Implications of cap going down?

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I don't see the CD improving much anytime soon. That being said if it were going to go down $4MM I think the league would give owners a heads up.

If it is true Teams will need young cheap talent so you can probably forget getting a 2nd for someone like Medvedev.

I think that ship sailed anyways. The Flyers got a gift from Dean Lombardi. Medvedev is a much lesser known commodity than Luke Schenn. A 33-year old defenseman who can't stay in the lineup over Brandon Manning probably ain't worth a ton, and if an offer existed right now I'd take it. If Medvedev were waived, I think he'd clear.

Flyers management love Nick Schultz. And there's plenty of cap room as Appleyard showed.

The lineup he posted is still over the assuming drop of an even $4M of the cap. I'm sure Hextall isn't going to want to be counting pennies every day, either. They'd definitely have to trade Read.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
No, they could just let Raffl go and replace him with a cheaper player. And this $4m decrease is just a rumor right now, not a locked in number.

We cannot afford to bury him there with the cap going down.

Yes we can. We can also have him on the team. Try actually running the numbers like Appleyard did before making inaccurate claims.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
No, they could just let Raffl go and replace him with a cheaper player. And this $4m decrease is just a rumor right now, not a locked in number.

Raffl could be cheaper himself, which would be fine. Some of these bottom-six forwards are going to have to take paycuts to stick in the league.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
The Flyers will manage. I have no idea what the Pens, Kings and Hawks will do.

Voracek ($8.25m) -- Giroux ($8.275m) -- Simmonds ($3.975m)
Raffl ($2m) -- Couturier ($4.33m) -- Schenn ($4.2m)
Laughton ($0.863m) -- Cousins ($0.9m) -- Read ($3.625m)
Leier ($0.780m) -- Bellemare ($0.713m) -- VandeVelde ($0.713m)
xxxxx (~$0.7m)

Del Zotto ($3.875m) -- Gostisbehere ($0.925m)
Schultz ($2.25m) -- Streit ($5.25m)
Provorov ($0.925m) -- Gudas ($3m)
MacDonald ($5m)

Mason ($4.1m)
Neuvirth ($1.625m)

Umberger buyout ($1.6m)

Overall cap: ~$67.9m

And that is without trading Streit, Schultz or Read at deadline or in summer...

If the cap really drops by $4m I think those projections for Schenn and Gudas are a bit high. 4 and 2.75 would be more realistic in a $67.4m salary cap league.

daynus

Nov 25, 2002
Good Ole Saskatchewan
Visit site
Canada is in a funny position globally. Although their is no optimal price for oil, Canada needs 30-50$ barrel price. And America would love the greenback to drop, their exports are pricey. If the Canadian dollar can hit .75-.80 we may be able to avoid a 4m$ cap drop.

CodyTheHuman

Dec 31, 2014
California
Flyers management love Nick Schultz. And there's plenty of cap room as Appleyard showed.

Hextall should use his lack of points, suspension(s), the stagnating cap and his RFA status to get him down to 2.75 or even 2.5.

I still think 2.75 is too high for Gudas. His play has dropped off recently.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad