Implementing the roster for the upcoming season

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Babcock's pro's heavily outweighed his con's.

I think Blashill can succeed, but it will obviously be a coaching downgrade in the short to intermediate term. Although the same would be true for any coach the Wings brought in to replace Babcock.

loudernow*

Babcock's pro's heavily outweighed his con's.

I think Blashill can succeed, but it will obviously be a coaching downgrade in the short to intermediate term. Although the same would be true for any coach the Wings brought in to replace Babcock.
Blashills first season as a head coach has been his most successful in the past.
His first in Indy he won the cup. The next 2 they made the playoffs.
His first season in GR he won the cup. Next 2 they made the playoffs.

Actual Thought*

Blashills first season as a head coach has been his most successful in the past.
His first in Indy he won the cup. The next 2 they made the playoffs.
His first season in GR he won the cup. Next 2 they made the playoffs.

That doesn't sound good given that he has already coached most of our roster.

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
If "most" means 4-5 players, than yes, Blashill has coached most of the current Wings roster.

It's more than 4-5 players, especially if you count him being the assistant coach a few years ago. Even if you don't though, off the top of my head:

Smith, Kindl, Sheahan, Tatar, Nyquist, Glendenning, Pulkkinen, Andersson, potentially Marchenko or Ouellet, Mrazek... There's more than 4-5.

evolutionbaby

Jan 7, 2012
Explain how we were a better team than the Ducks that year.

In 12-13 our defense was comprised of Kronwall, Ericsson, Lashoff (played in the playoffs), Colaiacovo, Quincey, Smith, Dekeyser (as a rookie). You're telling me a team with that defense was better than the Ducks? Ok, I don't see that. Not for a second.

And you're looking at it like we choked against Chicago. I look at it like we overachieved to even push them to 7 games. How do you close out a series with that defense?

Maybe we overachieved but a coach/team can't be satisfied with that. We still had them 3-1, doesn't matter if we overachieved to get there. They lost 3 straight games, 2 of which I remember were pretty darn winnable.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Will be interesting to see what the lines look like with Franzen. I imagine the Franzen-Zetterberg-Nyquist line will get a look.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

Will be interesting to see what the lines look like with Franzen. I imagine the Franzen-Zetterberg-Nyquist line will get a look.

I don't know what the better strategy would be with Franzen. Put him on a top line and maybe get him matched up against other skill players who are less likely to run him all game long, or put him on a lower line and try to pick spots better and really turn him loose on the powerplay. I just don't have any faith in him being able to play 17+ hard minutes every game and not end up being helped off the ice at some point.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I don't know what the better strategy would be with Franzen. Put him on a top line and maybe get him matched up against other skill players who are less likely to run him all game long, or put him on a lower line and try to pick spots better and really turn him loose on the powerplay. I just don't have any faith in him being able to play 17+ hard minutes every game and not end up being helped off the ice at some point.

I feel like a Franzen-Sheahan-Pulkkinen 3rd line could be pretty sweet. Or Franzen-Sheahan-Jurco.

That Franzen-Z-Nyquist line has shown some pretty crazy chemistry at times though.

If Franzen is healthy we have some pretty strong depth at wing.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
It's more than 4-5 players, especially if you count him being the assistant coach a few years ago. Even if you don't though, off the top of my head:

Smith, Kindl, Sheahan, Tatar, Nyquist, Glendenning, Pulkkinen, Andersson, potentially Marchenko or Ouellet, Mrazek... There's more than 4-5.

Also Jurco, Ferraro and DeKeyser, who were all involved in the Championship run.

Green and Richards are the only non-coached guys. All others are familiar mostly from our summer camps where they have have lots of cooperation.

Invictus12

Aug 1, 2010
New York

With Datsyuk out, I'd actually like to see Franzen as one of the top 3 centers and keep Z on the wing. Going by Blashill though, sound like Sheahan might be moved to the wing so, it's possible we'll see Z, Richards and Franzen as our top 3 centers???

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
Saw a tweet that said Green has been watching film of Dekeyser to try and study how he plays. Have very little doubt a Green-Dekeyser pairing would be dynamite.

Sadly, wish I could say that for our other 2 pairings. I expect Kronwall-Ericsson and Quincey-Smith to be pretty lackluster.

Kronwall-Smith
DD-Green
Quincey-Big E
XO
Marchenko

It's not rocket science...

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Saw a tweet that said Green has been watching film of Dekeyser to try and study how he plays. Have very little doubt a Green-Dekeyser pairing would be dynamite.

Sadly, wish I could say that for our other 2 pairings. I expect Kronwall-Ericsson and Quincey-Smith to be pretty lackluster.

Seriously? That is some serious praise for DK if true.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Kronwall-Smith
DD-Green
Quincey-Big E
XO
Marchenko

It's not rocket science...
Well considering Smith has never even been a fixture on a 2nd pairing there's no guarantees he wouldn't completely crap the bed on a 1st pairing (though the pairing did look good in that one playoff series). Definitely hoping Smith comes to camp looking like a new player and starts earning more icetime. New coach, no more excuses.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Seriously? That is some serious praise for DK if true.

I don't think it was for the purpose of taking pointers, Doc. I think it was so he could study how Dekeyser plays so he is able to be a better partner for him. Though truthfully, he could probably learn a thing or two from Danny in his own end :laugh:

But I like the commitment it shows, nonetheless.

Here is the tweet,

Last edited:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Well considering Smith has never even been a fixture on a 2nd pairing there's no guarantees he wouldn't completely crap the bed on a 1st pairing (though the pairing did look good in that one playoff series). Definitely hoping Smith comes to camp looking like a new player and starts earning more icetime. New coach, no more excuses.

When Ericsson was injured down the stretch 2 years ago, Smith actually held that role for a decent amount of time and looked good. It wasn't just the Boston series he showed some competence there.

Agree with Vladdy, those pairs should be considered, but it sounds like Ericsson has the inside track unfortunately.

I think a Quincey-Smith pairing will implode though, it's just a matter of when. And then I expect the pairs to be shuffled.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
When Ericsson was injured down the stretch 2 years ago, Smith actually held that role for a decent amount of time and looked good. It wasn't just the Boston series he showed some competence there.

Agree with Vladdy, those pairs should be considered, but it sounds like Ericsson has the inside track unfortunately.

I think a Quincey-Smith pairing will implode though, it's just a matter of when. And then I expect the pairs to be shuffled.
That's true and I agree it should be tried. Would like to see it in pre-season. But even if Smith ends up with Quincey I think he has to handle it.
How many legit top-pairing d-men would ever implode on a 3rd pairing? Ericsson struggled early on last year and was moved to the 3rd pairing, where he looked great and was swiftly moved back up the top pair. Obviously, Ericsson's perfect place is probably on the 2nd pairing, but that's beside the point. Until Smith actually plays like a guy that is too good for a 3rd pairing, why should he get the chance on the top pairing?

Invictus12

Aug 1, 2010
New York

Don't remember this ever being the case but, did Ericsson ever played with Kindl???

Based on Blashill's comments in the past, it sounds like he wants Kindl in the lineup... Perhaps that would be the pairing???

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
That's true and I agree it should be tried. Would like to see it in pre-season. But even if Smith ends up with Quincey I think he has to handle it.
How many legit top-pairing d-men would ever implode on a 3rd pairing? Ericsson struggled early on last year and was moved to the 3rd pairing, where he looked great and was swiftly moved back up the top pair. Obviously, Ericsson's perfect place is probably on the 2nd pairing, but that's beside the point. Until Smith actually plays like a guy that is too good for a 3rd pairing, why should he get the chance on the top pairing?

I get what you're saying.

I just think for whatever reason, they don't mix well. I think both are more than able to handle 3rd pairing duties on their own, but together they just are a hot mess. They can't anticipate each other or support each other at all. But maybe Blashill allows Smith to play a little differently, and then their roles are more defined, and then it works???

I don't know. I just know I have seen some absolutely brutal stuff from those two. I am not trying to blame Quincey for it, either. Like I said, they just haven't mixed well for whatever reason.

I hope we try out some different combo's.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Don't remember this ever being the case but, did Ericsson ever played with Kindl???

Based on Blashill's comments in the past, it sounds like he wants Kindl in the lineup... Perhaps that would be the pairing???

Blashill maybe wants Kindl in the lineup, giving him a real chance rebound mentally (if his long slum happened because Babcock's treatment..). That would restore his trade value back on track, and then... Kenny trades him out from the way of Marchenko/Ouellet. We don't really need that guy, but have to use him, if we ever want to see a trade.

So far he's the 7th.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden

I think he said something along the lines of liking Kindl's potential and wanting to give him a chance. And he's probably being diplomatic, wouldn't want to burn bridges before the season even starts. Can't imagine Kindl will be in the lineup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad