Rumor: In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) LI

Status
Not open for further replies.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
As an outsider to this discussion, I feel like you're misinterpreting...but perhaps not. Had the Avs management known about the waiver rule, they would've told the league about it ahead of time, before ROR could've even signed an offer sheet. That way, a team like Calgary wouldn't have been dumb enough to offer sheet him when he would have to go through waivers. It gives the Avs leverage in the negotiating room to say to ROR: "Look, no other team besides the team in last place can sign you to an offer sheet because you'll have to go through waivers." With that in mind, ROR has to either hope for a good offer from the team in last place or come down a bit on his asking price.

It's not about legally fighting the rule, it's about letting the other teams in the league know ahead of time so they wouldn't make the mistake. Feaster wouldn't have made that offer if he had known that ROR would pass through waivers. Perhaps the Avs knew about the rule, but it seems more likely that they didn't or they would've used it to their advantage by telling Feaster ahead of time that he would be an idiot to offer sheet ROR. The bolded part above isn't true. Had they used the rule to their advantage and told everyone ahead of time, and Feaster still made the bonehead offer sheet, they would still match it but at least they could say "we warned Feaster."

It still covers that. If the Avs were confident in that fact and spread the word around the league that he would have to pass through waivers, that wouldn't have made it a fact. Each team has their own lawyers, and it was and still is a grey area to the rule, and there is a chance that it could be fought legally. I'm sure there were teams that were willing to fight it out legally as there were rumors that other teams were going to try the offer sheet route. Without being a lawyer in that specific area, it is hard to say exactly what would have happened, and unless I missed something, the NHL stayed mute on the subject.

A big question here that was never answered was the reserve lists and if teams were able to put other teams RFAs on that list?

bromando

Jun 4, 2013
It still covers that. If the Avs were confident in that fact and spread the word around the league that he would have to pass through waivers, that wouldn't have made it a fact. Each team has their own lawyers, and it was and still is a grey area to the rule, and there is a chance that it could be fought legally. I'm sure there were teams that were willing to fight it out legally as there were rumors that other teams were going to try the offer sheet route. Without being a lawyer in that specific area, it is hard to say exactly what would have happened, and unless I missed something, the NHL stayed mute on the subject.

A big question here that was never answered was the reserve lists and if teams were able to put other teams RFAs on that list?

So the gamble lies in not matching the offer sheet which the Avs would've done regardless. I see what you're saying now though.

Hans Landaskog

Feb 27, 2012
Denver
Even if they knew the CBA rule I don't see why they would need to publicly announce it. It's not their job to let everyone else know it. And if they did know, they'd assume other GMs would as well. So O'Reilly got a slightly inflated contract. Big deal. At least the ignorance regarding waivers forced our hand and got him playing sooner rather than later. Who knows what could have happened.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
A Rangers blogger had a tweet yesterday that Avs and Rangers suit guys are going to meet today.

Hench thinks it was a joke due to Roy being one of those suit guys.

Oh, okay...yeah I did see that. Damn the Internet/Twitter for not being good at conveying sarcasm!

Did anyone ask him if he was being serious or not w/ that tweet?

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
A Rangers blogger had a tweet yesterday that Avs and Rangers suit guys are going to meet today.

Hench thinks it was a joke due to Roy being one of those suit guys.

I don't remember anything about meeting, just that upper level management would be in attendance.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
So the gamble lies in not matching the offer sheet which the Avs would've done regardless. I see what you're saying now though.

Precisely.

I really don't think the Avs are meeting with the Rangers today. Roy is there and usually GM are in the home building, so it isn't unusual. Now if Sakic was going, we might have something. I've seen nothing saying that.

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
Even if they knew the CBA rule I don't see why they would need to publicly announce it. It's not their job to let everyone else know it. And if they did know, they'd assume other GMs would as well. So O'Reilly got a slightly inflated contract. Big deal. At least the ignorance regarding waivers forced our hand and got him playing sooner rather than later. Who knows what could have happened.

If you don't know why that would give Sherman leverage then I don't even know what to say. It was a missed opportunity by a stagnant regime that we are ALL glad is gone. But it was obviously something that they should have used to their advantage. More ineptitude, from an inept group. Glad they are all gone, but ROR's contact issue will be a long standing issue, and could have an impact on other players going forward. If we are forced to give him a long term deal at 6.5+ or are forced to move him because of contract issues we will lose value on ROR as an asset. If that is the case Sherman should be fired, because it is on his watch. He was the accountant.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Garth Joy is also with Sakic and the team in New York. Second in command to Brad Smith. No idea why we need our Director of Player Personnel there.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Garth Joy is also with Sakic and the team in New York. Second in command to Brad Smith. No idea why we need our Director of Player Personnel there.
The first trade deadline is Friday afternoon, so I guess it does make sense for everyone to be there just in case an offer comes in or they want to make a move.

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007

Uh oh. Quick Barrie, get injured or you will be a blue shirt.

IF something happens, I hope it is Girardi, and not Callahan.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Ryan Clowe was also looking for $6m+, or so the reports said.

Like Av-merican said, can't blame a guy for trying. Doesn't mean he will get anywhere close to that.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
The first trade deadline is Friday afternoon, so I guess it does make sense for everyone to be there just in case an offer comes in or they want to make a move.

I guess you're right. We're on the road in a hotbed of rumors right now, so it makes sense to have the necessary chefs in the kitchen.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Uh oh. Quick Barrie, get injured or you will be a blue shirt.

IF something happens, I hope it is Girardi, and not Callahan.

With the way Barrie has played over the last month, I don't see him getting traded. He played his way out of the doghouse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad