Rumor: In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) LXXI

Status
Not open for further replies.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
The price isn't the problem, that's semi-realistic, it's that acquiring Kessel and giving up those pieces would be a terrible move for the organization.

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
I still think they'll reach out and try to get an long-term deal to him. If that doesn't work they'll move him.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Someone like Morrissey is what I hope from the Jets. They are not giving any NHL players, which is fine. I just hope they feel the pressure to get over the hump. They can't blow this season.

Arizona is straight in the tank and from our perspective getting Yandle back does nothing for our future.

This is not a trade the Avs will or should make, imo. If Morrissey doesn't develop as anticipated, you're screwed. The list of players who looked amazing in junior and at the WJC only to struggle in the NHL is a long one.

I suggested during the lockout season that we trade RoR to the Jets in exchange for Little+Trouba (most Avs fans were hesitant to do that, at that point). At that time, Trouba was still just a prospect and handn't played a game in the NHL yet. That trade would have worked out really well for us in hindsight but the idea behind it is that if Trouba doesn't pan out, at least you have Little still contributing. That's the kind of deal the Avs will be looking for at minimum, I believe.

We don't want Stewart back and we are more interested in Zadorov. Its not a terrible idea but we need something that works better for us.

Agreed, but I doubt the Sabres give him up.

I didnt Watch many Sabres games , but each time i did, i wasnt impressed by Myers . Maybe i wasnt Lucky and i watched the games where he took the night off , things like that happend .

Let say that we do trade for him :

1- I hope that we'll be the clear winner of the trade .
2- I hope we'll be able to turn Myers into a top Dman , like we did with EJ .

Luck has nothing to do with it, that's the impression I get each time I see Myers play as well.

I know people don't want him, and I have been saying this for a long time... but don't be surprised if the Avs accept a deal with Gardiner as the defensemen.

Any deal for ROR is likely to be a young defensemen + solid forward/defensemen prospect + 3rd+ pick/random prospect. Depending on the additional pieces ROR might have a piece added to him. With that, all the 'young defensemen' will have some salary to them.

TV if the Avs did desire a forward back as the main piece:

Montreal: Eller
Florida: Hayes (not really a main piece), Huberdeau
Winnipeg: Wheeler (pipe dream), Little, Ehlers (not likely), Scheifele
Toronto: Bozak, Kadri, Nylander (not likely)

I will be extremely surprised if the Avs accepted Gardiner as the return. He just signed a 5 year contract and is already not able to live up to it. Just because the guy can skate is NOT a reason to make a deal.

While I would love to see the Avs try and add Huberdeau and perhaps Kulikov, I don't think Tallon makes that deal. This is the first time in YEARS that the Panthers are well over .500 at this point in the season, I doubt he messes with that. (Though I'm certainly not convinced that's how they'll end the season :D)

I think you hit the nail on the head with Eller though. Depending on how the Avs view a kid like Tinordi, that could be the kind of deal that the Habs need to push them over the top and giving up a good, young forward in Eller, an NHL-ready prospect in Tinordi wouldn't hurt their chances at all. I have a lot of confidence in both those players but would still be hopeful that the Avs could swing a deal for a better d-man. If nothing better comes up, it wouldn't be that bad. (it's been a while since I've seen Tinordi play regularly though but what I saw of him in junior impressed me enough to think he should end up a top-4 guy eventually)

I really think it is a combo of that they really don't want to trade ROR, and any trade they make with him is going to be pieces for him. It is very hard for them to pull off a 1 for 1 sort of deal with him, and ideally that is what they want. So there has been some waiting for that, and some waiting for the right centerpiece/prospect combo.

IMO the best that the Avs could hope for as a defensive centerpiece for ROR is to either get a young defensemen that has had struggles, but has upside (Kulikov/Gardiner sort) or go straight to the high end prospect side (Morrissey).

Most teams are still in the race right now and those teams don't want to give up anything valuable off their roster going forward. That could change from now until the trade deadline. It will definitely change once the season is over.

Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger 23s23 seconds ago
Shanahan and Nonis share in decision to fire Carlyle. All players now potential trade targets.

Wonder if we can find a way to squeeze Rielly out of that organization now...

That's the only guy that works for me from the Leafs.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
This is not a trade the Avs will or should make, imo. If Morrissey doesn't develop as anticipated, you're screwed. The list of players who looked amazing in junior and at the WJC only to struggle in the NHL is a long one.

I know what you're trying to say but I do want to fill you in by saying that Morrissey was on the best defenseman on the ice for either team in the Calder Cup Final last year. He was the best player on the team for the IceCaps after Hutch between the pipes.

Small sample size but the way I watched his game adjust from his first game in the AHL to finals was just absolutely amazing. Morrissey is for real.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
I think ROR holds a lot of value but I'm more worried about who Roy likes or dislikes on the other teams. I can't help but fear that he'll love Emelin or someone like that for whatever reason and consider him a "big piece" in a potential trade.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I will be extremely surprised if the Avs accepted Gardiner as the return. He just signed a 5 year contract and is already not able to live up to it. Just because the guy can skate is NOT a reason to make a deal.

While I would love to see the Avs try and add Huberdeau and perhaps Kulikov, I don't think Tallon makes that deal. This is the first time in YEARS that the Panthers are well over .500 at this point in the season, I doubt he messes with that. (Though I'm certainly not convinced that's how they'll end the season :D)

I think you hit the nail on the head with Eller though. Depending on how the Avs view a kid like Tinordi, that could be the kind of deal that the Habs need to push them over the top and giving up a good, young forward in Eller, an NHL-ready prospect in Tinordi wouldn't hurt their chances at all. I have a lot of confidence in both those players but would still be hopeful that the Avs could swing a deal for a better d-man. If nothing better comes up, it wouldn't be that bad. (it's been a while since I've seen Tinordi play regularly though but what I saw of him in junior impressed me enough to think he should end up a top-4 guy eventually)

Most teams are still in the race right now and those teams don't want to give up anything valuable off their roster going forward. That could change from now until the trade deadline. It will definitely change once the season is over.

For all of his warts Gardiner has shown he can be a 20 minute puck moving defensemen. He is very inconsistent with that, but no team is going to be trading a wart-free young top 4 defensemen very easily. Gardiner is a top 4 LD with upside that is struggling. I'm not saying he is ideal, but he has a lot of strengths in areas the Avs are weak in their top 4. It wouldn't surprise me a bit if he was a 'centerpiece' in a multipiece deal.

It'd be hard to build a championship caliber team without a top pairing LHD too...

Phaneuf would bring a top pairing LD, but he would also inhibit keeping one of EJ, Barrie, or MacKinnon long term. And we know MacK isn't the odd one out.

How much different would ROR's value now be than at the deadline?

Not much... the difference is really during the season to offseason. Teams will be willing to swap more roster players in the summer.

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
I think ROR holds a lot of value but I'm more worried about who Roy likes or dislikes on the other teams. I can't help but fear that he'll love Emelin or someone like that for whatever reason and consider him a "big piece" in a potential trade.

My fear as well. Look how he raved about Stuart in the offseason.

Lacroix might of been many things. But he and Sherman made some good deals. Other than the Tanguay trade Roy and Sakic are yet to do anything well on the FA/Trade front.

bromando

Jun 4, 2013

The best thing going for us is that he seems to value ROR really really highly. Hopefully he values ROR high enough to avoid an Emelin-as-the-main-piece return.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
If we're going to be done with the season (which I hope they don't give up on yet) here is what I want to see.

O'Reilly + Briere + Hejda

for

Morrissey + Burmistrov's rights + Cormier

It absolutely kills us this year but if we end up calling it we may as well call it in completely.
The Jets get some much needed roster help now and the guy who easily the best player in the deal. Avs get a potential top pairing guy who will at the very least be a great top 4 guy, they get a depth guy with some potential in Burmi who will likely be back next year if things stay the way they are in Russia. Plus the Avs get a cheap, young 4th line centre who is better than anybody on the 4th line right now.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
If we're going to be done with the season (which I hope they don't give up on yet) here is what I want to see.

O'Reilly + Briere + Hejda

for

Morrissey + Burmistrov's rights + Cormier

It absolutely kills us this year but if we end up calling it we may as well call it in completely.
The Jets get some much needed roster help now and the guy who easily the best player in the deal. Avs get a potential top pairing guy who will at the very least be a great top 4 guy, they get a depth guy with some potential in Burmi who will likely be back next year if things stay the way they are in Russia. Plus the Avs get a cheap, young 4th line centre who is better than anybody on the 4th line right now.

Why would you trade three surfire NHL vets for three what-ifs?

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
We can't bank that hard on Morrissey turning into a super defenseman. Cormier and Burmistrov could probably be acquired very cheaply, no?

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Why would you trade three surfire NHL vets for three what-ifs?

Two are UFA's. Cormier can be a 4th liner right now better than any of Talbot, Mcleod or Cliche.
Morrissey may be a what if when you consider him a surefire elite top pairing guy but he will absolutely be a top 4 with the ceiling to be elite. Burmistrov is a throw in. If he doesn't come play it means we traded Briere, Hejda and ROR for Cormier and Morrissey which is fine. If we get Burmistrov to come over, it's gravy.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
We can't bank that hard on Morrissey turning into a super defenseman. Cormier and Burmistrov could probably be acquired very cheaply, no?

Hejda + Briere is pretty cheap imo. Morrissey and ROR cancel out pretty well.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
Hejda + Briere is pretty cheap imo. Morrissey and ROR cancel out pretty well.

I dont know, some seems to think we could get a 2nd for Hejda. And I think Danny B's old playoff performer reputation might upper his price for the deadline.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I'd gladly take Phaneuf on our Defense. I dont think his $7M cap hit is even all that high moving forward.

With the cap rising to $73-74M next year, his $7M cap hit becomes less then 10% of the cap. As a Top pairing and borderline #1Dman, making roughly 10% of the cap is not a bad contract at all.

If we resign ROR, we're probably looking at roughly $7M for him as well. I'd rather spend that money on a Dman then a forward given how this team looks right now. Duchene, Landeskog, and Varlamov are both signed to fantastic long term contracts that will be huge steals in 2-3 years(They're already steals right now).

I think we'll be fine salary cap wise. We should have a few guys on ELC's on the roster in the next couple of years as well. Bigras next year, our 2015 1st likely crack the roster by 2016 if not earlier, etc.

Mackinnon, EJ, and Barrie are the 3 big contract coming up. It'll be interesting to see what they do with Mackinnon. I think EJ and Barrie will be pretty straightforward contract. ~7M for EJ for 6-8 years hopefully, and 5-6M for Barrie for 4-5 years.

But with Mackinnon, it'll be interesting to see if the Avs try and lock him up long term right away, or end up going the bridge route. IMO without a doubt its a good idea just to sign him long term right away for similar money to Duchene. But I could see Mackinnon and his agents opting for a shorter deal for less money, so he can really cash in after a couple likely PPG or PPG+ seasons.

But long term, because of the contract of Duchene, Landy, and Varlamov I dont think this team will have much issues with the cap. We dont have any bad contracts on this team right now, other then maybe Briere's contract, but it expires after this season anyway.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I wouldn't have a problem with Morrissey being the main piece. I get we are not going to get a perfect solution. I'd rather get someone in with massive talent that's close and hasn't been proven yet than someone with less talent. Its a worthwhile risk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad