Proposal: Improving the Penguins defense (Trouba and Goligoski)

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
Kessel and Maatta for Goligoski, Merkely, 14th OA

Schultz, Hallander, 14th OA (AZ 2019 1st) for Trouba (agrees to extend roughly 6 years x 7m or so)

-The Kessel to coyotes for 14th OA and a young forward has been discussed a lot. This version has the swap of Maatta and Goligoski as well. Gogo has the better offensive output, but Maatta is younger and cheaper so AZ saves also cap which might intrigue them.

-Gauging Trouba’s value is very hard on hfboards. But I think the jets get good value here. If Trouba and Myers both leave, they will be left with just Buff on the right side which is a problem for a contending team. Schultz is a really solid top 4 RHD that can jump into Trouba’s spot. He’s got 1 year left at 5.25m, so the jets will save cap and can decide whether or not to re-sign him after. The 14th pick is pretty solid, and is the highest pick that Hamilton got a few years ago when he was in a similar situation. I’ve heard that the Jets are interested in center or D prospects, so they also get Hallander who is a 2nd round pick from a year ago and looks good.

Penguins new and improved defense:

Dumoulin-Letang
Goligoski-Trouba
Pettersson-Addison

Johnson and Gud get bought out or sent to the minors or something b/c they are awful.

Thoughts?

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
You're not getting Trouba with that. NOR are you getting him at 7mil or else the Jets would've locked him up at that number.

When Trouba held out, Chevy confirmed a contract wasn't even discussed.......not about money he just wants to play in the USA (rumour) and likely one of Wings, Panthers, Flyers, Rangers or Bolts all have been linked to rumours to him in the past, all fill his desire of American, big market and Jets do hold some leverage dispite what some might hope/think. Rental offers won't get him traded, if rental offers only thing offered Chevy is better off keeping him one more year as our own rental.......only offers greater then one year rental offers would be considered (meaning trade/sign deal benefits all parties especially Trouba). Doesn't mean it will happen, just most logical......but timing is everything. Fun summer ahead.

IMO Trouba will get a new long term deal from someone that starts with a 7.

PS, this deal isn't all that interesting.

Reactions: Peter Tagli Eddie

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
When Trouba held out, Chevy confirmed a contract wasn't even discussed.......not about money he just wants to play in the USA (rumour) and likely one of Wings, Panthers, Flyers, Rangers or Bolts all have been linked to rumours to him in the past, all fill his desire of American, big market and Jets do hold some leverage dispite what some might hope/think. Rental offers won't get him traded, if rental offers only thing offered Chevy is better off keeping him one more year as our own rental.......only offers greater then one year rental offers would be considered (meaning trade/sign deal benefits all parties especially Trouba). Doesn't mean it will happen, just most logical......but timing is everything. Fun summer ahead.

IMO Trouba will get a new long term deal from someone that starts with a 7.

PS, this deal isn't all that interesting.
Schultz is a rental, but he would replace Trouba’s offensive output pretty admirably. And you get the 14th pick and a solid prospect. I think that benefits the Jets more than keeping him and letting him walk.

I could be wrong tho I’m not saying they need to do it haha just my opinion

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Schultz is a rental, but he would replace Trouba’s offensive output pretty admirably. And you get the 14th pick and a solid prospect. I think that benefits the Jets more than keeping him and letting him walk.

I could be wrong tho I’m not saying they need to do it haha just my opinion

Opinions are all good, that's why we all come here. Your offer is basically saying the Jets in their peek window to contend should significantly downgrade from Trouba to Schultz (both same term) and the Pens would compensate the Jets for this down grade with middle pack 1st Rd pick and a 2nd Rd prospect.

Top pairing RHD traded at the TDL (20 games or so only) like Trouba would easily get a mid to late 1st, 2nd Rd pick.....maybe more.

Is your offer brutal? No

Does your offer great/good? No

Could a Trouba trade end up similar? Maybe, time will tell. Personally I would keep kicking tires if I was Chevy looking for a better deal.......its debatable if I would do it or not or just keep Trouba one more year for max effort playoff push.

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
Opinions are all good, that's why we all come here. Your offer is basically saying the Jets in their peek window to contend should significantly downgrade from Trouba to Schultz (both same term) and the Pens would compensate the Jets for this down grade with middle pack 1st Rd pick and a 2nd Rd prospect.

Top pairing RHD traded at the TDL (20 games or so only) like Trouba would easily get a mid to late 1st, 2nd Rd pick.....maybe more.

Is your offer brutal? No

Does your offer great/good? No

Could a Trouba trade end up similar? Maybe, time will tell. Personally I would keep kicking tires if I was Chevy looking for a better deal.......its debatable if I would do it or not or just keep Trouba one more year for max effort playoff push.
Honest question:

Do jets fans view Trouba as more, less, or equal in value than Hamilton when he was dealt from Boston to Calgary?

I tried to use that as a base cause I think they’re similar value considering age, skill, both wanting out, etc. Dougie got 1st, 2 2nds.
14th OA = 1st
Hallander = 2nd
Schultz > 2nd

Last edited:

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
No thanks from Winnipeg. Trouba will get a better return than this easily.

He will get a different return, but depending on how one views Schultz, I doubt he'd get a better return. I'm not saying this makes sense for Winnipeg, but value wise that's probably about the best they'd get. Top 4 RD, quality prospect and a mid 1st.

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
He will get a different return, but depending on how one views Schultz, I doubt he'd get a better return. I'm not saying this makes sense for Winnipeg, but value wise that's probably about the best they'd get. Top 4 RD, quality prospect and a mid 1st.
Except Schultz is a one year rental. Jets will get better than that easily or keep the vastly superior player in Trouba.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
The Arizona trade is very fair. The Winnipeg one is awful.

Not really, OP was on track using Hamilton as a comparison. 1st + 2nds...thats less than a 1st, 2nd round player, and Schultz. Apples to apples, Schultz is worth a lot more than a 2nd.

Travis Hamonic was trade for a 1st and 2 2nds as well. Schultz has comparable value to both. I think thats too much going to Winnipeg, especially for a guy that may not want to sign there.

I do the first one. Not entirely sure I do the 2nd. Would have to play with it some.

Last edited:

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Pens shouldn't have interest in Goligoski. those days are over.

He's exactly who we should have interest in... a good PMD who has a reasonably well rounded game. Yes he's not 27 any more... but given our needs and the fact that Gogo should be good as a depth player over the next 3-4 seasons, yes I'd be very interested in him if he was available at a manageable price.

Reactions: Toby Flenderson

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Not really, OP was on track using Hamilton as a comparison. 1st + 2nds...thats less than a 1st, 2nd round player, and Schultz. Apples to apples, Schultz is worth a lot more than a 2nd.

Travis Hamonic was trade for a 1st and 2 2nds as well. Schultz has comparable value to both. I think thats too much going to Winnipeg, especially for a guy that may not want to sign there.

I do the first one. Not entirely sure I do the 2nd. Would have to play with it some.
Trouba is better than Hamilton and Hamonic.

And when Hamilton got traded, most people thought Boston got bent over.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
How are you dumping JJ and Maata? Are you including your 1sts?

That won't be necessary. That would be almost as dumb as signing JJ in the first place. Congrats on having an idea almost as dumb as signing JJ. Pretty impressive to outmatch the old man, but you sure did it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad