News Article: Impaired driving allegation: Former Canucks forward Bertuzzi charged after arrest in Michigan

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
as per the former canucks thread discussion about this:

2004 — tampa bay lightning are the cup champions

2021 — tampa bay lightning are the defending cup champions

2004 — darryl sutter coaching the flames

2021 — darryl sutter coaching the flames

2004 — tom brady wins super bowl

2021 — tom brady wins super bowl

2004 — bertuzzi suspended, charged with assault

2021 — bertuzzi's driver's license suspended, charged with impaired driving

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Like Big Todd. Named a farm truck after him. Hate hearing he was driving impaired. Really stupid move by him. Hopefully he gets a serious ass kicking punishment, that forces him to change such dangerous behaviour.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I hope Bertuzzi is ok. He's been dealing with mental illness and I hope he gets the help he needs.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
nothing in this says how serious his drinking was. Big difference between having a couple of beer and being borderline, and being plastered and mowing down a bunch of kids in a school zone. Always liked Bertuzzi, and thought he got about as raw a deal as he could have in the whole moore thing.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
"The toxicology results from the Michigan State Police lab showed Mr. Bertuzzi's blood alcohol content was .25 per cent," the Auburn Hills Police Department said.

That's pretty high but I'll wait and see if he's actually found guilty before judging him any further.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
nothing in this says how serious his drinking was. Big difference between having a couple of beer and being borderline, and being plastered and mowing down a bunch of kids in a school zone. Always liked Bertuzzi, and thought he got about as raw a deal as he could have in the whole moore thing.

"The toxicology results from the Michigan State Police lab showed Mr. Bertuzzi's blood alcohol content was .25 per cent."

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
nothing in this says how serious his drinking was. Big difference between having a couple of beer and being borderline, and being plastered and mowing down a bunch of kids in a school zone.

according to the article, he blew .25, which if accurate is pretty darn drunk. okay, he didn't literally blow but you know what i mean.

now i usually take what cops say with a grain of salt but

The AHPD says his arrest followed a report that a vehicle was "swerving all over the road" in the northbound lanes of Interstate 75, north of M-95.

Officers alleged the driver stopped at a flashing yellow light, then later "disregarded a solid red light" at another intersection.

"Mr. Bertuzzi failed roadside field sobriety evaluations and was subsequently arrested for operating while intoxicated," officers said.​

and that number might even be lower than it could have been, if this next part is accurate:

It is alleged that Bertuzzi then refused a breathalyzer when taken to the police station.

Officers said they obtained a search warrant for a blood test, and he was kept in jail for 12 hours, pending results of the test.
as far as the validity of all this goes, being that bertuzzi is a white ex-hockey player in one of detroit's white flight suburbs, i'm much more inclined to take this at face value than if it was, say, thabo sefolosha getting arrested outside a club in manhattan.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
according to the article, he blew .25, which if accurate is pretty darn drunk. okay, he didn't literally blow but you know what i mean.

now i usually take what cops say with a grain of salt but

The AHPD says his arrest followed a report that a vehicle was "swerving all over the road" in the northbound lanes of Interstate 75, north of M-95.

Officers alleged the driver stopped at a flashing yellow light, then later "disregarded a solid red light" at another intersection.

"Mr. Bertuzzi failed roadside field sobriety evaluations and was subsequently arrested for operating while intoxicated," officers said.​

and that number might even be lower than it could have been, if this next part is accurate:

It is alleged that Bertuzzi then refused a breathalyzer when taken to the police station.

Officers said they obtained a search warrant for a blood test, and he was kept in jail for 12 hours, pending results of the test.
as far as the validity of all this goes, being that bertuzzi is a white ex-hockey player in one of detroit's white flight suburbs, i'm much more inclined to take this at face value than if it was, say, thabo sefolosha getting arrested outside a club in manhattan.
Being a white person is a big deal down there, isn’t it.

Reactions: ChilliBilly

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
as per the former canucks thread discussion about this:

2004 — tampa bay lightning are the cup champions

2021 — tampa bay lightning are the defending cup champions

2004 — darryl sutter coaching the flames

2021 — darryl sutter coaching the flames

2004 — tom brady wins super bowl

2021 — tom brady wins super bowl

2004 — bertuzzi suspended, charged with assault

2021 — bertuzzi's driver's license suspended, charged with impaired driving

images

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
"The toxicology results from the Michigan State Police lab showed Mr. Bertuzzi's blood alcohol content was .25 per cent."

Ah well, you know, that's only over three times the legal limit and besides Todd made a mistake. And no, nobody in Van wants to talk about this; Todd's cult hate being reminded of what a piece of dung their hero is. Now if it were Moore who was busted driving three times over the limit, you can bet there would be much discussion of it in Van...

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Man he was shit-faced.

I was curious, in Michigan:

If BAC is .17 or higher and this is a first offense:
  • Up to $700 fine
  • Up to 180 days in jail
  • Up to 360 hours of community service
  • Up to one year license suspension
  • 6 points on a driver's license
  • Mandatory completion of an alcohol treatment program
  • Ignition interlock use and compliance after 45 days license suspension is required to receive a restricted driver's license. Convicted drunk drivers have limited driving privileges, are prohibited from operating a vehicle without an approved and properly installed ignition interlock device, and are responsible for all installation and upkeep costs for the device.
Anyone who refuses a breath test the first time is given an automatic one-year driver's license suspension. For a second refusal within seven years, the suspension is two years.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
Man he was shit-faced.

I was curious, in Michigan:

If BAC is .17 or higher and this is a first offense:
  • Up to $700 fine
  • Up to 180 days in jail
  • Up to 360 hours of community service
  • Up to one year license suspension
  • 6 points on a driver's license
  • Mandatory completion of an alcohol treatment program
  • Ignition interlock use and compliance after 45 days license suspension is required to receive a restricted driver's license. Convicted drunk drivers have limited driving privileges, are prohibited from operating a vehicle without an approved and properly installed ignition interlock device, and are responsible for all installation and upkeep costs for the device.
Anyone who refuses a breath test the first time is given an automatic one-year driver's license suspension. For a second refusal within seven years, the suspension is two years.

As I figured you are WRONG; drunk driving in Michigan is anything over .08, just like everywhere else I know of. Unless there are levels of drunk driving and .17 is a level up (which it certainly should be). Over THREE TIMES the legal limit, hell IIRC .4 is DEAD! Question: Is Bert a U.S. citizen?

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
As I figured you are WRONG; drunk driving in Michigan is anything over .08, just like everywhere else I know of. Unless there are levels of drunk driving and .17 is a level up (which it certainly should be). Over THREE TIMES the legal limit, hell IIRC .4 is DEAD! Question: Is Bert a U.S. citizen?

Dude, I literally took it from a Michigan.gov page about drunk driving laws. Yeah anything over .08 is impaired but they have a special high-BAC section for if you were over .17, which Bertuzzi was, and I shared that.

MSP - Impaired Driving Law

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
Dude, I literally took it from a Michigan.gov page about drunk driving laws. Yeah anything over .08 is impaired but they have a special high-BAC section for if you were over .17, which Bertuzzi was, and I shared that.

MSP - Impaired Driving Law

Yes, sorry mis-read your post. And there my commenting on this thread shall end; looks like the mods here are big Bert fans. Sadly I'm not...

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

You know in Vancouver, if your blood alcohol is over .08 you most likely just get an immediate road side suspension meaning you aren't charged with a crime.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
You know in Vancouver, if your blood alcohol is over .08 you most likely just get an immediate road side suspension meaning you aren't charged with a crime.

i'm just assuming here but it's not just that he was driving drunk and got pulled over at a road check. he apparently "swerved all over the road" on a highway and later ran a red.

i wonder if him breaking other traffic laws also goes into him being charged.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
i'm just assuming here but it's not just that he was driving drunk and got pulled over at a road check. he apparently "swerved all over the road" on a highway and later ran a red.

i wonder if him breaking other traffic laws also goes into him being charged.

They can charge him for reckless driving. That would be a pretty standard charge. It's not a crime per se to swerve all over the road and run a red light but I know nothing about Michigan State law.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad