Speculation: Impact of potential expansion draft

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
Wouldn't the salary cap jump up a bit if two teams expanded into the league in the same season, especially if the expansion fee is $250 million or something like that? We're talking about a $500 million jump in the NHLs bottom line.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Wouldn't the salary cap jump up a bit if two teams expanded into the league in the same season, especially if the expansion fee is $250 million or something like that? We're talking about a $500 million jump in the NHLs bottom line.

Expansion fees are exempted from the Hockey Related Revenue that determines the salary cap.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden

Expansionf ees are exempt, but what does it really come down to? If the new team's HRR is higher than the league avg HRR? I am tired right now lol, I can't figure it out... But something like that. Any new team will make the HRR higher, but since the cap will make out 50% of HRR / 30+1 instead of divded with 30, I recon that the HRR must be higher than the avg team's HRR for it make the cap higher but I am not sure.

The short answer is this, put a team in Qubeck or Ontario and the cap goes up, put it in Las Vegas or Settle and the cap will go down...

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
Why 4? 2 makes sense to balance the conferences. A relocation of the Florida teams to canada also makes sense.

Don't need more hockey in the desert

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Why 4? 2 makes sense to balance the conferences. A relocation of the Florida teams to canada also makes sense.

Don't need more hockey in the desert

If you put one team in the east and three in the west, the conferences are balanced. If Toronto 2 is really where they land, don't be surprised if it's a Western Conference team. That is, if the league really cares about conference balance, which I suspect they don't.

NewLife

Apr 29, 2011
Oslo
Four new teams will not happen, it can't coz it's just too many. Those new teams will most likely sucks for years, what can you possible get if you create four team from drops of talent and FA signings?

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
How the hypothetical expansion draft would play out if it happened today. Interesting article.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nhl/sto...ock-draft-rules-las-vegas-team-seattle-hockey

That Seattle team is awful. Didn't realize there had to be two players from each NHL team selected either. Guess it's to prevent from some teams losing more talent than others. They had the Rangers losing Klein and Lombardi. Klein and Talbot were the only real notable unprotections to me and those would be expected anyway with the only debate being J. Moore or Klein.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
How the hypothetical expansion draft would play out if it happened today. Interesting article.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nhl/sto...ock-draft-rules-las-vegas-team-seattle-hockey

That Seattle team is awful. Didn't realize there had to be two players from each NHL team selected either. Guess it's to prevent from some teams losing more talent than others. They had the Rangers losing Klein and Lombardi. Klein and Talbot were the only real notable unprotections to me and those would be expected anyway with the only debate being J. Moore or Klein.

That's really interesting. LOL to their Oiler hate! :laugh::laugh:

NYRCSKA*

I think Seattle is the most logical choice for a team. It's an instant heated rivalry with Vancouver, and the city has a lot of money. I think even Portland could handle a team. That's an automatic heated rivalry between 3 very close cities that already have that regional rivalry to begin with. It would be great for the West if the 2 added teams were Seattle and Portland. Instant rivalry.
Vegas is a head scratcher. It doesn't make any sense much like Phoenix doesn't make any sense. But Bettman is an idiot so idiotic decisions are to be expected from his office.
Toronto part 2 doesn't make sense either. They may as well put a team in Hamilton as opposed to a second Toronto team. Halifax and Hamilton deserve a team before Toronto gets a second one.

I think Florida could be a good team if they had a better arena (AKA moving to American Airlines Arena in Miami instead of playing between Ft Lauderdale and Miami) and an owner who was willing to spend money. Tampa Bay is always decent and has really good turnout and fan support.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Yeah, Bettman is so stupid that the league is making more money than ever, NHL teams are worth more money than ever, and the sport is growing faster than ever before under his watch. What a moron.

NYRCSKA*

Yeah, Bettman is so stupid that the league is making more money than ever, NHL teams are worth more money than ever, and the sport is growing faster than ever before under his watch. What a moron.

Them and every other of the big 4 North American sports leagues. That's because of the fans, not Bettman. These commissioners are selling a product that will always have customers. The fans have a deep seeded loyalty to their teams, not the league, and thus spend money on the teams. They are essentially selling water, there will always be a demand for hockey. They have no competition. It's not exactly due to some amazing leadership up in the NHL. It's because of people like me who collect massive amounts of jerseys and go to games... We would do that no matter who was commissioner. In fact, I was so mad that the last lockout happened that I almost took my money elsewhere. Not that that would have changed anything, but imagine how much bigger the NHL would be without the second lockout. Bettman and the owners are responsible for losing major broadcast deals that have cost the league a lot of money in long term revenue. The league's value would arguably be 25% more if they had played hockey in 2004-2005.

3 lockouts on Bettman's watch. An expansion that failed in Atlanta and had to be relocated, and one failed experiment in Phoenix that he refuses to give up on. The guy is an idiot.

Last edited by a moderator:

NYRCSKA*

Y?

That wouldn't be the worst thing ever.

Think of what could be done with his $... oh forget it. Sather is still the GM.

I take it back.

We'd sign 39 year old Joe Thornton to a 10 year $70 million contract.... :sarcasm:

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Them and every other of the big 4 North American sports leagues. That's because of the fans, not Bettman. These commissioners are selling a product that will always have customers. The fans have a deep seeded loyalty to their teams, not the league, and thus spend money on the teams. They are essentially selling water, there will always be a demand for hockey. They have no competition. It's not exactly due to some amazing leadership up in the NHL. It's because of people like me who collect massive amounts of jerseys and go to games... We would do that no matter who was commissioner. In fact, I was so mad that the last lockout happened that I almost took my money elsewhere. Not that that would have changed anything, but imagine how much bigger the NHL would be without the second lockout. Bettman and the owners are responsible for losing major broadcast deals that have cost the league a lot of money in long term revenue. The league's value would arguably be 25% more if they had played hockey in 2004-2005.

3 lockouts on Bettman's watch. An expansion that failed in Atlanta and had to be relocated, and one failed experiment in Phoenix that he refuses to give up on. The guy is an idiot.

Your estimate of 25% more is a little weird. The league has seen enormous growth since the 2004 lockout. There was more revenue in 2005-06 ($2.27B) than there was in 2003-04 ($2.21B), so it's not because the league took a big hit from the lockout and was starting from a low point. It just set the league back by a year, which means they might be worth maybe 5% more. The revenue growth in that time period outpaces any of the other 3 leagues (33% growth in 10 seasons).

The expansion in Atlanta failed due to no fault of Bettmans. The Phoenix situation has been about power, and he's accomplished what he wanted to. Calling him an idiot is ridiculous. Then again, you claim Phoenix doesn't make sense, even if it's the 12th largest TV market in the US. I do hate the lockouts, though.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Y?

That wouldn't be the worst thing ever.

Think of what could be done with his $... oh forget it. Sather is still the GM.

I take it back.

Other than Nash is still a great player albeit slightly overpaid, why are we giving him up for nothing?

NYRCSKA*

Your estimate of 25% more is a little weird. The league has seen enormous growth since the 2004 lockout. There was more revenue in 2005-06 ($2.27B) than there was in 2003-04 ($2.21B), so it's not because the league took a big hit from the lockout and was starting from a low point. It just set the league back by a year, which means they might be worth maybe 5% more. The revenue growth in that time period outpaces any of the other 3 leagues (33% growth in 10 seasons).

The expansion in Atlanta failed due to no fault of Bettmans. The Phoenix situation has been about power, and he's accomplished what he wanted to. Calling him an idiot is ridiculous. Then again, you claim Phoenix doesn't make sense, even if it's the 12th largest TV market in the US. I do hate the lockouts, though.

Imagine the revenue generated if ESPN still carried hockey. Hockey took a huge hit in the south due to the lockout. A huge hit. Anyone who went to a Stars or Predators game pre and post lockout knows what I'm talking about.
The NHL would be making a lot more money if ESPN still carried them.

NYRCSKA*

Other than Nash is still a great player albeit slightly overpaid, why are we giving him up for nothing?

because he's not a good player for what he's paid and therefor is not worth anything substantial on the market. The free cap relief is worth it.

I've never thought much of Nash though so I'm biased. I would rather him not be on the Rangers by any means necessary than have him on the roster. I hope he makes me eat crow, but I know he won't. He's lazy. Enough said.

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest

I moved down to Atlanta the year the Thrashers relocated (November of the Jets first season). So disappointed, I was looking forward to cheap tickets when the Rangers came to town. :cry:

However, from what I know of the situation, the failure was in ownership, not that hockey can't work down here. Nobody is going to get invested in a team that makes the playoffs once in 15 years, and gets swept when they do. Build a winner, and people in this city would support them. The NHL is never coming back, though, and that's a shame.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Imagine the revenue generated if ESPN still carried hockey. Hockey took a huge hit in the south due to the lockout. A huge hit. Anyone who went to a Stars or Predators game pre and post lockout knows what I'm talking about.
The NHL would be making a lot more money if ESPN still carried them.

Which is why ESPN has offered less money on a US hockey package than Vs/NBC has both times there have been negotiations since 2004. Yours is a claim without factual basis. And that's fine. Believe what you want.

The Predators are closer to in the black now than they ever were before the 04 lockout. A dedication to growing their brand was what was required and previous ownership was unwilling. And while I don't know what it was like in that arena pre-2004 or 2005-2009, I strongly doubt that it was stronger than it has been for the past 5 years. I went to more than a dozen games a year when I lived there and still go at least once every year since I've been in Charlotte.

As for Dallas, I don't think the lockout hurt them so much as the fact that the team stopped being good for a while.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Of all the Southern examples, you use Dallas and Nashville? Nashville in my opinion is doing a great job at growing their brand, one of the best examples of hockey in the South.

No surprise the Stars attendance took a hit, they went from being one of the strongest teams in the league, to missing the playoffs 5 times in a row.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad