Speculation: In-Game Differences With New Coach?

McCauleyChirps

Gare's "Partner"
May 20, 2006
Rochester, NY
Minus the jokes -

I think we see a more players coach. Derek Whitmore and James van Riemsdyk have already tweeted their congratulations as a great coach and even a greater person.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
It's disingenuous to set the 10 game minimum when 8 games counts as half of a full season played :laugh:.

Even so, I have him coming up further down the list. Are we checking different sources?

He's not a defensive liability like a good number of our forwards are, but he's hardly the driving force behind defensive success on his line.

It's not disingenuous when there is no 8-game field on behindthenet

SabreBlood

Mar 31, 2012
And yet, for one reason or another, teams aren't scoring with him on the ice. Perhaps there's a reason for that. Perhaps it's a wonderful coincidence. But that's what the numbers are saying.
Because goals are rarely scored when bottom 6 forwards are are facing bottom 6 forwards. I already explained this to you.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Because goals are rarely scored when bottom 6 forwards are are facing bottom 6 forwards. I already explained this to you.

Huh?

When coaches line-match, they often put their best defensive line (OFTEN a line consisting of "bottom 6" forwards) against the opposition's top line.

In no game does line 1 play line 2, line 2 play line 2....etc......

SabreBlood

Mar 31, 2012
Yet he's middle of the pack in QualComp. So you're wrong.
Ooooo middle of the pack in QualComp.

I must have missed all those shifts that Ruff was using Hecht's line to shut down those scoring lines.

Hecht sucks. Get over it.

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
Yet he's middle of the pack in QualComp. So you're wrong.
Hecht may not be the same offensive player (ok, he's not at all the same offensive player) but he still knows how to retain the puck along the boards and get it out of the zone, as well as where he's supposed to be defensively.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if his minutes didn't go down all that much - that's more a commentary on the deficiencies of this roster than anything else though.

SabreBlood

Mar 31, 2012
Huh?

When coaches line-match, they often put their best defensive line (OFTEN a line consisting of "bottom 6" forwards) against the opposition's top line.

In no game does line 1 play line 2, line 2 play line 2....etc......
Wake me up when Hecht is facing the Crosbys, Malkins, Tavares's, Staals, etc of the Eastern Conference.

At least now we know he won't be because Ruff is finally gone.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
So when we get to pick the matchups, he plays 4th liners? When the opponents pick the matchups he plays 4th liners? I assume you're ignoring we get to pick his competition only 50% of the time.

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
So when we get to pick the matchups, he plays 4th liners? When the opponents pick the matchups he plays 4th liners? I assume you're ignoring we get to pick his competition only 50% of the time.

They know who he belongs with :groucho:

SabreBlood

Mar 31, 2012
Quick shift changes are obviously not impossible.

It should be 0% of the time.

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
Why do people want the team's top forward blocking shots with his shins, his skates, and the rest of his body? I've never understood the fascination with people wanting Vanek on the PK. Because he may score a shortie once in a blue moon? Great. Lotta consolation that'll be when he breaks a bone blocking a shot.

Thank you. That's what I've been saying.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
Why do people want the team's top forward blocking shots with his shins, his skates, and the rest of his body? I've never understood the fascination with people wanting Vanek on the PK. Because he may score a shortie once in a blue moon? Great. Lotta consolation that'll be when he breaks a bone blocking a shot.
I think a lot of that sentiment comes from how damn stingy Ruff was with icetime. PK time at least represented pretty much the only viable way in a Lindy Ruff system for arguably our best forward to get the 18-20 minutes a night he was on record as wanting and that are played by every one of his comparables.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
The most obvious questions:

- Does Grigs come back and start playing regularly? On the 4th line? PP time? Sent back to minors?

- Is Scott still an every day player?

- Will Brennan become an everyday player due to his familiarity with the coach / likely belief in his PP abilities?

- Does Hecht remain on the 3rd line or do they shake that up (Grigs or even Porter)?

- Defensive pairings (Good luck, Mr. Rolston)

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
In case anyone was wondering who Hecht's most common ES opponent was last night: Evander Kane.

Some 4th line competition.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
In case anyone was wondering who Hecht's most common ES opponent was last night: Evander Kane.

Ever since Grigs was taken off the 3rd line, it's pretty clear Ruff constructed a typical checking 3rd line around Hecht and they've been used as such. They haven't blown me away but they've done their job defensively. Don't understand why people are arguing about you with this.

Hecht looks about toast on offense but he's still doing his job defensively. I wouldn't mind if he gets bumped to the 4th line if they decide to change the construction and purpose of the 3rd line, but right now he's doing the job as specified as well as anyone else on this roster would.

thefifagod

I'm The Survivor
Jul 3, 2008

Was just looking that up myself, well done. I don't see how anyone can be ripping Hecht for his defense. Offensively, sure, there's virtually nothing there right now. But the other team is rarely scoring when he's playing and it's not purely coincidence.

Edit: Rob Paxon says it better than me above.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad