The Athletic - Boston In Jaroslav Halak, Bruins have a new type of backup goalie — one who leads, and challenges

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Halak could be the sleeper in the off season moves.......

In Jaroslav Halak, Bruins have a new type of backup goalie...

Screen_Shot_2018-07-04_at_11.57.30_AM.png

Bruins captain Zdeno Chara, a native of Slovakia, helped create the concept of Team Europe. Its coach, Ralph Krueger, wasn’t even working in pro hockey at the time. He was, and remains, the chairman of Southampton Saints FC of the English Premier League. Yes, that’s a soccer club, not a hockey team.

Yet Team Europe quickly created chemistry, and thanks to outstanding goaltending from Jaroslav Halak, the team reached the finals before losing to Team Canada. Halak and Chara have played together while representing Slovakia on numerous national teams, including the Olympics, and they’ve now been reunited after the Bruins signed the veteran netminder to a two-year deal worth $5.5 million.

Halak is going to be an interesting fit for the Bruins replacing Anton Khudobin, who signed with the Dallas Stars, as the backup for Tuukka Rask. Halak was the No. 1 goalie for the New York Islanders for most of last season. Having two No. 1 goalies should create more internal competition, which will only help to keep Rask motivated.

Bruce Cassidy has probably already looked at the possible goaltending schedule for next season, but as the coach learned last season, there are always variables that force him to change things. Moving forward, Halak gives the Bruins a stronger tandem between the pipes.

“He’s going to add depth,” Chara said of Halak. “He’s been a No. 1 goalie for a long time in the NHL. It’s welcoming to have two goaltenders that are very successful and complement each other when the schedule is heavier, or when the situation presents itself, you always want to rely on two goaltenders. He gives us depth for our team and consistency.”

When Krueger was coaching Team Europe, time and again he mentioned Halak’s leadership qualities, describing him as being “an absolute leader in the room” and “a world-class goalie.”

“Everybody wants to play for him,” Krueger said at the time. “From Day 1, he grabbed the ball and he hasn’t dropped it, or let anybody else take it. He’s been outstanding. He’s been absolutely fantastic.”

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015

Bruins captain Zdeno Chara, a native of Slovakia, helped create the concept of Team Europe. Its coach, Ralph Krueger, wasn’t even working in pro hockey at the time. He was, and remains, the chairman of Southampton Saints FC of the English Premier League. Yes, that’s a soccer club, not a hockey team.

Yet Team Europe quickly created chemistry, and thanks to outstanding goaltending from Jaroslav Halak, the team reached the finals before losing to Team Canada. Halak and Chara have played together while representing Slovakia on numerous national teams, including the Olympics, and they’ve now been reunited after the Bruins signed the veteran netminder to a two-year deal worth $5.5 million.

Halak is going to be an interesting fit for the Bruins replacing Anton Khudobin, who signed with the Dallas Stars, as the backup for Tuukka Rask. Halak was the No. 1 goalie for the New York Islanders for most of last season. Having two No. 1 goalies should create more internal competition, which will only help to keep Rask motivated.

Bruce Cassidy has probably already looked at the possible goaltending schedule for next season, but as the coach learned last season, there are always variables that force him to change things. Moving forward, Halak gives the Bruins a stronger tandem between the pipes.

“He’s going to add depth,” Chara said of Halak. “He’s been a No. 1 goalie for a long time in the NHL. It’s welcoming to have two goaltenders that are very successful and complement each other when the schedule is heavier, or when the situation presents itself, you always want to rely on two goaltenders. He gives us depth for our team and consistency.”

When Krueger was coaching Team Europe, time and again he mentioned Halak’s leadership qualities, describing him as being “an absolute leader in the room” and “a world-class goalie.”

“Everybody wants to play for him,” Krueger said at the time. “From Day 1, he grabbed the ball and he hasn’t dropped it, or let anybody else take it. He’s been outstanding. He’s been absolutely fantastic.”

I remember how great Halak was in that tournament. I think people (well most) are going to be pleasantly surprised with him as our backup. He’s definitely a step up from Khudobin

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
It's weird because I remember the Islanders always seemingly playing better in front of whomever the back up was. Maybe they felt they needed to be sharper but they hung Halak out to dry a lot of the time.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
It's weird because I remember the Islanders always seemingly playing better in front of whomever the back up was. Maybe they felt they needed to be sharper but they hung Halak out to dry a lot of the time.

didn`t really watch a ton of Islander games, mostly those vs the B`s but you are right, that team just can`t defend. I`m ho hum about the signing, if he can be a guy who can be relied upon to step in and give Tuukka needed rest and his presence doesn`t alter the approach of the team in front of him because they believe in him, then he`ll be fine. If he let`s in softies left right and center......oh boy

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002

as much as everyone liked khudobin - and he did a great job, especially from what was expected of him - halak is
a clear upgrade. assuming he's comfortable with only playing 30 games a season, we should get strong goalie
efforts 90% of the season.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
For the last several years I've wanted the Bruins to sign Halak. Really glad that they did now since IMO his story isn't over.
Chara's quiet confident leadership attitude is shining through. I could see him being a coach and maybe a GM a few years after he retires from playing. World Class!

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
as much as everyone liked khudobin - and he did a great job, especially from what was expected of him - halak is
a clear upgrade. assuming he's comfortable with only playing 30 games a season, we should get strong goalie

I do agree. I think his performance last year is more on the team than him, they were brutal.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
I'm always paranoid about injuries to a starting goalie. They can destroy a season if the starter gets a devastating injury. Rask is a better goalie than Halak, clearly, but the first time in a long time I feel comfortable with the backup being able to carry the team in case something awful happens to the starter. Halak had a down season last year, possibly due to crap D in front of him, but he's not over the hill yet and I expect him to be back to his usual self with the Bs D supporting him. I would have been fine with Dobby as backup, however I have more confidence in Halak to be able to carry more load if need be simply because he has shown he can do that and be successful.

hrdpuk

Fossa
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
Kentucky
Even with the marginal defensive support he got his numbers are still good

And most importantly his name is easy to pronounce

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
a clear upgrade
. assuming he's comfortable with only playing 30 games a season, we should get strong goalie

clear upgrade? last season he has a 3.19 GAA. 3.19 GAA

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Halak isn't the goalie he used to be. That's clear. But he also doesn't need to be. Just be respectable for 25 games and it is fine. If he DOES bounce back with a better team around him and challenges Rask to be at his best... great. But I wouldn't expect it.

Though it would be great for me if he does to awesome.

Reactions: minpind

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
He and the other Islander goaltender didn't have much defense in front of them. I look for that stat to go down playing behind our D.

Year before that above 2.80. I just think the comment of clear upgrade is far fetched since Dobby has better stats the last 2 years.

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
Year before that above 2.80. I just think the comment of clear upgrade is far fetched since Dobby has better stats the last 2 years.

And Dobby played on a much better team. Stats aren’t the be all and end all unless you take into account the big picture. Halak is a a much better goaltender than Khudobin

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Halak playoffs save % all time near the top

He will play entire year at 33, and he and Rask each should hit 250 career wins this season which is quite an accomplishment

UncleRico

May 8, 2017

I like joe Macdonald as a writer but that two number one goalies comment is a stretch. Last year he played poorly as a number one and the two previous seasons Halak was a back up who pretty much just played against weaker teams. Maybe being on a better team than the islanders helps him out, who knows. Still not sure paying more for Halak than khudobin was a good idea, especially the way khudobin has played since cassidy became head coach

Reactions: talkinaway

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad