Post-Game Talk (GBU): In a New York Officiating State of Mind - OT loss 4-3 in NYC

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
Serious question: Is Jack Quinn the straw that stirs this drink? When he was out, it felt like the Sabres were barely scratching together two scoring lines. With him in it looks.like they have 3. How is that even possible?
It did help getting Skinner and Greenway back at the same time so they can run 3 productive lines. Greenway has been the biggest acquisition as his line is on a heater with multiple multi-point players the last couple games

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Serious question: Is Jack Quinn the straw that stirs this drink? When he was out, it felt like the Sabres were barely scratching together two scoring lines. With him in it looks.like they have 3. How is that even possible?
That sounds like a rhetorical question, but I want to answer it.
Granato mentioned that there is a big dropoff between the 1st defense pairs and 3rd defense pairs in the NHL. He was looking forward to having his forward depth back (ie Quinn, Greenway) so they could take advantage of those matchups like they did last season.

Last edited:
Reactions: truthbluth

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
I've been watching hockey for years, and honestly didn't know that "2 minutes because your teammates said some mean things to me last period" was a thing. Thanks NHL officiating!

1703425390320.png

stealth1

Aug 28, 2009
Niagara, Ontario
I used to watch both HNiC games every week, had the Leafs on CHCH/Global, and the Habs/Nords in SCR on channel 25 out of Toronto along with the Sabres. This shit is the worst I have ever seen it. I've also had the NHL package (mostly) for about 10 years since originally going mobile and it's ridiculous how inept they are now.
IMO it all stems from the game management and the NHL'S love of parity. The focus more on keeping games close than actually calling the game properly

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
That was Samuelsson last year. I remember we had a great record with him playing.

I had posted before Quinn returned that he will make a big difference because he is like a puzzle piece that will help everything fall into place. We have 3 very good lines now.

It would be great if we could get a checking line as the 4th line. Girgensons was great at that role but since he has been injured the 4th line has been lacking in the checking department.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Insert

“You’re probably wondering how I got here…”

He certainly helps, especially with the Cozens line. But his absence isn’t why the top line, Dahlin and Sammy played like ass most of the season.

I’d say going back to how they played last season is the big change making a deference. Quinn just happened to come back at the same time.

Last edited:

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
The officiating problem goes much deeper. The league is still and old boys club. The powers that be still cling to some anachronistic ideas on how the game should be played. But worse is the deference to certain organizations and their approach to hockey.

The Bruins are lauded as a tough organization. The perception is that they “play” tougher. The reality is they are allowed to impede, clutch, grab and generally play dinky because its their ”style.” Same for the Pens, Flyers, Canes, TB and to certain extent FLA. Add a superstar and the deference grows. Crosby nut shotting not one but two players with one needing surgery was laughed off. Chicago and NYR are original six and deemed bedrock franchises so the league defers to whatever they want. How they were allowed to be in the Bedard sweepstakes after the crap they pulled is amazing.

Alot of NHL officials are former players who didn’t make it, and many are Canadian, with the same deeply rooted bias about who is a quality organization and who isn’t. Fred Shero once quipped that the referees can’t make every call so keep doing whatever it takes as they will not call enough to ameliorate the advantage you get from technically illegal play.

And then they are the throwbacks who don’t want fighting out of the game. Only the NHL allows players to return to the same game after a fist fight. Should it be outlawed? IMHO no, especially if there is no consistency in the amount and level of calls. Some self preservation is needed. But it adds to the conundrum the league finds itself in.

Last night it was apparent that there were two evenly matched teams. Yet the officials essentially tilted the ice in favor of the of the one they perceived to be better. And that happens all too frequently.

All the other comments about game management and gambling are all spot on. But what is apparent to me is that the old guard way of thinking will not go gently into that good night.

The answer? Beat them at their own game. You have to have that mix that can get nasty and exact a price when it appears the game is being managed in one side’s favor. This takes a commitment from ownership and management to build a roster that can play to their abilities no matter the opponent. A roster or approach committed to skill and populated with small less physical players is at a disadvantage when the referees are not balanced or when they put the whistles away not wanting to influence the outcome, .i.e. Playoffs. The Sabres do not have the ability or desire to do that consistently enough as currently constructed.

I am generally not a blame the officials guy, having been one. But the league has a problem and I don’t think they even realize it. Last night was just emblematic of that problem.

Sorry for the verbose response. But the NHL is a garage league, and will continue to be because they like it that way. Adapt. Adjust. Or flail away in futility.

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
This scene was my first thought after watching UPL let in that OT goal:

RefsIdeas

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
It could have more to do who was replacing him
Yep.

The third line was atrocious for a while. Jost is nothing more than a rotational 4th line guy.

Reuniting Peterka - Cozens - Quinn and having a legitimate third line with Greenway (who came back around the same time as Quinn) Mitts and Benson gives us a much more balanced lineup.

K8fool

Sep 30, 2018
stomach of giant parasitic worm
Especially the UGLY!

I've been wondering... maybe it's always been this bad???? Like we are able to see so many games these days where as 30 years ago you got to attend and watch your home team on a tiny 19"SDTV?

I mean..... there are 2 refs on the ice now and they stink it up worse than a solitary one did in the past.

Wally Harris is still a bum but hell, I liked it better when ref's had a known personality and approach to calling the game......
Yea. Harris was a bum. So was hood.

It wasn't anywhere near outcome adjusted as it has been and 99.8 percent of people cant see league generated puck luck ( see: nhl EDGE systems money trail and bragging , narcotic s can change freque Harmonic like anger adrenaline to overcome : see also tracendence moviE and contrl factor , teases bragging)

Look at weird goals against buffalo all year and ammount of posts hit sabres a basis for fishy. There's more obvious to us affected personally but we as a fan base can complain and call out. Surprised EJ has the balls , as I'm boxed blackballed and few see my posts that already believed i was insane.

All they , team, can do is fight like they have past 8 games aside from illuminated mirror 9 4 columbus proving ground , to show their "power" and send multiple messages. Bills found a way for the downtrodden in buff maybe these guys can overcome insurmountable odds. Full impulse power joke from masonic star trek two plus parasite cortex bonus.

Buffalo teams can't really complain both are as talented or more than any in both leagues, will they fight every single night and let fans discern and loudly call bs.

Last edited:

K8fool

Sep 30, 2018
Clown show. I’m not a ‘blame the ref’ guy but tonight was gross.
We are taught that honorable don't blame ref. I still think only us here can. Sabres must win "5 2 " every game now even if shows as other scores and put head down and work for 50 straight w days off for burnt emotional and physical for having to overcome more than they should.

26 shot blocks , great stats young men

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
There are a couple factors at play - all of the review seems to make the officials passive. Review is part of it. So too are the constantly shifting comments from the league about what they do want enforced - today hooking, tomorrow slashing, next week maybe it's hits from behind. But they never seem to push into "call the rules closer to how they are written". And then there is the biggest factor - why call a game correctly when one can "manage" the game to make it somehow balanced and perhaps influence the outcome into extra time? We see management way, way too often. Add in the sponsorship from gambling and it almost smacks of being nefarious and illegal. What sport wants its officials to tacitly point shave games unless there is some benefit to the league like say... ad revenue?
Yes.... the promotion of gambling seems to have accelerated the decline in the quality of officiating.

Merry Christmas Chain!

K8fool

Sep 30, 2018

GarCIAs. Hey wasnt that bad of a hit ( unnecessary attempt be like his captain , unreal Trouba in a captains position as kyle shouldn't have to argue honor as both ej and sippycup dropped simultaneously and agreed to fight. FN zebra scum. ). but LOVED EJ all in w some very good shots before losi Wrestling match.

Even better result considering the F overs I'm seeing and hearing about.

Wtf skinner get a misconduct for ? soft skinned tools ( should wear a rangee patch as snakes advertise their dangerous) taking up the nyc highway warped their minds , too adraid to get locked out of underground.

Thank You

Last edited:

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
betting on the NHL is like betting on the WWE. Unless you know how the matches are booked, you are purely gambling. Just go play the slots at that point

I see your point to a degree but honestly I think I'd be much more comfortable betting on wrestling. There are usually logical processes that go into the decisions, at least. The only thing predictable about the NHL product is that the officiating is going to be terrible and could decide the outcome. At least when a referee at a wrestling match is terrible, it's usually a storyline and known going into the match

Reactions: sabremike and dortt

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
And?

Bad UPL? Bad Dahlin? Both?

I forget who that was just in the frame. I remember Tage outside of the frame, and being his usual inconsequential self inside our blueline.

It was great getting the point tonight. Pissing on any single player for the loss misses the point.
UPL went for a skate, the loss is on him. It's not the first time hes done this or tried to play the puck out of his net only to have it backfire on him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad