Rumor: In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) XL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
I do not really care about UFA.
I expect and hope that we sign a Ference or best case Scuderi or Hainsey.
But I am not even sure I want those guys at their presumed pricetags.

Besides Milan, we really don't have any FAs. Vincour is in the KHL and I think that Palushaj will not receive a QO

To me getting some of the guys extended right now is priority number one.
Besides Duchene, almost all of the guys had a rough year and we could get them at a good price.

Hejduk is the only UFA that matters, at least in a historical sense. Kobasew is also an UFA, but I doubt the Avs re-sign him. They could use to add a defense/grinder/pker 4th liner, but Kobasew is not that guy.

Duchene should get his near lifetime contract if the cap hit can be made to work. Sakic should use what I imagine his considerable hero pull with Duchene and get him to sign a max year contract at a favorable cap hit. 8 years at 6 million would be where I go to if I am the Avs, though he may want to wait the season out to drive that number up. I would put money on him signing an extension in August or as the season starts.

O'Reilly and his term really depends on what his expectations are. If I were the Avs, I would approach him with 2 deals. I would give him the option of a max term deal, say 8 years at 4.3 million per, or a 3 year deal at 4.8 million. If he is not willing to take either deal, you have to wait on him. He has yet to prove he is worth anything more than that long term and if it is going to come down to another nasty bout of contract talks, he will be traded at the deadline. With Mac on board, the Avs don't need to keep him if they cant get a favorable contract. He either signs an extension before the season starts or is traded at the deadline IMO.

Lando, much like O'Reilly and Duchene, Lando probably should get the bridge contract. He has yet to prove he will be an All-Star player, though he has shown at the very least he will be a decent NHLer for a long time. Much like O'Reilly, I would offer him two options, a 3 year deal at 4 million per or the longer 6-8 year deal in the 4.5-5 million range. I hope the Avs are smart and get him signed sometime before December, but they may wait the season out to see if he is going to be a Dustin Brown, good but not great, player or a generational power forward.

Downie, if he can be talked into a 3 year deal with a similar cap hit to what he has now, then you do it. If he is looking for an increase, which he probably will, you have to wait until the season starts to see if he has recovered fully from his injury. My bet would be he is signed during the season.

McGinn, of the forwards, he is probably the one who the Avs allow to play out his contract and then choose to let him go or sign him. He is the least proven of the guys looking for contracts and is still an RFA at the end of the year, so at the very least the Avs can trade him at the draft for a decent return if he does have a breakout year that prices him out of the Avs cap situation.

Stastny, Avs either work out a deal during the season or he is traded at the deadline. It all depends on if he can rebound from a few down years in a row and if he is willing to take a decent sized paycut to stay with the young core. Much like O'Reilly and Lando, I am offering him both a short term deal around 5.4 million per or a longer term one at 4.8. Those are probably lowerball numbers, but that is what he is going to need to agree to if he is going to fit long term.

Barrie and Elliott, it would be smart for the Avs to negotiate 2-3 year extensions for one or both during the season if they start strong, but the odds on money is they get their deals next summer. Both are likely to be re-signed unless they are used as trade bait.

Varlamov, Avs might give him a 1 year extension at close to his current cap hit now..but odds are he waits for a new deal next summer.

Giggy, Avs probably let him walk next summer in favor of bringing up a prospect next year. Only way he is brought back for another season is if Varlamov has a bad season and the Avs choose to keep Giggy to back up one of the prospects next year.

Leaving only Olver, Mitchell, Palushaj, Hunwick, Zanon, and Sarich as the remaing UFA/RFAs. I would put money on Olver and Mitchell signing low cost deals next summer. Palushaj is a push either way next summer, and I would bet that one of Zanon, Hunwick, or Sarich are re-signed as depth defensemen at a 1-1.5 cap hit on a one or two year deal next summer, while the other two walk.

For anyone thinking some of the numbers for Duchene, Stastny, O'Reilly, and Lando are lowball numbers, they might be, but those are in line with what the good teams have been getting their big names to sign and make work. Detroit, Chicago, LA, and to a lesser extent Pitt have all been able to get their talent to sign below their market value based on giving players term and by selling the concept of winning.

Last edited:

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Well Ballard is on waivers if somebody wants to eat that contract and hope he rebounds.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I figured I'd re-post this from the end of the last thread, since it seems important:

There is conflicting information all over the place about the dates this year, but I don't think today is accurate. Pierre Lebrun and the actual CBA Doc say they can't talk to UFA's until July 3rd, and can sign on July 5th.

I think people are getting the dates confused with the normal dates for a non shortened season, that say they can talk to UFA's the day after the draft.

The July 3rd date is explicitly stated as part of the critical dates in 2012-13 though.

From CBA Page 358:

"EXHIBIT 16-B
2012/13 CRITICAL DATE CALENDAR

DAY DATE EVENT

Sunday June 30
x 2013 NHL Draft (Newark, New Jersey) (All 7 Rounds)48 hours after conclusion of the Stanley Cup Final
x First Buy-out Period Begins
x Deadline for First Club-Elected Salary Arbitration Notification (5:00 pm NY time)

Tuesday July 2
x Deadline for Qualifying Offers, which are not open for acceptance prior to July 5

Wednesday Thursday July 3 / July 4
Interview Periods for Club RFAs and UFAs (no SPCs or Offer Sheets with New Clubs)

Thursday July 4
x First Buy-out Period Ends (5:00 pm NY time)
x Club's ability to offer own potential UFA an eight (8) year SPC expires (11:59 pm NY time)

FridayJuly 5
x Qualifying Offers Open for Acceptance (12:00 pm NY time)
x RFA/UFA Signing Period Begins (12:00 pm NY time)"

From CBA Page 344:

"EXHIBIT 15 CRITICAL DATE CALENDAR

Day after the Entry Draft (but not later than June 25) until June 30
Unrestricted Free Agents may meet and interview with potential new Clubs, but may not sign new SPCs until the opening of RFA/UFA Signing Period

Later of June 25 or Monday after Entry Draft
Deadline for Qualifying Offers, which are not open for acceptance prior to July 1 (5:00 p.m. New York time)

Later of June 26
or Tuesday after Entry Draft
Restricted Free Agents may make contact with Clubs (including their own) regarding potential interest, but may not sign new SPCs or Offer Sheets until the opening of RFA/UFA Signing Period

June 30
Setting of Upper/Lower Limits
First Buy-Out Period Ends (5:00 p.m. New York time)

July 1
Qualifying Offers Open for Acceptance (12:00 p.m. New York time)
RFA/UFA Signing Period Begins (12:00 p.m. New York time)"

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Vancouver's last ditch effort to avoid a buyout. I don't see anyone claiming.

I agree. I would be willing to give Ballard a 1 year 1.5m deal to see if he rebounds. He was a very solid middle pairing defender when he played in Florida.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Well Ballard is on waivers if somebody wants to eat that contract and hope he rebounds.

If no one bites, I suspect Canucks will buy him out. Probably smarter to just wait for that instead of taking on that salary.

He's been quite poor with Vancouver and should come relatively cheap as UFA.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Regeir really showing why he's a top GM in the league. Could have had Lindholm instead of Ristolainen.

Chip Alexander ‏@ice_chip 18h
Rutherford said Canes offered fifth pick and McBain to Sabres for Sekera and No. 8.

PeterTheGreat

Jan 4, 2009
If no one bites, I suspect Canucks will buy him out. Probably smarter to just wait for that instead of taking on that salary.

He's been quite poor with Vancouver and should come relatively cheap as UFA.

I thought the buyout period was over?

Anyhow, I'd like Ballard at 2 million.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
So how much are people willing to spend on Hainsey, Ference, Whiteny, and/or Scuderi?

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I just realized, nobody mentions Roszival at all after a beast of a playoffs. Probably for the best since he'll most likely get overpaid by a contender, but he wouldn't be a bad option either.

No idea if he can play the left side though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad