Import Draft (maybe?)

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
The CHL Import Draft was originally scheduled for June 30th. They usually wait until after the draft for this, but have not formally announced what they will be doing. I think it has something to do with the # of players you can have the rights to (I want to say you can carry the rights to a 3rd guy if one of them is a 1st round pick in the NHL, correct me if I'm wrong).

Can the CHL Import Draft wait until after this year's NHL Draft, in which we don't even know the date of? Seems like a headache to have the draft and then have the picks make an almost instant choice on if they wish to report or not. I say that not knowing the timeline, but it sounds like the NHL draft will fall very close to the hopeful start date of the CHL.

Has anyone seen or heard anything?

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
The CHL Import Draft was originally scheduled for June 30th. They usually wait until after the draft for this, but have not formally announced what they will be doing. I think it has something to do with the # of players you can have the rights to (I want to say you can carry the rights to a 3rd guy if one of them is a 1st round pick in the NHL, correct me if I'm wrong).

Can the CHL Import Draft wait until after this year's NHL Draft, in which we don't even know the date of? Seems like a headache to have the draft and then have the picks make an almost instant choice on if they wish to report or not. I say that not knowing the timeline, but it sounds like the NHL draft will fall very close to the hopeful start date of the CHL.

Has anyone seen or heard anything?

you’re correct on the 1st round thing. They were talking about also making you eligible to add The rights to a 3rd selection if your import signs an ELC, but haven’t seen that confirmed anywhere yet

I can confirm the teams have not been told when the import draft is going to be yet though

Last edited:

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Yeah, if they were a first round pick, or if they signed, you can pick again but still keep their rights.

Reactions: dirty12

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Yeah, if they were a first round pick, or if they signed, you can pick again but still keep their rights.

The only 2019 OHL import guy taken who has signed his ELC is Arturs Silovs so BAR will be able to pick twice next draft.

Mysak (HAM) and Raymond (MISS) are probably the only 1st rounders from the OHL side of the 2019 import so HAM/MISS will also be able to select twice next draft and keep Mysak/Raymond (if they're taken in the 1st)

Reactions: HockeyPops

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
The only 2019 OHL import guy taken who has signed his ELC is Arturs Silovs so BAR will be able to pick twice next draft.

Mysak (HAM) and Raymond (MISS) are probably the only 1st rounders from the OHL side of the 2019 import so HAM/MISS will also be able to select twice next draft and keep Mysak/Raymond (if they're taken in the 1st)

I think the 67’s are 100% certain Rossi will go to Europe next season if he doesn’t play NHL. The question now would be whether they release him front heir roster or not? I think they’d keep him regardless and pick one player instead of two. They can always trade for a skater later if they need one.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
I think the 67’s are 100% certain Rossi will go to Europe next season if he doesn’t play NHL. The question now would be whether they release him front heir roster or not? I think they’d keep him regardless and pick one player instead of two. They can always trade for a skater later if they need one.

Rossi will be a first rounder so they can still draft 2 people, assuming they’re releasing Okhotyuk

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
would Rossi be eligible for the AHL? Sandin went the season after he got drafted by the Leafs, but I'm not sure of the exact rule.

if he can, I'm sure he's good as gone. way too good for the OHL

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
@Generalsupdates If the import draft happens before the NHL draft, then how could Ottawa keep the rights to Rossi and draft a replacement, before Rossi is even drafted?

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
@Generalsupdates If the import draft happens before the NHL draft, then how could Ottawa keep the rights to Rossi and draft a replacement, before Rossi is even drafted?

That’s why I can’t see it happening before the nhl draft. A huge part of the draft relies on knowing if a guy was a first rounder or not. The last the GM/owners heard about the import draft was that its not happening within the next month and borders are still a huge issue. They’re waiting for the NHL to announce when their draft is

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Rossi will be a first rounder so they can still draft 2 people, assuming they’re releasing Okhotyuk

It depends on whether the NHL draft is before the Import Draft. If the Import draft happens first, Rossi isn’t a Draft Pick yet.

EDIT:

There has been a push by some NHL teams to not have a draft until after the conclusion of the season so teams can trade players. I doubt that will happen BUT who knows. Also, there are conditions on 1st round picks like protected Lottery picks. So, at minimum, the NHL draft cannot happen until at least after the conclusion of the first round so they at least know which teams technically missed the playoffs and are in the lottery so to speak. They may have an answer to that question after the lottery if none of the playoff slots win a top 3 pick but if one of those teams do win a top 3 pick, they will have to wait. If the CHL is planning on starting on time, the Import draft needs to happen soon’ish. If the NHL starts mid-July, it will take them at least to end of July to sort out the draft board and positioning. I can’t see an NHL Draft until August. That would mean an Import draft mid-August? With so many European Countries ahead of North America from a perspective of Virus relief, if the Import draft happens mid-AGust, I could see a lot of players staying in Europe and playing pro.

Last edited:

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
would Rossi be eligible for the AHL? Sandin went the season after he got drafted by the Leafs, but I'm not sure of the exact rule.

if he can, I'm sure he's good as gone. way too good for the OHL

By the sounds of it, no. It has been reported if Rossi doesn’t make his NHL squad, he will play in Europe for the year an then come back to North America the following year. I could see the 67’s releasing his rights to the AHL though if asked ($$$).

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
It depends on whether the NHL draft is before the Import Draft. If the Import draft happens first, Rossi isn’t a Draft Pick yet.

EDIT:

There has been a push by some NHL teams to not have a draft until after the conclusion of the season so teams can trade players. I doubt that will happen BUT who knows. Also, there are conditions on 1st round picks like protected Lottery picks. So, at minimum, the NHL draft cannot happen until at least after the conclusion of the first round so they at least know which teams technically missed the playoffs and are in the lottery so to speak. They may have an answer to that question after the lottery if none of the playoff slots win a top 3 pick but if one of those teams do win a top 3 pick, they will have to wait. If the CHL is planning on starting on time, the Import draft needs to happen soon’ish. If the NHL starts mid-July, it will take them at least to end of July to sort out the draft board and positioning. I can’t see an NHL Draft until August. That would mean an Import draft mid-August? With so many European Countries ahead of North America from a perspective of Virus relief, if the Import draft happens mid-AGust, I could see a lot of players staying in Europe and playing pro.

Unfortunately I don't think anyone really knows what will happen with the NHL draft and how that will affect the CHL and further to that the OHL teams.

Having said that the CHL did hold there North American drafts so that would show signs that if the NHL draft does happen the CHL import draft will happen. Owen Sound's GM has always believed that the import draft is a true shot in the dark, could you get a prospect that is CHL caliber player well I think we all know how that works in the league. As for reporting there absolutely nothing that would or should change the odds for or against players reporting.

As we all know if they do there will have to be a ton of precautionary measures in place before anything happens, could they push the import draft back and still have a reasonable amount of time yes, will they who knows? I can see the CHL announcing details in regards to the CHL import draft within the next few weeks. If they conduct the draft then the CHL would believe that the odds the 2020/21 season and travel ability will be likely to happen if not then there will be a lot of unknowns still on whether or not 2020/21 season will even happen.

Until then we can spin personally what we think could happen until it does it's truly a guess.

winnerskull

Jan 3, 2017
I don't know how it will work with NHL draft picks and the 1st round rule, but I have heard the import draft will still happen at the end of June

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Is it possible to have some different rules for this years import draft if they do go ahead of the NHL entry draft? It isn't like there is a CBA with a players association involved.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Is it possible to have some different rules for this years import draft if they do go ahead of the NHL entry draft? It isn't like there is a CBA with a players association involved.

Absolutely.

The CHL could allow each team to draft two players if they wish or at least if the teams had players that they were reasonably certain would not return like Ottawa with Rossi.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Absolutely.

The CHL could allow each team to draft two players if they wish or at least if the teams had players that they were reasonably certain would not return like Ottawa with Rossi.

I guess the trick here would be getting all 3 leagues in agreement, if they do decide to vary some rules for this season only. I could see some one off changes for this year in a few respects.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I guess the trick here would be getting all 3 leagues in agreement, if they do decide to vary some rules for this season only. I could see some one off changes for this year in a few respects.

I think we may end up seeing quite a few one off rules for this season. Most of those rules will be related to the potential late NHL start vs the potential normal start for the CHL. There will be teams with drafted payers that may attend camps well into the start of the OHL season. We just don’t know. What if a player starts the season on his OHL team, attends an NHL camp in late October and makes his NHL Squad? Normally that player would be assigned to Junior and would have to adhere to the call up guidelines. Technically, without any additional rules amendments, any CHL players NHL teams want to work out in an NHL camp would have to hold them back From starting their Junior season until they are reassigned tot heir junior team. Can you imagine if the OHL had a bunch of players participating in a late October Rookie Camp and those players did not have some form of permission to play in league games until after their NHL camps?

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
I don't know how it will work with NHL draft picks and the 1st round rule, but I have heard the import draft will still happen at the end of June

I spoke directly to one of the owners 3 days ago and he was told the draft is “month to month” from happening with no date yet

so I’d be shocked if it happens on time in June

Last edited:

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Hes the communications manager for the Halifax Mooseheads

We'll see I guess. When I was talking to the owner he said they have no idea how they're going to handle the borders and that's the biggest issue, along with obviously the NHL Draft

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Obviously they can create seperate rules for this draft because of the unique circumstances. If the draft is indeed held before the NHL draft, let every team draft 2 players. When the season starts though teams can still only have 2 players on their roster.

I personally don’t see the difference in waiting for the NHL draft assuming they can tweak veg rules a bit for this draft. Also, the point is probably mute because it’s going to be difficult to sell many of these players on coming over to the CHL if/when there is a season.

Reactions: OHLTG

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Also, the point is probably mute because it’s going to be difficult to sell many of these players on coming over to the CHL if/when there is a season.

I think this is key. Convincing players to come to NA can be tough in a normal year. Now that COVID is added into the mix, I could see more players staying home and taking a chance there. They'll still get development and know that if stuff hits the fan again, they're around family/friends.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017

can’t see how this makes sense on any level

How do you convince a top prospect to come over when you don’t know if he’s even allowed in your country, you don’t know when your season is starting and you don’t know if you’re even going to be able to have a season? Going to be so many teams who take someone just for that player to stay in Europe I’d imagine, at least for next year

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
can’t see how this makes sense on any level

How do you convince a top prospect to come over when you don’t know if he’s even allowed in your country, you don’t know when your season is starting and you don’t know if you’re even going to be able to have a season? Going to be so many teams who take someone just for that player to stay in Europe I’d imagine, at least for next year

most teams have their guys before the draft. it will just be a matter of if & when they can come. if they can’t, they stay home and play until they can come here. I doubt we’ll see any actual signings until there is more news.

Reactions: NOA

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad