Proposal: Improving the Penguins defense (Trouba and Goligoski)

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Trouba might be the most overrated player in HF Boards History. Personally I'd rather just keep Shultz, I believe he is equal to Trouba or at worst just a hair behind him.

Very true. But he is still a good deal better than Schultz

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Schultz was a catastrophe last season. Buyer beware...

View attachment 228341

Yeah, this is important to note, Schultz had a dreadful year last year. A part of it was due to injury and a part was due to playing with Johnson, but he was a cluster**** overall.

The OP is way too complicated. Just keep the deal Kessel for Merkley and pick #14 and target a LD to play with Schultz for the 2nd pair. Getting another Dumoulin type of defenseman to play with Schultz on the 2nd pair should be the goal, adding Trouba is unnecessary.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015

View attachment 228341

Well. If you look at that with Zero context.

He had a terrible injury that took him 3 months to recovry from and didn't look the same upon returning. So injuries were more the problem...oh and his most common linemate was Jack Johnson...Schultz was dealt a terrible hand this past season.

Reactions: Toby Flenderson

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Well. If you look at that with Zero context.

He had a terrible injury that took him 3 months to recovry from and didn't look the same upon returning. So injuries were more the problem...oh and his most common linemate was Jack Johnson...Schultz was dealt a terrible hand this past season.
Somehow the fact that he had a terrible injury and "didn't look the same upon returning" doesn't make him look like a more attractive trade acquisition...

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Somehow the fact that he had a terrible injury and "didn't look the same upon returning" doesn't make him look like a more attractive trade acquisition...

usually most players who have big injuries don't look the same in season...

We'll see how he looks this upcoming season.

And again...Jack Johnson. Lol that was probably the bigger issue.

Reactions: Toby Flenderson

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
The Jets will just keep him as an own rental if it comes to offers like this. The Jets would easily get this much for Trouba as a pure rental. So, if it is only terrible offers like this one the Jets are better off keeping Trouba for one more Cup run and letting him walk as a UFA.

What are you expecting to get in return for him? Just curious what makes an offer like this terrible.

Blue chip prospects barely get moved when it comes to guys like Karlsson or Stone.

I do agree there is a point when it just becomes worth it to keep him and shoot our shot. But a 1st and two 2nds seems like a pretty fair assessment of his value to a team extending him vs what we will get out of him for 1 year.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
What are you expecting to get in return for him? Just curious what makes an offer like this terrible.

Blue chip prospects barely get moved when it comes to guys like Karlsson or Stone.

I do agree there is a point when it just becomes worth it to keep him and shoot our shot. But a 1st and two 2nds seems like a pretty fair assessment of his value to a team extending him vs what we will get out of him for 1 year.
I'd rather a 1st and 22nds. I trust our drafting more than I trust a D coming from Pittsburgh without a lot of research.

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
Hamonic sure, but I think Hamilton in Boston is almost identical to Trouba in Winni.
Trouba and Hamilton have been comparable offensively over a number of years, but Trouba is strong defensively while Hamilton is a liability.
And, Hamilton didn’t demand a specific region. Trouba wants exclusively the East, I think that hampers his value a little.
Ostensibly Trouba wants to be someplace where his fiancé can go to school. Canadian medical schools are usually subsidized and therefor only accept students that qualify for permanent residence status. There has been talk about Detroit because he’s from Michigan and Florida because that’s where he lives in the offseason, there hasn’t been any suggestion this needs to be in the east.
Boston got the best deal the market would give them.
They did not. One of the biggest criticisms of the trade was that most GM’s didn’t even know he was available and apparently several suggested they would have offered more to get him

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas

A better return than this. I know you're more a fan of the "trade him now, it doesn't matter what we get" plan. However, like the majority of other Jet fans in this thread, I see nothing in this offer of interest.

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010

View attachment 228341

Anyone would be a disaster playing with Jack Johnson on his weak side position.

Schultz is easily our 3rd best defenseman. Not his fault the old man brought in garbage for him to play with.

I have no problem keeping Schultz. He’s our best PP defenseman by far. GMJR needs to worry about moving Johnson and Maatta long before Schultz. Those two don’t fit in Sullivan’s defensive scheme and Schultz does.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Anyone would be a disaster playing with Jack Johnson on his weak side position.

Schultz is easily our 3rd best defenseman. Not his fault the old man brought in garbage for him to play with.

I have no problem keeping Schultz. He’s our best PP defenseman by far. GMJR needs to worry about moving Johnson and Maatta long before Schultz. Those two don’t fit in Sullivan’s defensive scheme and Schultz does.
I don't think we need a pp qb d. We have Niku, Mo and Buff. We need a shut down guy who can get the puck out of our end. So by all means keep him.

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
I don't think we need a pp qb d. We have Niku, Mo and Buff. We need a shut down guy who can get the puck out of our end. So by all means keep him.

That’s a better justification than just shitting on a player without looking at the circumstances.

I don’t give a shit who you play with Jack Johnson on his weak side. Their stats are going to suck.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
A better return than this. I know you're more a fan of the "trade him now, it doesn't matter what we get" plan. However, like the majority of other Jet fans in this thread, I see nothing in this offer of interest.

Anything somewhat specific as to what it would take for you to consider moving Trouba?

I see nothing wrong with keeping guys for one last year. And I wont be too upset one way or the other.

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
Anything somewhat specific as to what it would take for you to consider moving Trouba?

I see nothing wrong with keeping guys for one last year. And I wont be too upset one way or the other.
No not really. An offer like this is basically what we would get for Trouba as a pure rental. So, an extended Trouba is worth far, far more than that.

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
No not really. An offer like this is basically what we would get for Trouba as a pure rental. So, an extended Trouba is worth far, far more than that.
Umm what? There’s no way you get an offer like this for a rental Trouba

The jump from Schultz to Trouba for 1 season, or if it’s at the deadline like 3 months, is not worth the 14th pick and one of our best prospects.

Those trades don’t happen, I would love for you to provide an example.

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas

The jump from Schultz to Trouba for 1 season, or if it’s at the deadline like 3 months, is not worth the 14th pick and one of our best prospects.

Okay, maybe the offer is slightly more than a TDL rental. However, as I said it is nowhere near enough for an extended Trouba.

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011

We got a similar or better package for 20 game rental of Andrew Ladd. I'm confident we'll get better for a 24 year old right shot dman coming off a 50 point year

Reactions: Snowman

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad