The Athletic - Boston In Jaroslav Halak, Bruins have a new type of backup goalie — one who leads, and challenges

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
The Islanders led the entire league last season in most shots allowed. The Bs allowed the second fewest. That's not a huge stat to look at, but it does make a difference when the team in front of you is giving up more shots than any other team. It's very possible Halak will be noticeably better this season on a team that does not have him trying to contain a shooting gallery.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
I like joe Macdonald as a writer but that two number one goalies comment is a stretch. Last year he played poorly as a number one and the two previous seasons Halak was a back up who pretty much just played against weaker teams. Maybe being on a better team than the islanders helps him out, who knows. Still not sure paying more for Halak than khudobin was a good idea, especially the way khudobin has played since cassidy became head coach

This caught my attention as well. With all respect to Halak (and I do think he's a BIG upgrade over Khudobin 2016-7, and over Dobby 2.0 too), I don't think we have the conditions to call them a 1A/1B goalie tandem. There's a pretty big gap between Rask and Halak, IMO.

Are there teams where Halak would be a #1 goalie? Possibly, but thankfully, we're not the Sabres. I just don't see Halak realistically competing with Rask for the #1 spot. Will he compete to keep Rask down to under 55 games like this season? I hope so. But do I want to see Halak regularly playing against strong teams within the division, like the Lightning and Leafs? Hell no. (Well, eating my words a little, as I checked and see that we have a November back-to-back with TOR/VGK. That's a tossup as to who gets which game, especially depending on how Vegas looks.)

That said, Halak probably will be fighting for games a little more than Dobby, and I think that's good for Rask. I just hope that if Halak winds up "winning" a few extra starts, it's because we have an embarrassment of riches in the net, and not just an embarrassment.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
This caught my attention as well. With all respect to Halak (and I do think he's a BIG upgrade over Khudobin 2016-7, and over Dobby 2.0 too), I don't think we have the conditions to call them a 1A/1B goalie tandem. There's a pretty big gap between Rask and Halak, IMO.

Are there teams where Halak would be a #1 goalie? Possibly, but thankfully, we're not the Sabres. I just don't see Halak realistically competing with Rask for the #1 spot. Will he compete to keep Rask down to under 55 games like this season? I hope so. But do I want to see Halak regularly playing against strong teams within the division, like the Lightning and Leafs? Hell no. (Well, eating my words a little, as I checked and see that we have a November back-to-back with TOR/VGK. That's a tossup as to who gets which game, especially depending on how Vegas looks.)

That said, Halak probably will be fighting for games a little more than Dobby, and I think that's good for Rask. I just hope that if Halak winds up "winning" a few extra starts, it's because we have an embarrassment of riches in the net, and not just an embarrassment.

It's a meh signing, if it wasn't Boston where he was signing it would be a back page story where we wouldn't be reading all this propping up and overrating. That said it Halak plays like he did competing with price, heck ya

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
I remember how great Halak was in that tournament. I think people (well most) are going to be pleasantly surprised with him as our backup. He’s definitely a step up from Khudobin

Remember how good he was for MTL. They chose Price over Halak, but at the time, it was close. Glad to have a recent #1 goaltender who should both push & support Rask.

bob27

Grzelcyk is a top pairing defenceman
Apr 2, 2015

I think Halak himself has also already commented that he came to Boston to back up Rask. Hockey is a weird game so who knows what'll happen, but certainly both Halak and the management saw him as a classic backup goalie when he was signed instead of a 1a/1b type situation.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Seems safe to assume Chara was asked what he thought about going with him.
Z seems downright giddy about it.

Dan Vladar is Czech but I bet he can’t wait to get into camp to pick his brain. I’m sure he watched Halak quite a bit growing up.

This signing is going to give Tuukka a kick in the pants at time but is also going to give the prospects another veteran to learn from.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Year before that above 2.80. I just think the comment of clear upgrade is far fetched since Dobby has better stats the last 2 years.

Why do you only look at GAA? Also, here are their 5v5 stats the last two years:

Jaroslav Halak:
Total Games = 82
Minutes Played = 3668
GAA = 2.57
SV% = .922
LDSV% = .967
MDSV% = .943
HDSV% = .785

Anton Khudobin:
Total Games = 47
Minutes Played = 2083
GAA = 2.25
SV% = .918
LDSV% = .983
MDSV% = .912
HDSV% = .790

Lets keep in mind who each player played for the last two seasons. Here are the combined stats (over the last two seasons, you can look up the individual years on NHL.com if you'd like):

Boston Bruins:
GA/GP = 2.56 -- 5th in NHL
ShA/GP = 28 -- 1st in NHL

New York Islanders:
GA/GP = 3.24 -- Last in NHL
ShA/GP = 34 -- Last in NHL

Islanders have also been the worst PK'ing team in the league over the last 2 seasons with a 77.5 PK%, which plays a factor into the stats you refer to for Halak. He easily has the skill and potential to come here and be an upgrade over Khudobin. A significantly better team will be in front of him and he won't have to play as many games.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012

Yuck.

Halak hasn't been the same guy since he got the Isles job full time that first year they were really good with Boychuk and went out in the first round. Looking at his stats from that year and series they are pretty good he took a fair bit of heat from their fanbase if I recall.

Before that very good stats for a backup or guy splitting time.

My guess is the stats are good so we hear chatter about benching Rask but everyone knows we don't want him in net in the playoffs unless Rask struggles.

Quick trivia question: Which goalie has taken the Montreal Canadiens deeper in the playoffs? Carey Price or Jaroslav Halak?

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
"Should the Bruins trade Rask and then immediately have to look for his replacement?"

I'm not reading the article. I refuse to give that cow a click for garbage. I wonder if Haggerty wants to trade Rask, which really won't bring back the package you'd think (since goalies never seem to carry much value), and then go with Halak so the Bruins can make a play for Jack Hughes at #1 overall.

That's all trading Rask would entertain....And trading Rask? You may as well start trading off other veterans (Chara for example), because Rask out makes this team a lottery team in a heartbeat with no end of that in sight, since we don't have a goalie close to being a #1 in the NHL in the pipelines.

Reactions: Chief Nine

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island
If the Bruins packaged Rask and Krug together, think they could pry McDavid out of Edmonton? (Sarcasm).

Don't joke about this. I'm sure there are some who believe it and are already complaining that Sweeney, the dummy, hasn't pulled the trigger :laugh:

It's Chia. Add Fitzgerald and Wiley Sherman and we might be able to get it done

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad