Rumor: In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) LI

Status
Not open for further replies.

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
With the way Barrie has played over the last month, I don't see him getting traded. He played his way out of the doghouse.

If Roy doesn't see him as a long term fit this couldn't be better timing. He has been lights out for the last month leading up to the trade deadline.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
If NYR are having massive problems with Girardi and Callahan, I wonder how much it would take to trade for both. Probably way too much, but it would be a fun, typically over complicated HF trade proposal.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
If Roy doesn't see him as a long term fit this couldn't be better timing. He has been lights out for the last month leading up to the trade deadline.

While possible, I don't think that is the case. The issue in the beginning is that he wasn't playing the way the coaches wanted him to. Since coming back up, he is playing that way and is very effective doing so. Unless it is another EJ deal, I don't see Barrie being traded right now.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Is Sakic in New York?

He was there for Super Bowl and it makes sense to stay for the back-to-back in the same city.

It's not that strange. Many GMs travel with the team for parts of the season and since Avs have their co-de-facto-GM as head coach it makes even more sense for Avs.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
He was there for Super Bowl and it makes sense to stay for the back-to-back in the same city.

It's not that strange. Many GMs travel with the team for parts of the season and since Avs have their co-de-facto-GM as head coach it makes even more sense for Avs.

He could have gone to the Super Bowl because he was planning on coming on this very road trip....it's all speculation at this point. I do wonder how often Sakic goes with the team on Road Trips. Obviously he's at every home game, but I don't know if he goes on every road trip.

But whether or not that Tweet was meant to be sarcastic, it now looks like it's true, Avs Upper Management WILL be at MSG tonight, and could be meeting w/ the Rangers and Slather right now for all we know.

With the "Trade Deadline #1" coming up who knows what might happen between now and Friday.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I doubt much more than a couple small deals happen before this first deadline. Too many teams are still in the race (only 5 teams seem to out of it) and will want to take the break as a time to evaluate their teams. Hemsky, MacDonald, Ott, Goc, Smyth, and Tallinder are probably the biggest possible names that I could see move before this first deadline, and I don't see more than a couple of those moving.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
If he was at the Super Bowl it makes a lot of sense for him to stay at the same hotel for an extra few nights to see 3 road games which he doesn't get an opportunity to see live very often.

It's always fun to speculate that things may happen when GM's meet in person but in reality trades can be worked out just as easily over the phone.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
I hope the Avs don't trade Barrie. I was on that wagon earlier, but I'm off it now. He is scoring at a crazy rate now. 11 points in his last 13 games, and a lot of clutch plays late in the game. Since the start of December he has been scoring at a 48 point pace. That's almost half the season. He has 32 points in 80 NHL games (9 goals). He should easily be a 40+ point defenceman next season when you think about how poor he has been in the past, how much he has improved lately, and how he still has managed 32 career points. If he doesn't fall off a cliff, I could see him matching Shattenkirk's point totals from here on out.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
I hope the Avs don't trade Barrie. I was on that wagon earlier, but I'm off it now. He is scoring at a crazy rate now. 11 points in his last 13 games, and a lot of clutch plays late in the game. Since the start of December he has been scoring at a 48 point pace. That's almost half the season. He has 32 points in 80 NHL games (9 goals). He should easily be a 40+ point defenceman next season when you think about how poor he has been in the past, how much he has improved lately, and how he still has managed 32 career points. If he doesn't fall off a cliff, I could see him matching Shattenkirk's point totals from here on out.

Imagine what he could do if he wasn't dragging Holden around on the ice. Or if the team had some clue how to work a power play.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
If NYR are having massive problems with Girardi and Callahan, I wonder how much it would take to trade for both. Probably way too much, but it would be a fun, typically over complicated HF trade proposal.

The traded pieces wouldn't be the problem IMO, it's the massive salary you'd have to commit to both players to make it worthwhile. But yes, it's fun to think about.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
If he was at the Super Bowl it makes a lot of sense for him to stay at the same hotel for an extra few nights to see 3 road games which he doesn't get an opportunity to see live very often.

It's always fun to speculate that things may happen when GM's meet in person but in reality trades can be worked out just as easily over the phone.
At trade deadlines, teams usually like to have everyone together in the same spot to discuss scouting, things like that. Things are done over the phone, but at the deadline, you want to have everyone on the same page.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
I doubt much more than a couple small deals happen before this first deadline. Too many teams are still in the race (only 5 teams seem to out of it) and will want to take the break as a time to evaluate their teams. Hemsky, MacDonald, Ott, Goc, Smyth, and Tallinder are probably the biggest possible names that I could see move before this first deadline, and I don't see more than a couple of those moving.

The standing are no different then they usually are. So, I don't see that as any more of a deterrent than other years. The big block to trades is going to be the cap. Just too many teams are at or very close to it.

Anyway, I still expect at least one big trade to happen before the break. NYR are already rumored to be pushing for resolution with Callahan before the break.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
The standing are no different then they usually are. So, I don't see that as any more of a deterrent than other years. The big block to trades is going to be the cap. Just too many teams are at or very close to it.

Anyway, I still expect at least one big trade to happen before the break. NYR are already rumored to be pushing for resolution with Callahan before the break.

Usually there are a few more teams out of if it by the deadline. Last year was weird because of the shortened season, but this year I think most teams will wait until after the break. The extra 4-6 games will clear up the picture nicely along with the extra time to evaluate your team. This week will be pretty quiet IMO. I'd love to be wrong as a fan though.

In 2012 there were 5 Eastern Conference teams 5+ points out after ~62 games, and 4 Western Conference teams. Leaving 9 teams... right now we have 5 total after ~56 games. Once more teams fall out, more decisions will be made and things will pick up.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Garth Joy is also with Sakic and the team in New York. Second in command to Brad Smith. No idea why we need our Director of Player Personnel there.

I would normally agree that Sakic w/ the team may not mean much, but Garth Joy along as well?

Interesting...

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
Usually there are a few more teams out of if it by the deadline. Last year was weird because of the shortened season, but this year I think most teams will wait until after the break. The extra 4-6 games will clear up the picture nicely along with the extra time to evaluate your team. This week will be pretty quiet IMO. I'd love to be wrong as a fan though.

In 2012 there were 5 Eastern Conference teams 5+ points out after ~62 games, and 4 Western Conference teams. Leaving 9 teams... right now we have 5 total after ~56 games. Once more teams fall out, more decisions will be made and things will pick up.

I just don't see those few games clearing the picture up. I think by now teams are pretty well set on what they are going to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad