In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) LVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
I would love to find a way to get Ehrhoff. Just seems like the perfect option with some of what everyone wants be it puck moving or decent defense.

I'd support an initial value that looks like overpayment similar to the EJ or Varly trade as long as the core stays intact.

Gabe the Babe

Apr 24, 2014
The most ideal target for the Avs to target is decent sized, left handed defenseman with top 4 capabilities. They definitely do need someone with good puck moving qualities, but someone who can defend and skate well. Defending and skating at a good level is something that is not found in one man on the Avs blueline. When I heard the Avs were looking at Patrick Wiercioch I was ecstatic. That would be an awesome addition. I would love for them to add 2 defensemen this summer. Here's who I think they should look at via trade or signing in no particular order. Wouldn't be mad if they joined the team:

1) Christian Ehrhoff
2) Nikita Nikitin
3) Andrei Markov
4) T.J. Brennan
5) Patrick Wiercioch
6) Brooks Orpik
7) Matt Greene
8) Ron Hainsey
9) Matt Niskanen (for a decent price)

I actually truly dislike this list. To think you put some of these guys in without adding Kulikov is baffling. Literally Markov and Ehrhoff is the only one that is a big enough upgrade to justify the money or pieces needed to bring them in.

AvsFan2123

Jan 21, 2014
Illinois
I actually truly dislike this list. To think you put some of these guys in without adding Kulikov is baffling. Literally Markov and Ehrhoff is the only one that is a big enough upgrade to justify the money or pieces needed to bring them in.

To be completely honest, I kinda forgot haha. Kulikov would be another great addition that I'm on board with, same with: Carl Gunnarson, Niklas Hjalmarsson, and Sekera if available.

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
If we are going for a low cost upgrade that costs nothing of the future and leave room for rookies to grow and find their role in the roster, Bigras and Siemens come to mind, I am still going with Derek Morris and Dan Boyle as the two preferred targets on D.

Neither is a top tier player anymore, but the way I see it Boyle is a decent upgrade over Benoit and Morris is an upgrade over Guenin.

Hejda-Johnson
Holden-Barrie
Boyle-Morris

would be the D on paper, with Boyle and Hejda swapping around as game situations demanded. Guenin would ride shotgun as the 7th D man and you demoted Wilson to the AHL or trade him if there is any market for him at all. If you trade Wilson, an additional vet 7/8 D man would be signed.

Again, its not a massive upgrade, but it would be a much more stable blueline than any the Avs have had for 4-5 years. Both also add a massive amount of experience to the roster and improve the depth on both the PK and PP. It also gives you 3 units you can trust to play in virtually all 5 on 5 situations, meaning Hejda and Johnson both play less minutes during the regular season.

I figure Boyle will take a 3 year 4.5-5 contract to get him out of San Jose and Morris could be had on a 2 year 2.5-3 mill per deal. Both contracts would fit perfectly in terms of being deals that clear off as the Avs would need to sign younger players and neither breaks the bank. Both are also players you know you will get decent hockey out of. They do not have huge upside, but you know you are going to get a certain standard of play versus some of the higher upside guys that have more risk.

Last edited:

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
If we are going for a low cost upgrade that costs nothing of the future and leave room for rookies to grow and find their role in the roster, Bigras and Siemens come to mind, I am still going with Derek Morris and Dan Boyle as the two preferred targets on D.

Neither is a top tier player anymore, but the way I see it Boyle is a decent upgrade over Benoit and Morris is an upgrade over Guenin.

Hejda-Johnson
Holden-Barrie
Boyle-Morris

Three of the six defensemen 36 years old or more at the start of the season?

linusandvarlamov

GO AVS GO !
Apr 2, 2014
Paris, France
I've taken a look at Jake Gardiner (didn't really know much about him before) ! But I really like the look of him ! He'd fit in perfectly with our up and coming young team that's still developing. The guy is only 23 and was drafted 17th overall in 2008.

His first full NHL season of his career was only this year. He played 80 games and managed to get 31 points. I find this pretty decent especially given the fact that I've always thought people said it took quite a long time for a d-man to fully develop to his full potential. Barrie and Johnson only amassed 7-8 more points than him this season ; and Johnson has been playing in the NHL for a longer time.

I've watched his play a little bit today and I do find he plays composed and relaxed. He makes good passes and I think that that would do wonders in him getting extra points (from his 31 of this year) with the Avs.

I'm definitely of the opinion that he'd be more reliable than Guenin, Benoit, Sarich and to a lesser extent Holden. I say go after him. ;)

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
Three of the six defensemen 36 years old or more at the start of the season?

Nothing wrong with that if you are not asking any to play massive minutes, which they would not given the depth.

I also fully expect Siemens and Bigras to get more than their share of cups of coffee on the roster, not to mention Elliott probably getting one more shot along the season....plus Guenin would get some goes if Roy is smart and manages minutes and games smart and of course in due time with injuries.

Also nothing stopping the Avs from replacing Hejda or upgrading over Morris (putting him as the 7th D man) at the trade deadline with an upgrade if the Avs are looking like a contender.

Last edited:

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
I'm thinking barring trade Avs are down to 2 really decent options. I've warmed up to the idea of 2-3 years of Markov, but still can't see him leave Montreal.

Niskanen - A long term solution that will get paid like a top pairing guy, so unless Sakic/Roy feel he can handle that role, I hope they pass on over paying.

Nikitn - I think he'd be a very good complement for Barrie, and at around 3m, could be a solid add. He's shown he can log solid minutes when he played next to Tyutin. I've only ever seen him be a reasonably solid player, nothing great, but good enough to play 2nd pairing and maybe step up and share some of Hejda's load.

Fortunately the Avs are now a team that should interest FAs, and may be able to sign one without having to overpay as in previous years.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
I'm thinking barring trade Avs are down to 2 really decent options. I've warmed up to the idea of 2-3 years of Markov, but still can't see him leave Montreal.

Niskanen - A long term solution that will get paid like a top pairing guy, so unless Sakic/Roy feel he can handle that role, I hope they pass on over paying.

Nikitn - I think he'd be a very good complement for Barrie, and at around 3m, could be a solid add. He's shown he can log solid minutes when he played next to Tyutin. I've only ever seen him be a reasonably solid player, nothing great, but good enough to play 2nd pairing and maybe step up and share some of Hejda's load.

Fortunately the Avs are now a team that should interest FAs, and may be able to sign one without having to overpay as in previous years.

Markov would be great. Someone that can hold down a spot for 2-3 years allowing our defensive prospects to be brought up properly. Someone like Nikitin would be fine. I think we can all agree that a top 4 guy that can help take some of the load off of Hejda's shoulders would help immensely. If Roy can turn Hejda into a top pairing guy, I'm sure he can do it with another defender of a similar caliber.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC

I would love Nikitin, would be ecstatic if we get him on a good contract.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I would love to find a way to get Ehrhoff. Just seems like the perfect option with some of what everyone wants be it puck moving or decent defense.

I'd support an initial value that looks like overpayment similar to the EJ or Varly trade as long as the core stays intact.

I was completely opposed to it earlier but honestly, the worst of that contract is already done and paid for--and I imagine the price will be reasonable for a trade. I'd still like to see what Toronto wants for Gardiner first, but yeah, a definite possibility.

Avalanche

Mar 18, 2011
Cornwall
Joel Ward available?

How good could he fit with ROR and Duchene?

Solidifies that line, and then gives you the flexibility to swap MacK from RW with Landy/Stas and 3rd line C with McPing/Tanguay depending on the situation.

idkmanwow

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I was completely opposed to it earlier but honestly, the worst of that contract is already done and paid for--and I imagine the price will be reasonable for a trade. I'd still like to see what Toronto wants for Gardiner first, but yeah, a definite possibility.

Yeah that contract is a beaut for any team who trades for him. Especially cause the Sabres are gunna want to retain 50% of it to minimize the recapture penalty.

I'd love erhoff but honestly don't think the Sabres should move him and even if we put all of pap, our first, Pickard and Elliott on the table I don't think I'm not sure we'd have the high bid. But yeah he'd be absolutely perfect next the EJ and is even younger than markov/Campbell and so could serve a role even after Bigras and Siemens have arrived.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Joel Ward available?

How good could he fit with ROR and Duchene?

Solidifies that line, and then gives you the flexibility to swap MacK from RW with Landy/Stas and 3rd line C with McPing/Tanguay depending on the situation.

idkmanwow

could fit there well. or the third line. very good along the boards, good ES player, solid defensively, works hard. likely not as good scorer if as he was this season but could see similar numbers if he plays on top line.

i think the new caps GM trades either him or brouwer (i'd trade brouwer). they have lot of depth at RW.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Hejda-EJ 1st pairing will always be a downfall for the Avs in the playoffs. Hejda needs to be replaced by a real top 2 d-man if the Avs are going to have any success in the postseason

Avs For Life

#92 #9 #29
Jul 4, 2012
Denver, CO
Hejda-EJ 1st pairing will always be a downfall for the Avs in the playoffs. Hejda needs to be replaced by a real top 2 d-man if the Avs are going to have any success in the postseason

While I disagree with this right now because Hejda was hurt and could barely hold his stick...when the Avs hit their prime he will likely be close or will be retired so this is true.

We need a #2 LHD

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
While I disagree with this right now because Hejda was hurt and could barely hold his stick...when the Avs hit their prime he will likely be close or will be retired so this is true.

We need a #2 LHD

i think his play dropped fair amount on the second half. dragged EJ down imo.

he's not a disaster there or anything, but at minimum, another player like him is needed.

he also turns 36 next month. no guarantee he can play at this level next season. though he has the advantage that he has much less mileage on him than other players of his age usually have.

Avs For Life

#92 #9 #29
Jul 4, 2012
Denver, CO
i think his play dropped fair amount on the second half. dragged EJ down imo.

he's not a disaster there or anything, but at minimum, another player like him is needed.

he also turns 36 next month. no guarantee he can play at this level next season. though he has the advantage that he has much less mileage on him than other players of his age usually have.

He did decline towards the end of the season, Ill agree.

This is why I dont understand the craze with Markov. He and Hejda are basically the same age. If Hejda is declining, how bad would it look to play Markov a bunch of money and see him decline as well.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
He did decline towards the end of the season, Ill agree.

This is why I dont understand the craze with Markov. He and Hejda are basically the same age. If Hejda is declining, how bad would it look to play Markov a bunch of money and see him decline as well.

Markov is a #1 d-man. Hejda is a #3 at best. That's the difference.

Drij

Mar 5, 2007
Markov is a #1 d-man. Hejda is a #3 at best. That's the difference.

yeah but given his age and injury history... I mean this was the first season he played more then 50 games since 2009. I know he is good but it isn't going to last.
I understand a stop gap player for maybe 2 years but come on.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
yeah but given his age and injury history... I mean this was the first season he played more then 50 games since 2009. I know he is good but it isn't going to last.
I understand a stop gap player for maybe 2 years but come on.

Kinda hard for him to play more than 50 games during a 48 game season. He didn't miss any games last season and only missed one this season.

I think he would be a great addition and a perfect partner for EJ. However, the only way I see him leaving Montreal is if someone offers him a three year contract. That's too risky because of his age and you also don't want a 38 year old Markov eating up $6M in cap space when MacKinnon and EJ need new deals.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
I watch Markov a lot, he plays a very smart game. He will do fine with age. The injury history is a concern but I still wouldn't mind him for three or even four years at $5 million AAV.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
I watch Markov a lot, he plays a very smart game. He will do fine with age. The injury history is a concern but I still wouldn't mind him for three or even four years at $5 million AAV.

That's a ton of cash for a 35 year old with a long history of injury issues. There are a lot of teams desperate for D, but I have a hard time seeing a team giving a guy like him that much term.

I bet he signs for 2 years and about 4.5 million per.

I would think long and hard about a deal like that from an Avs perspective, depending on which other options you have via trade or UFA.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Wow, for some reason I though Hejda was only 33. We need a #2 Dman a lot more then I thought. I figured we'd still get another 2-3 years out of Hejda before we needed to replace him(And by that time Bigras would have likely been ready) but now I'm thinking he has 1 more year of Top 4 play left in him.

He should be on the 2nd pairing with Barrie to start next year. We really need a Kulikov type acquisition this summer.

As for the idea of Markov/Boyle. I seriously hope people are joking. 35+ year old Dmen regress faster then any other position. Boyle is already only a shadow of his former self, and the same applies for Markov(Though not as bad yet). We really dont want another aged short term fix on Defense. We need long term stability.

Erhoff would be the oldest Dman I'd be willing to acquire that's potentially available.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad