Implementing the roster for the upcoming season

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Blashill maybe wants Kindl in the lineup, giving him a real chance rebound mentally (if his long slum happened because Babcock's treatment..). That would restore his trade value back on track, and then... Kenny trades him out from the way of Marchenko/Ouellet. We don't really need that guy, but have to use him, if we ever want to see a trade.

So far he's the 7th.

He basically never talks about Quincey... I think it is pretty telling. I mean Blashill gets really down when the D-man cannot go D to D and are sloppy passers in their own end. That in and of itself could catch up to Kindl, but it remains the biggest problem for Quincey. It hampered DeKeyser at times a lot last year, he is better at emergency defending once he gets the grenade pass from Q.

That is an area that must improve or Blashill will be punitive with Quincey. It caught up with Evans from time to time in the AHL, but actually Evans was a decent D to D passer his problem was head-manning the puck. Still it is an area he watches closely, it saw guys ice time sky-rocket in GR, Western and Indy. He likes smooth passers, it is the reason Billins and Krug exploded in ice time under him despite problems in their games when they played for him.

The fact is Q is the spottiest passer we have on the back-end. He is very erratic and it hurts his partners. He has done a good job of rounding into a physical stay at home type. But that simple pass is usually there once or twice a game that he messes up and leads to a lot of pressure. But I think this is an area Blashill concentrates on a lot and it is a reason in my opinion he has been awfully quiet on Quincey.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
He basically never talks about Quincey... I think it is pretty telling. I mean Blashill gets really down when the D-man cannot go D to D and are sloppy passers in their own end. That in and of itself could catch up to Kindl, but it remains the biggest problem for Quincey. It hampered DeKeyser at times a lot last year, he is better at emergency defending once he gets the grenade pass from Q.

That is an area that must improve or Blashill will be punitive with Quincey. It caught up with Evans from time to time in the AHL, but actually Evans was a decent D to D passer his problem was head-manning the puck. Still it is an area he watches closely, it saw guys ice time sky-rocket in GR, Western and Indy. He likes smooth passers, it is the reason Billins and Krug exploded in ice time under him despite problems in their games when they played for him.

The fact is Q is the spottiest passer we have on the back-end. He is very erratic and it hurts his partners. He has done a good job of rounding into a physical stay at home type. But that simple pass is usually there once or twice a game that he messes up and leads to a lot of pressure. But I think this is an area Blashill concentrates on a lot and it is a reason in my opinion he has been awfully quiet on Quincey.

I like Danny D's passing

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015

In a perfect world, I would hope that in a contract year Quincey does alright and doesn't get doghoused. That way, if the Wings are on the bubble when the deadline comes, they can let some other team overpay for him. However, Holland wouldn't do that.

Regardless of the outcome of this upcoming season, I fully expect Holland to re-sign Quincey on 7/1/16 and go into 16/17 with the same 7 Dmen.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
In a perfect world, I would hope that in a contract year Quincey does alright and doesn't get doghoused. That way, if the Wings are on the bubble when the deadline comes, they can let some other team overpay for him. However, Holland wouldn't do that.

Regardless of the outcome of this upcoming season, I fully expect Holland to re-sign Quincey on 7/1/16 and go into 16/17 with the same 7 Dmen.

So when Ouellet, Marchenko, Sproul, Jensen all have to get waived to be sent down to Grand Rapids... what happens?

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
So when Ouellet, Marchenko, Sproul, Jensen all have to get waived to be sent down to Grand Rapids... what happens?

Waivers for all four, then the inevitable "too much depth is a good problem to have. Players are staying in the AHL a lot longer these days. We like our team."

Even if Quincey doesn't get re-signed, it's inevitable that 3 of them will hit waivers because you know Holland won't trade Kindl or Smith....

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Waivers for all four, then the inevitable "too much depth is a good problem to have. Players are staying in the AHL a lot longer these days. We like our team."

Even if Quincey doesn't get re-signed, it's inevitable that 3 of them will hit waivers because you know Holland won't trade Kindl or Smith....

You think they will all pass? I can tell you right now Ouellett and Marchenko won't IMO. Think someone would take a flyer on Sproul, too. Maybe Jensen passes, but that's about it.

And then our prospect pipeline consists of Hicketts, Saarijärvi, Russo, and Jensen on the back end. Yikes.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
You think they will all pass? I can tell you right now Ouellett and Marchenko won't IMO. Think someone would take a flyer on Sproul, too. Maybe Jensen passes, but that's about it.

And then our prospect pipeline consists of Hicketts, Saarijärvi, Russo, and Jensen on the back end. Yikes.

I have no clue, the new CBA rule that says waiver claims have to stay on the claiming teams roster for 30 days seems to have lessened claims at the beginning of the season, but you never know with injuries and such.

I just have a hard time envisioning a scenario where Oullett and Marchenko are on the 23 man roster next October, unless Holland does truly let Quincey walk and he decides to carry 8dmen. But then again, he always has a boatload of forwards to contend with as well. And even if Holland does let Quincey go, I can see him using the opening to panic a cheap veteran Dman.

In reality, Holland should've never signed a barely proven Kindl to a 4 year deal, and Smith should've gotten one.

I can't wait to see what DeKeyser's agent asks for next summer when he has Ericsson, Quincey, Kindl and Smiths salaries to compare to...

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I have no clue, the new CBA rule that says waiver claims have to stay on the claiming teams roster for 30 days seems to have lessened claims at the beginning of the season, but you never know with injuries and such.

I just have a hard time envisioning a scenario where Oullett and Marchenko are on the 23 man roster next October, unless Holland does truly let Quincey walk and he decides to carry 8dmen. But then again, he always has a boatload of forwards to contend with as well. And even if Holland does let Quincey go, I can see him using the opening to panic a cheap veteran Dman.

In reality, Holland should've never signed a barely proven Kindl to a 4 year deal, and Smith should've gotten one.

I can't wait to see what DeKeyser's agent asks for next summer when he has Ericsson, Quincey, Kindl and Smiths salaries to compare to...

I know that Kindl is signed until 2017-2018, but we have to find a way to get rid of him, right? I mean he is not worth losing a prospect over.

And then I think we almost have to let Quincey go, because of the amount of raises guys are due for.

So that is 2 spots. But yeah, even then, we are going to lose some of these prospects. But that was always most likely going to be the case. I really think with these guys waiver exemption running out it is do or die time for Smith. He either proves himself this year or I think they ship him out.

I say at the last you have

Guaranteed on the team: Kronwall, Green, Dekeyser, Ericsson
Sink or Swim: Smith
Out: Kindl, Quincey

So that leaves 2 or possibly 3 spots for the 4 guys running out of exemption next year. My guess would be 2 spots open up, and they go to XO and Marchenko.

Invictus12

Aug 1, 2010
New York
I know that Kindl is signed until 2017-2018, but we have to find a way to get rid of him, right? I mean he is not worth losing a prospect over.

And then I think we almost have to let Quincey go, because of the amount of raises guys are due for.

So that is 2 spots. But yeah, even then, we are going to lose some of these prospects. But that was always most likely going to be the case. I really think with these guys waiver exemption running out it is do or die time for Smith. He either proves himself this year or I think they ship him out.

So that leaves 2 or possibly 3 spots for the 4 guys running out of exemption next year. My guess would be 2 spots open up, and they go to XO and Marchenko.

Is it possible for us to waive Kindl and have him in GR? (If no one picks him up?)

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015

Straight dumping off Kindl would be hugely out of character for Holland. The guy literally hates trading off established roster players that he drafted. It's like a painful admission of failure. Holland himself has said he can't find any takers for Kindl, even when MacT was vastly overpaying bottom pairing plugs to put warm bodies on the Oilers blueline. The only way Kindl or Smith will leave is as UFA's.

Besides, Holland would literally have a heart attack leaving two spots on the blueline to two guys that have yet to become NHL regulars. He'd panic sign atleast one UFA veteran.

Holland waived Quincey to keep Chelios and Meech, and he tossed Nestrasil so that Cleary could play 13 more games last season. He'll have no qualms about doing it again with XO and Marchenko.

Is it possible for us to waive Kindl and have him in GR? (If no one picks him up?)

They could, but the Red Wings would face a $1.45M cap penalty if he cleared. I have to think a team needing a Dman wouldn't mind throwing some mid round picks out for him, but I'm guessing Holland thinks he's worth more, or that trading a failed 1st round pick would open him to some criticism since everybody seems to praise the Wings drafting...

Last edited by a moderator:

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Holland himself has said he can't find any takers for Kindl, even when MacT was vastly overpaying bottom pairing plugs to put warm bodies on the Oilers blueline. The only way Kindl or Smith will leave is as UFA's.

Usually bad contracts are tradeable on the last contract year at the trade deadline, when the major part of the real money is already paid. We have seen those cases lately. Lottery team will sell some good player for a contender, but is so near the cap floor that have to take some numbers back.

So if Kindl doesn't resurrect his career suddenly, the first possible time to see him go is at March 2017.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Straight dumping off Kindl would be hugely out of character for Holland. The guy literally hates trading off established roster players that he drafted. It's like a painful admission of failure. Holland himself has said he can't find any takers for Kindl, even when MacT was vastly overpaying bottom pairing plugs to put warm bodies on the Oilers blueline. The only way Kindl or Smith will leave is as UFA's.

Besides, Holland would literally have a heart attack leaving two spots on the blueline to two guys that have yet to become NHL regulars. He'd panic sign atleast one UFA veteran.

Holland waived Quincey to keep Chelios and Meech, and he tossed Nestrasil so that Cleary could play 13 more games last season. He'll have no qualms about doing it again with XO and Marchenko.

Losing 2-3 prospects for nothing would be at least as equally out of character, IMO.

Losing Nestrasil and Quincey is not the norm, but it does happen, albeit rarely. He likes his homegrown guys, which is why you saw Lashoff, Andersson, Emmerton and the like get in a decent amount of games with Detroit despite never really seeming all that impressive.

We will see what happens, it will be interesting to watch. I think there is some truth to what you are saying, but I just have a hard time seeing him lose multiple prospects at once like that. My best guess would be he finds room for XO and March, and then at least 1 of Sproul or Jensen gets taken off waivers, and the other one goes to GR.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
I really hope Larkin gets an extended look this season. It would be a good idea to get him playing with the old guard before they are gone or reduced to limited roles.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida

Hollands not resigning Quincey next summer, Doesn't make any sense to resign him with the kids coming up and looking for spots. Holland and Blashill already are wanting one of the kids to make it out of camp so that possibly leaves Quincey as the most expendable one here. One year left at $4.25 million not to shabby for a team that still has some cap room looking for a half way decent shut down defenceman. Marchenko, Sproul, Ouellet, Jensen are all out of waiver options next year and I seriously doubt that any of them would clear possibly Jensen. But Holland isn't going to risk losing them for nothing so if they don't have a future on the team then I would expects that Holland would try and move them as packages to obtain a upgrade on defence. Bottom line Quincey is gone and I see Kindl being gone as well or maybe even Smith if we trade for Big Buff. Either one of Ouellet/Marchenko and Jensen will be on the team next year I see Sproul being one of the odd man out here.

Last edited:

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Usually, only roster players are on the season tickets (at least the past 3 years).

Could Larkin, a homegrown Michigan boy who played at Michigan be the exception, though?

Either way, this little nod shows he's a centerpiece (literally) to the Wings moving forward.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad