Rumor: In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) LXXI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
If the ASG is East vs West it will be tough for EJ to crack the roster.

You have Giordano, Shattenkirk, Weber, Burns, Keith and Doughty ahead of him. Then a bunch of other guys who are on par like Brodie, Seabrook, Josi, Vatanen, Pietro and Suter.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
I think you may be taking this a bit too far.

There's no question that puck movement is not Stuart's forte. Much like his creativity in the offensive zone isn't (they both could be the same basic thing, actually). That said, Stuart is a sound positional player, he's mobile, he's physical, and he generally makes good decisions with the puck. (I think he and Hejda are very similar players). So yes - he does lack puck skills. But if he had those quality puck skills in spades, he'd be Erik Johnson.

Putting aside my bit of hyperbole for a moment, this is why players aren't 1st pairing guys. They are either not elite in one aspect of the game, or they are lacking in some aspect of the game. Stuart lacks puck skills. So does Hejda. Hence, they're not considered 1st pairing guys. But the two of them do an awful lot of other things well. They are 2nd pairing NHL defensemen. Now, they are 2nd pairing guys getting a little long in the tooth, and that's a concern.

But in the end, any comparison between Stuart/Hejda and Guenin/Holden is a bit nutty, IMO. There's a vast chasm between the first two and the last two.

Did you just say that Stuart is only puck skills away from being Erik Johnson?

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
If the ASG is East vs West it will be tough for EJ to crack the roster.

You have Giordano, Shattenkirk, Weber, Burns, Keith and Doughty ahead of him. Then a bunch of other guys who are on par like Brodie, Seabrook, Josi, Vatanen, Pietro and Suter.

Dont they try to take one person from each team? It's been so long I don't exactly remember.

But anyway, I'm just trying to say perception matters. And for a guy like EJ it's been piling on for years.

Avalanche

Mar 18, 2011
Cornwall
Dont they try to take one person from each team? It's been so long I don't exactly remember.

But anyway, I'm just trying to say perception matters. And for a guy like EJ it's been piling on for years.

Are they picking the Young Stars again? That's how most teams end up getting represented.

I'm guessing it'll be MacKinnon for the Young Stars.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger 23s23 seconds ago
Shanahan and Nonis share in decision to fire Carlyle. All players now potential trade targets.

Wonder if we can find a way to squeeze Rielly out of that organization now...

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Wonder if we can find a way to squeeze Rielly out of that organization now...

I think this makes it less likely. Carlyle was at odds with management over the style of team he wanted to ice, and he limited Gardiner and Rielly's roles. I think we will see a tryout period where those two are fed ice time to attempt to figure out what exactly they have.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
I think this makes it less likely. Carlyle was at odds with management over the style of team he wanted to ice, and he limited Gardiner and Rielly's roles. I think we will see a tryout period where those two are fed ice time to attempt to figure out what exactly they have.

Agreed, I would expect more of a veteran purge than a youth purge. Typically when teams undergo regime changes they get out the most influential of players that aren't buying into the new culture and keep the young guys that can grow with the organization.

I'm expecting Phaneuf to be traded before next season, even if it is at a reasonably low price.

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
I am worried Homophobic Sluroof ends up here. But I was thinking about it yesterday.

If we did get him, I wonder if it would be better to play him on the 2nd pairing, and play EJ on the top pair against the top lines. That way we have 2 top pair defenders playing lots of minutes apart, covering more time. Play Bigras with EJ to shut down. Then play Barrie with Homophobic Sluroof on the 2nd pair. Kind of how Anaheim did with Pronger Neidermayer.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
I am worried Homophobic Sluroof ends up here. But I was thinking about it yesterday.

If we did get him, I wonder if it would be better to play him on the 2nd pairing, and play EJ on the top pair against the top lines. That way we have 2 top pair defenders playing lots of minutes apart, covering more time. Play Bigras with EJ to shut down. Then play Barrie with Homophobic Sluroof on the 2nd pair. Kind of how Anaheim did with Pronger Neidermayer.

I'm indifferent to how they'd play him if they acquired him, but I think at this stage in our club it might be beneficial to acquire Phaneuf somehow if it were a reasonable price and move ROR for younger, cheaper assets to help bolster the lineup.

I liked Kento's idea of grabbing Burmistrov personally, I've liked him since his draft year and think he'd make for a great addition to the team's middle 6.

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
Phaneuf would cost ROR IMO. That is a lot of contact, but there would still be a lot of interest through the league.

I hope Phaneuf ends up in Edmonton. That would be hilarious. Not only for the on ice, but the locker room. Another reason I don't want him here.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Bob McKenzie, once again, stating how much teams would be interested in O'Reilly if he's available.

http://www.nicholsonhockey.com/worthreading/2015/1/6/mckenzie-avs-oreilly-would-generate-huge-interest-on-trade-market
“Only what I’ve read. I’m fortunate here. After the world juniors, I’ve only got a game on Friday night that I’ve got to do, otherwise I’ve probably got about the next six or seven days that I can have my training camp, if you will, for the second half of the season, where I can talk to all of the general managers and the coaches and try to get a handle on everything.

“The only thing I know of what’s going on in Colorado now is what I read over the Christmas break and there have been suggestions out of Denver that Ryan O’Reilly is available. And if he is, that’ll generate huge interest. It really will. Because the Avalanche aren’t having a great year. O’Reilly is not having a great year. And yet he’s one of those players who general managers really covet because they think he’s got a ridiculous hockey IQ, tremendous competitive instincts and does have the ability not to be a high-end offensive player, but to be a top-two line center that can play the 200-foot game as well as anybody in the NHL.

“So if he’s available, there would be substantial interest and the price would be extremely high, and Colorado would try to get out of the slump they’re in and they obviously need defensemen. There’s no question about that.”

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
Would Kessel be a good/great fit on this team? Prolific scoring winger who can skate with Duchene or Mac. Also loves fishing.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I would love Kessel, but he would cost a lot (both salary and asset wise).

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Would Kessel be a good/great fit on this team? Prolific scoring winger who can skate with Duchene or Mac. Also loves fishing.

He's as one-dimensional as they come. He just doesn't want to play defense and avoids contact at all costs.

The one dimension he has is pretty good. He'll get his 30+ goals because he's good on the rush and has a great wrist shot. How he'll look once he loses a step or two is anyone's guess.

If he's your best paid player, I doubt you'll win much.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
If he's your best paid player, I doubt you'll win much.

See: Toronto

I don't think he would be the best player here though. MacKinnon will be better within a couple years. Best paid probably until MacKinnon gets his enormous contract.

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
What a Leafs fan think it would cost the Avs to get Kessel...

So seeing as there hasn't really been any proposals thrown around I came up with some Kessel proposals that I think would benefit both teams involved.

Colorado- Kessel

Toronto- ROR, 2015 1st , Chris Bigras,I threw in the 1st pick from Avs due to ROR contract

My favorite part is due to the ROR contract.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Will be interesting if Bob has a better update once he goes through his "training camp"

As an aside, I don't think MacKinnon is getting extended this summer. They should but I don't think the surprise long term contract offer after a down year is going to work on Mack's agent like it did Landy's.

As I said the other day there isn't much I'd give Bigras and a first for. That's just Pejorative Slured.

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
Will be interesting if Bob has a better update once he goes through his "training camp"

As an aside, I don't think MacKinnon is getting extended this summer. They should but I don't think the surprise long term contract offer after a down year is going to work on Mack's agent like it did Landy's.

As I said the other day there isn't much I'd give Bigras and a first for. That's just Pejorative Slured.

I concur. I was going to counter offer but it wasn't worth the trouble that would follow that would lead to me getting sucked in.

Although I wouldn't mind Kessel...

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
What a Leafs fan think it would cost the Avs to get Kessel...

My favorite part is due to the ROR contract.

It's not that far off, but the 2015 1st should be the most untouchable piece on the Avs right now, except EJ and Mack.

m0ngr31

http://www.mynhltraderumors.com/2015/01/05/nhl-rumors-oreilly-doan-oilers-wild-and-sabres/
“You know, I…” O’Reilly said, before stopping and sighing and changing course.

“I couldn’t care less. Knowing where we are, and how we’re playing, all that matters is tomorrow’s game and winning that game. And I’m not worried about anything else.”

“You never know what they’re planning,” O’Reilly said last week. “For me personally, I can’t control any of that. It’s just my play.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad