Post-Game Talk (GBU): In a New York Officiating State of Mind - OT loss 4-3 in NYC

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
Gutsy point, coming back from 2-0, 3-2 deficits against a top team on the road. They play that way consistently and they'll win more than their fair share.

Easy to blame lose-the-net, shaky-1st UPL on the winner, but he played a fine game overall. Can someone please ask our all-world d-man to tie up the guy immediately behind him to prevent the game-winner, instead of having laser beam focus on the puck carrier below the goal line?

Please don't sucker us again, Sabres, but I think this team is finally finding its stride this season.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
The Good:

Benson-Mittelstadt-Greenway again. That Greenway pass was great stuff, his pressure lead to Mitts goal.
The top line offensively all over the Rangers.
Quinn finishing.
Luukkonnen from about the middle of the game on made some excellent stops.
EJ standing up for RJ.
Shot mentality? Nah, shot block mentality.

The Bad:

Defending on odd-man rushes remains a weakness.
Seeing-eye pucks for 2GA.
Quinn's stick loss on the GWGA set the table there.

The Ugly:

NHL level officiating remains a massive, stinking turd.
Especially the UGLY!

I've been wondering... maybe it's always been this bad???? Like we are able to see so many games these days where as 30 years ago you got to attend and watch your home team on a tiny 19"SDTV?

I mean..... there are 2 refs on the ice now and they stink it up worse than a solitary one did in the past.

Wally Harris is still a bum but hell, I liked it better when ref's had a known personality and approach to calling the game......

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Especially the UGLY!

I've been wondering... maybe it's always been this bad???? Like we are able to see so many games these days where as 30 years ago you got to attend and watch your home team on a tiny 19"SDTV?

I mean..... there are 2 refs on the ice now and they stink it up worse than a solitary one did in the past.

Wally Harris is still a bum but hell, I liked it better when ref's had a known personality and approach to calling the game......

I used to watch both HNiC games every week, had the Leafs on CHCH/Global, and the Habs/Nords in SCR on channel 25 out of Toronto along with the Sabres. This shit is the worst I have ever seen it. I've also had the NHL package (mostly) for about 10 years since originally going mobile and it's ridiculous how inept they are now.

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
Greenway made some big boy plays tonight, he just brings a different dimension to the team

Samuelsson and Clifton worked their asses off blocking shots on those PKs
Greenway is a low-key stud. Superb fit with Mitts and Benson.

Sabres blocked 26 last I saw. Epic for this team.

Clifton had 5 himself iirc. He's been steadily improving the last 5-10 games. More than earning his salary the last couple. More of that, please. He's become very reliable finding the loose d-zone puck, skating it out, and dumping it in for a safe change late in a shift.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Sammy back on the Injuries thread, unfortunately. And I'll be happy it will be Joki, and not Bryson, Clague, et al, back in the lineup if so.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co

It's tragic. But all I can say here is that officials have a built in bias towards teams in select (high profile) markets and who happen to be regarded as winning franchises. EJ came from Colorado. Now he's seeing how the other half of the league gets treated.

Finally, I've played and coached enough competitive hockey to find that there are all sorts of jerks wearing the stripes and armbands. The worst are the ones who are thin skinned and have too high an opinion of their expertise.

That said, I respect what EJ did for his teammate and what he is saying.

Grinder44

Jun 6, 2006
Los Angeles
Yeah, I too don't usually spend much time complaining about officiating. What's the point? But aside from the obvious surreal moment tonight, I watched Sabres being hauled down, tripped, grabbed, hit late, and interfered with all night long -- and somehow the Rangers were only called for a single minor (a very obvious high-stick) the entire game. That's just b.s.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
If true of what the refs said to Donnie, then that explains the Okposo reaction with Donnie while on the bench.

Reactions: sabremike

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
I used to watch both HNiC games every week, had the Leafs on CHCH/Global, and the Habs/Nords in SCR on channel 25 out of Toronto along with the Sabres. This shit is the worst I have ever seen it. I've also had the NHL package (mostly) for about 10 years since originally going mobile and it's ridiculous how inept they are now.
I actually agree but I've been asking myself why it's turned into such a shit show. Thursday night's game between the Avs and the Sens was also a garbage fest. Neither team could figure out what game the ref's were calling....(In truth, one ref wasn't calling the game at all...)

The League has video replay, instantaneous League review from Toronto, a never ending "refinement" of the rules, 2 referees on the ice, and supposedly game managers who review the officials performance. But it's worse than ever and lacking insight, consistency and wisdom when applying the rules across the officiating cadre. Game in and game out.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I actually agree but I've been asking myself why it's turned into such a shit show. Thursday night's game between the Avs and the Sens was also a garbage fest. Neither team could figure out what game the ref's were calling....(In truth, one ref wasn't calling the game at all...)

The League has video replay, instantaneous League review from Toronto, a never ending "refinement" of the rules, 2 referees on the ice, and supposedly game managers who review the officials performance. But it's worse than ever and lacking insight, consistency and wisdom when applying the rules across the officiating cadre. Game in and game out.

There are a couple factors at play - all of the review seems to make the officials passive. Review is part of it. So too are the constantly shifting comments from the league about what they do want enforced - today hooking, tomorrow slashing, next week maybe it's hits from behind. But they never seem to push into "call the rules closer to how they are written". And then there is the biggest factor - why call a game correctly when one can "manage" the game to make it somehow balanced and perhaps influence the outcome into extra time? We see management way, way too often. Add in the sponsorship from gambling and it almost smacks of being nefarious and illegal. What sport wants its officials to tacitly point shave games unless there is some benefit to the league like say... ad revenue?

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
Felt like the top line did a lot offensively but couldn't get the goal. It would've been great, though if they can play like they did tonight against others, the goals will come. They had a pile of chances.
Yep. Lots of chances all around. Check out this map - so many chances in tight. One of their best games in that respect.
Screenshot 2023-12-23 at 9.43.05 PM.jpg

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
And?

Bad UPL? Bad Dahlin? Both?

I forget who that was just in the frame. I remember Tage outside of the frame, and being his usual inconsequential self inside our blueline.

It was great getting the point tonight. Pissing on any single player for the loss misses the point.
When you are playing 3 on 3 its pretty hard to blame, there is just too much ice out there. The sabres played well and think its best to be positive when they play well. I saw the photo on twitter and posted it. Its a great photo if you are an unbiased hockey fan.

I am not one to complain about officiating past the altercation but there is one that really stuck with me.

I think it was Peterka, and it sticks with me because the Camera was a close up along the boards in the Buffalo zone and the sabres player was skating and trips. The NYR player pulls his stick out of Peterka's skates.

Camera view just happened to be zoomed in on the play to the point where you can see Peterka's skate blades in the air with the NYR player's stick in his legs. It was so blatant and the refs didn't call it. It was obvious the refs were punishing Buffalo.

Last edited:
Reactions: Deep Blue Metallic

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
I did not watch a single frame of this game.

But, I think a larger point needs to be made. With the wide availability of sports betting, the officials need to have extra financial scrutiny. That is across all sports. It's a matter of 'when' not 'if' we find an official is betting on games they officiate.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Serious question: Is Jack Quinn the straw that stirs this drink? When he was out, it felt like the Sabres were barely scratching together two scoring lines. With him in it looks.like they have 3. How is that even possible?

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
betting on the NHL is like betting on the WWE. Unless you know how the matches are booked, you are purely gambling. Just go play the slots at that point

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad