Avs when they had to give up Forsberg and Foote due to the salary cap. Now its time for other teams to deal with their own incompetence.

If Philly wants to part with Coburn for peanuts I'm all over it but no way am I giving them someone like Downie or even a decent prospect to help them out of their situation. Its their fault they don't deserve a good return on whoever they get rid of to get in compliance of the cap.

Avs shouldn't care whether or not they "help" Philly.

But if they can get Coburn to help our team, they should do it. And he won't be free. Philly will get a reasonable (maybe not full value, though) deal.

Avs need to focus on making Avs better.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto

Salary cap gave no chance for Colorado keep big players together. At least Penguins have that chance. Colorado lost everything because the cap. :shakehead Very brutal time for Colorado.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Avs shouldn't care whether or not they "help" Philly.

But if they can get Coburn to help our team, they should do it. And he won't be free. Philly will get a reasonable (maybe not full value, though) deal.

Avs need to focus on making Avs better.

I agree the Avs need to focus on themselves but trading anything of value to get Coburn would be silly because you are in a position of power.

Philly is in a really bad position, they need to shed approximately 2M in salary before the start of the year. They've already used both their compliance buyouts, so they don't have that option anymore. They've publicly said they want Gagne back, which I can't imagine going for less than 2M. They really don't have many players that I envision them wanting to trade. So somehow they have to shed enough space to get in compliance and sign Gagne.

So basically the list of players on their team I could see them moving are Coburn, Meszaros, Luke Schenn, maybe B Schenn. Coburn is the most likely because the most teams would be interested, Meszaros while a talented player any team giving more than a mid pick would be stupid due to the injures. I really don't see either Schenn moving unless they get a really good deal.

The even funnier part is they somehow have to trade one of these players and not take much salary coming back. I'm not interested in giving up any of our better prospects or a 1st rd pick for Coburn. Thats why the most I'd even consider giving is Hunwick and maybe a 2nd rd pick. If they don't want that deal then fine.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002

I'm with Chet on this one for sure. The more I think about it, I wouldn't even include a mid-prospect or a pick BUT I would be willing to do this :

To Col:
B.Coburn,LD

To Philly:
M.Hunwick,LD
+ Avs retain Hunwick's cap hit for this season (not gonna matter anyways against our cap)

Total savings against the cap for Philly $4.5M + $1.6M = $6.1M

That should save them enough for them to sign Tim Thomas to a 7 year contract or some other insane kind of deal to 'improve' their team or whatever.

I'd probably even be willing to add or substitute Wilson instead of Hunwick there, I love the guy but he's always injured.

Regardless, this is the type of deal I'd like the Avs to try and explore and see if they can take advantage.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Boys when Pronger's cap hit disappears once he goes on the LTIR Philly will be more than 3mil under the cap and even though Homer doesn't strike me as a patient man (I know I'm reaching here) I doubt he'll trade his best defenseman for scarps just to get under the summer cap and to go after a goalie.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
I'm with Chet on this one for sure. The more I think about it, I wouldn't even include a mid-prospect or a pick BUT I would be willing to do this :

To Col:
B.Coburn,LD

To Philly:
M.Hunwick,LD
+ Avs retain Hunwick's cap hit for this season (not gonna matter anyways against our cap)

Total savings against the cap for Philly $4.5M + $1.6M = $6.1M

That should save them enough for them to sign Tim Thomas to a 7 year contract or some other insane kind of deal to 'improve' their team or whatever.

I'd probably even be willing to add or substitute Wilson instead of Hunwick there, I love the guy but he's always injured.

Regardless, this is the type of deal I'd like the Avs to try and explore and see if they can take advantage.

I don't think teams can retain 100% of a cap hit, I thought it was only upto a certain percentage?

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
I don't think teams can retain 100% of a cap hit, I thought it was only upto a certain percentage?

Yeah maybe, I don't remember all the lockout details...

Still think that this could be the sort of deal that the Avs look at to bring in some help but at the same time, I'd be just fine if we started the season with the D we currently have.

As I've maintained all along, I believe a large percentage of our players last year were completely demoralized playing under Sacco and they'll rebound in a big way next season. I can't wait.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
You can retain 50% of cap hit.

I don't think you can bend Flyers over when trading for Coburn, with MacTavish supposedly in heat over the player. A good deal, but not a completely one-sided one.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
There's using your leverage, and there's overplaying your hand so that you end up screwing yourself out of a good deal. If Coburn can be had for something like Wilson, a 2nd or 3rd round pick and a goalie prospect, that's already a steal for the avs, trying to squeeze more out of it unnecessarily would be dumb.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
L.A. Lariviere ‏@L_A_theRiver 17m

Jagr in talks with #Habs. Agent spoke to M Bergevin yesterday. Expects to resume talks soon. 'He's always wanted to play in MTL'

:D

I guess Jagr always wanted to play in Dallas too. Jagr is all about getting paid.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
There's using your leverage, and there's overplaying your hand so that you end up screwing yourself out of a good deal. If Coburn can be had for something like Wilson, a 2nd or 3rd round pick and a goalie prospect, that's already a steal for the avs, trying to squeeze more out of it unnecessarily would be dumb.

This would defeat the purpose of acquiring Coburn. Wilson is one of our 3 best defenders on the we aren't trading him to acquire defensive help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad