Rumor: In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) LXVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
For a project on D that's owed close to 30 million dollars?

little unfair to say he's a project. he's young and raw but would be at least our 3rd best D, arguably 2nd.

he's owed around 20 mil in dollars, his deal was heavily front loaded.

anyway, i don't think we would get him that cheap. dreger talking out of his arse again.

if the avs cant extend o'reilly this summer they must trade him and not lose him for nothing like stastny.

O'Reilly's value isn't what everyone thinks it is right now. 2 years left on his deal is still pretty good but equal value isn't coming back.

i agree on both accounts. not ideal scenario. i think we lose unless he's extended.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
I was pretty down and out about Tyler Myers a couple seasons ago, I felt he honestly might not have an NHL future he was so bad. Even though he may still have some warts, you have to take a deal for him if it becomes available. The Avs badly need another dynamic defenseman, and he provides that. It's so difficult to find good defenders (and the avs have a terrible record drafting them) that you have to make a move for a top level one if you can find him. Myers may end up as an enigmatic number four or five, or he could end up as a high level two or three. Remember, he's still a young guy, and it's taken a lot of toolsy defenders into their mid 20's to figure it out.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
And what happens when he ends up on the 3rd pair at 5+ million per year?
Pretty doubtful that happens. Even if it does, Myers represents a very rare opportunity to acquire a guy with a very high potential for a relatively low price. The Avs have a massive hole on defense, and eventually they are going to have to take a risk or move a major piece to fix that hole. I would rather go this route than trade ROR or another key forward for a defender.

Maybe they do miss out, but that's the chance you take trying to build a champion. For example, the Hawks took a chance on losing a key part of their core acquiring Marian Hossa, when they were already in cap hell. The kings gave up a good price for a chance on Marian Gaborik, a guy who hadn't scored more than 12 goals in a season since 2011. Hell, the Avs of old gave up Regher for like 30 games of Theo Fleury.

Last edited:

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
NSH and DAL are better than last year. 91 points will probably not cut it. I think it will be 94 or 95 to make it.
And if we don't turn around this asap, we will have to play the rest of the season at a 100-110 point pace to catch up from our terrible start.
And I can't see this team doing that. Disagree all you want with me but last year was last year. This team looks significicantly different than last years did. We had a sick record against the East. Does not look like they can repeat that.

I'm disagreeing with you saying that it's no big deal if we miss the playoffs. Statements like that represent a losing mentality. This team obviously is not going to finish bottom 3 but the worst place in hockey is in no-mans-land, in that 9-12 range missing the cut. This team 100% has the talent to make th playoffs. The Stars' defence is better than ours but not by much, and Kari Lehtonen gets hurt every single year. Nashville IMO does not have nearly enough offensive firepower to play a style that Laviolette wants, and I believe we are better than that team too.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
For Myers, I'd absolutely take a chance on him. Anyone who watches him play will realize that the guy is EJ on steroids in terms of on-ice skills. A guy his size should not be able to move so well around the ice so fluidly but he does. We all know how long it took EJ to "get it", and maybe Myers is in the same boat.

If the asking price from Buffalo was reportedly Larkin + Kindl, I see no reason why we couldn't offer them something similar. Looking at Buffalo, they're going to finish bottom 3 and I believe will finish last and draft McDavid, a C. To go along with him they'd have Reinhart at 2C and Girgensons at 3C, so they're probably going to move Grigorenko too. Does anyone think it's possible to pry them both out of Buffalo? Reuniting Grigorenko with Roy could be a career-saver for the young man.

They've got Zadorov who's a LD and Ristolainen who's a RD. Would anyone be on board with throwing Siemens into a package to acquire Myers + Grigorenko? I don't want to think of a proposal right now because I'm not 100% familiar with all of our prospects and that's probably what the Sabres want, but Siemens in a package with another prospect or a pick, and a roster player/minor prospect for those two is something I'd love. Not sure about Buffalo but if the asking price for Myers is any indication, it's that they aren't asking much

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
I'm disagreeing with you saying that it's no big deal if we miss the playoffs. Statements like that represent a losing mentality. This team obviously is not going to finish bottom 3 but the worst place in hockey is in no-mans-land, in that 9-12 range missing the cut. This team 100% has the talent to make th playoffs. The Stars' defence is better than ours but not by much, and Kari Lehtonen gets hurt every single year. Nashville IMO does not have nearly enough offensive firepower to play a style that Laviolette wants, and I believe we are better than that team too.

Who gives a damn if fans on a messageboard have a losing mentality.
I would obviously not be fine with Roy telling them to mail it in.
I just don't think this team is close to as good as you seem to think.
Yes we have the talent to make the playoffs as evidenced last year.

But we are not CHI, LA or STL where missing the playoffs would be a huge failure.
We are not there yet.
We overachieved last year and we are clearly underachieving so far this year. If this continues than we will miss the playoffs and it would not be the end of the world.

Myers is not even close to as good as EJ is. Gambling on him only makes sense if he comes very, very cheap (and he does not).
It is not worth it with him being a RHD. If things go south we would be spending over 9M $ on two bottom pairing RHDs.

Last edited:

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Who gives a damn if fans on a messageboard have a losing mentality.
I would obviously not be fine with Roy telling them to mail it in.
I just don't think this team is close to as good as you seem to think.
Yes we have the talent to make the playoffs as evidenced last year.

But we are not CHI, LA or STL where missing the playoffs would be a huge failure.
We are not there yet.
We overachieved last year and we are clearly underachieving so far this year. If this continues than we will miss the playoffs and it would not be the end of the world.

Myers is not even close to as good as EJ is. Gambling on him only makes sense if he comes very, very cheap (and he does not).
It is not worth it with him being a RHD. If things go south we would be spending over 9M $ on two bottom pairing RHDs.

Well then why watch the games if you don't care about having a losing mentality? You might as well just check the box-score and stats at the end of each game. It's a very big deal if this team misses the playoffs and the players in that room have to feel that way too. I didn't compare them to CHI, LA or STL nor do I think we're as good as them - yet. I do however believe we're on the same level as Minnesota and we are better than Dallas and Nashville. And by that, we should make the playoffs.

And you don't know that about Myers. He is not going to be a bottom pairing D. He needs a change of scenery. The Sabres have basically already told him "thanks but no thanks, see ya later" by anointing Ristolainen and Zadorov the future of the D-corps even though Myers is only 24. Remember, EJ didn't "get it" arguably until last season. The talent was always there but under Sacco he just didn't blossom. He was 25 last season turning 26. Myers is 24 this season turning 25, so if you want to say he's not on EJ's level, just go back and watch EJ when he was 22-24. Tools were there, everybody could see. The decision making was not, until last season. His salary also is not a concern to me. 5.5 million for a guy who would be our 2nd best defenseman with the cap going up over the next few years due to the TV deal? If he pans out, and I think he will, that deal will look like a bargain

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
Nonsense. Had Minnesota only beaten us 1-0, we'd STILL be 1-4-2. The way they beat us has no bearing on the way I see this team now. Fact is, this team has lost, going back to pre-season, 13 of their last 15 games and that is disgusting. Something needs to happen. It's only game 7 sure, but why don't you take a look at the Edmonton Oilers from last season and see when they were out of the playoffs. End of October and they were finished. We don't exactly play in an easy division, and every game matters

I'm not going to look at Edmonton because they are one of, if not the absolute worst, teams of the last decade.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Just because Myers could be our second best defenseman doesn't mean he IS a #2 defenseman. I'm not writing Barrie out of that spot either. There is a reason why Buffalo wants to dump him.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Well, I think you guys have sold me on Myers. Can he play the left side though?

not that well, from what i've gathered.

Just because Myers could be our second best defenseman doesn't mean he IS a #2 defenseman. I'm not writing Barrie out of that spot either. There is a reason why Buffalo wants to dump him.

buffalo isn't trying to dump him.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Seems like Buffalo are trying to sell high on a guy that hasn't been very good for years. He's a fine player, but when I see him play I don't see him as someone you build around. Seems like Tim Murray doesn't either.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Yes, I agree.

I confess that I still have an ugly sinking feeling that Sakic will perform Stastny part deux with a straight face. "We want Ryan in our future, but he has deserved this opportunity as a UFA….."

I have a similar feeling, only expect Patrick to recruit Radulov to give the NHL one last go when that happens, playing the part of old man Iggy as it were. And I'm excited for that. Especially if it means the team can lock up EJ, Barrie and MacK while actually signing a Sekera/Erhoff/Martin next summer. And I won't be surprised if deciding to let ROR test FA is the cost of actually being able to afford one of those guys with another two years of Stuart on the books.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Don't trade for useless Brad Stuart. Compliance buy-out Ryan Wilson and Nate Guenin + current cap space would leave us with a tad bit over 7.6 million to work with. It could have worked. And it could have worked long-term too, given that Briere and Hejda are likely gone next season freeing up 7.25 million, and EJ/ROR/McGinn/Barrie/MacK all needing extensions summer of 2016 when I predict the cap will have gone up by around 8 million along with Tanguay, Talbot, Bordeleau, Winchester, and Cliche all likely gone

[snip]

And when Siemens struggles for confidence because he didn't get some AHL time to start the year to see what he can do now at a level he's somewhat comfortable at before trying to go up to the NHL, then what? We just throw away one of our two LHD prospects who could realistically play with one EJ or Barrie in future seasons all for a year where the team and Patrick were going to learn to need learn to deal with adversity together? This year was going to be a struggle, we should still sneak in over Nashville at least, but almost as important is that our core learns to come back from adversity to get there.

I'm a very big siemens fan, and think he's developing very nicely, but having him start this year in the NHL, without some injured vet on the brink of recovery, would've been the best way to mess up his positive growth. He'll be ready for a serious call up at some point this season, but pushing him faster than that would be too big of a risk with one of the only big talents at that position we have. We need to be as patient with Siemens and Bigras as they need because both could solve a lot of problems for our defense if we don't spoil them.

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
You know what the Avs should do. Trade for Burmistrov's rights and bring him over. He would be perfect as our 3rd line center. Skate like the wind, and if I remember correctly, he was actually a smart defensive player.

Good luck making a trade with TakingDaysOff though.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
You know what the Avs should do. Trade for Burmistrov's rights and bring him over. He would be perfect as our 3rd line center. Skate like the wind, and if I remember correctly, he was actually a smart defensive player.

Him or Sabotka, but both teams are in our Division. So..

Edit : Personally, I like Vermette. I think he'd be a perfect replacement for what Stastny brought. Defense, Playmaker, Face-Offs etc...

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

We can send them Hishon and Pickard.

Frolik is actually someone I really like on that team. Would love to have him at RW on the 3rd line.

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
Him or Sabotka, but both teams are in our Division. So..

Edit : Personally, I like Vermette. I think he'd be a perfect replacement for what Stastny brought. Defense, Playmaker, Face-Offs etc...

Funny. Was watching Arizona the other night and thought the same thing. Would be a great 3rd line center. Can teach the rest of these clowns how to win face offs.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Seems like Buffalo are trying to sell high on a guy that hasn't been very good for years. He's a fine player, but when I see him play I don't see him as someone you build around. Seems like Tim Murray doesn't either.

I thought he played well last season given the circumstances. I think this is similar to the St. Louis/EJ situation though. The Blues were ready to anoint Pietrangelo "the guy", and decided EJ was expandable because he hadn't fully developed yet. The Sabres are ready to anoint Zadorov and Ristolainen "the guys" because Myers hasn't fully developed yet.

I do believe that he would make an exceptional 2nd pairing defenseman and push Barrie down to the 3rd pairing while allowing Barrie to play all 2 minutes of the PP and QB it with both units. If Myers is available for a similar asking price as has been reported, the Avs should be on it

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Funny. Was watching Arizona the other night and thought the same thing. Would be a great 3rd line center. Can teach the rest of these clowns how to win face offs.

When I was actually part of a fantasy keeper league (the year before last), I had both Stastny and Vermette. I pretty much always won the FO category with those two. So I've followed his play and stats for 3 years now.

He really is a cheaper version of Stastny IMO. Vermette's scoring ability is streaky, but every other part of his game is pretty consistent. And he also plays the wing pretty well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad