OT: IMFC - Tousse Pour Gagner Edition

Fans at the Saputo Stadium?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
You mean to tell me that Urruti running a 10K marathon each game and missing golden opportunities doesn't give you enough joy?
That is always good for dark comedy.

Destouches brings up an interesting point here. If IMFC is going to be developing players for Bologna, it won't be beneficial to IMFC because they're not selling the asset.

We are obviously Bologna's farm club, many saw it as soon as they announced the new structure.

1) No real importance given to the IMFC academy
2) Bologna opens up a market of young players like Binks who want more playing time at a higher level, with the possibility of moving onto serie A. Without Bologna, no Binks, no Lassi, No Orgy, probably no Kissa.
3) Saputo wants to make money, regardless of the results on the pitch. Gilmore, Renard and Henry were hired to make Saputo money first and foremost. The Impact has entered the football economy game first and foremost.

On a business standpoint, makes total sense and is the right move. On the sports side, very tough to build an organizational identity and create a link with the fans. Unless they bring in big time DPs, the team will feel like Bologna fc 2 and I'm not sure that will sit well with a chunk of the fan base, specially if the team continues to suck.

Curious to see how things pan out in the next few years.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
Let's face it, IMFC will never make money out of talented young players, Saputo will always transfer them to Bologna.

I'm tired of this. Binks was the lone bright spot on this **** team.

Last edited:

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Official:

Only playing against Whitecaps and TFC.

No word on if they will allow fans in the stands. Last night, in Dallas, there were fans in the stands for the FC Dallas vs. Nashville game.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
The games between the three Canadian teams will also have a bearing on the Canadian Championship.

Their games will not only have a bearing on the MLS regular season, but they will also be like a mini-group stage. And the team that has the most points, advances to the Voyager's Cup Final.

Meanwhile, the winner of CanPL's Island Games will move on to the Voyager's Cup Final.

So this year, the final will be an MLS team vs. a CanPL team. The winner will go to the CONCACAF Champisons League.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
That is always good for dark comedy.

We are obviously Bologna's farm club, many saw it as soon as they announced the new structure.

1) No real importance given to the IMFC academy
2) Bologna opens up a market of young players like Binks who want more playing time at a higher level, with the possibility of moving onto serie A. Without Bologna, no Binks, no Lassi, No Orgy, probably no Kissa.
3) Saputo wants to make money, regardless of the results on the pitch. Gilmore, Renard and Henry were hired to make Saputo money first and foremost. The Impact has entered the football economy game first and foremost.

On a business standpoint, makes total sense and is the right move. On the sports side, very tough to build an organizational identity and create a link with the fans. Unless they bring in big time DPs, the team will feel like Bologna fc 2 and I'm not sure that will sit well with a chunk of the fan base, specially if the team continues to suck.

Curious to see how things pan out in the next few years.

Producing good local players would be the logical way to still keep an identity and some brand recognition while acting as a feeder for Bologna . Too bad this organization seem to think putting a good development program together is a waste of money they could be giving to underperforming DPs instead...

JunglePete

Jul 21, 2012
Let's face it, IMFC will never make money out of talented young players, Saputo will always transfer them to Bologna.

I'm tired of this. Binks was the lone bright spot on this **** team.

Bad short term move, Binks could have been starting here for this season and the next one to then get sold for millions of dollars to a bottom PL/Bundesliga team (MLS only keeps 5-10%). With him moving to Bologna possibly in January to more than likely be 3rd-4th string cb or possibly be loaned out to a Serie B team will affect his value big time.

Bologna are FAR from being a known development club, looking at their squad they tend to buy players past their prime and milk them. I know they bought a top prospect CM out of Argentina, we'll see how it turns out but Saputo has to stop treating Impact as Bologna B. The gap is thin.

JunglePete

Jul 21, 2012
Producing good local players would be the logical way to still keep an identity and some brand recognition while acting as a feeder for Bologna . Too bad this organization seem to think putting a good development program together is a waste of money they could be giving to underperforming DPs instead...

they don't have to be local... NYRB sold Both Lawrence and Murillo to Anderlecht last winter and they played in Central American leagues before MLS. See they didn't sell them to RB Salzburg or RB Leipzig, no reason why we should sell our best prospects to Bologna. I know Binks is only one but considering the history between both teams, doesn't feel postiive.

I don't care whether they're sold from Montreal or Bologna I make no dime from it but Saputo needs to realizet this kind of move can destroy a player's career which translates to a player's value.

JunglePete

Jul 21, 2012
On the topic of young MLS talents, Angelino assisted Tyler Adams' GWG against Atletico earlier to beat them 2-1. Tomorrow is Bayern - Barcelona. That makes 3 players who made their blueprint in MLS.

Now I see no one talked about David moving from Belgium to Farmer league Conforama. Everyone disappointed, what a horrible move :laugh:

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
The only way I can see it work for the Impact is that Saputo might be keeping more money if Bologna sells Binks than if Impact sell Binks. The league touches part of the fee of a player sale I believe. Also, teams can only reinvest so much in players. They have to invest a good chunk of the fee received in their academy.

Saputo's intention is to reinvest part of the eventual Bologna profit on a Binks sale on the Impact, at least according to Destouches.

La stratégie derrière le transfert surprise de Luis Binks - TVA Sports

Destouches suggests Binks is likely to stay until June 2021 (or until the season is over in Europe), as the squad is already built in Bologna. If he leaves, Saputo will probably compensate the Impact (no idea how or if it's going to be another Boldor).

''
Car, toujours selon les mêmes sources, si l’aventure bolognaise tourne bien pour l’Anglais et qu’un transfert ailleurs est signé ultérieurement, Saputo réaffectera une partie de l’argent sur le budget transferts de l’Impact. Ce n’est pas un pourcentage à la revente à proprement parler, mais le principe est grosso modo le même.''

Petit détail intéressant : lors de la vente d’un joueur de MLS, le club vendeur ne peut utiliser qu’un maximum d’un million de dollars sur l’argent du transfert – en argent d’allocation général (GAM) – pour améliorer le club. Lorsqu’il s’agit d’un transfert vers un club sœur, cette règle ne tient même plus vraiment, afin d’éviter les petits arrangements.
Le but ultime de l’Impact, dans cette opération, est davantage de toucher un pactole sur un transfert ultérieur de Binks, qui pourrait alors être réutilisé pour l’acquisition de joueurs désignés.

In a way, selling to Bologna before selling to another team is to circumvent the fee getting picked up by the MLS and having to invest money in the academy.

Saputo keeps more money, invests some of it in both teams and all is well.

Who knows how it will turn out. It sucks to get a gem stolen like that for probably pennies, but in the long term the Impact might get their change back...

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
they don't have to be local... NYRB sold Both Lawrence and Murillo to Anderlecht last winter and they played in Central American leagues before MLS. See they didn't sell them to RB Salzburg or RB Leipzig, no reason why we should sell our best prospects to Bologna. I know Binks is only one but considering the history between both teams, doesn't feel postiive.

I don't care whether they're sold from Montreal or Bologna I make no dime from it but Saputo needs to realizet this kind of move can destroy a player's career which translates to a player's value.

If Binks succeeds in Italy, he will surely garner more money than playing the MLS. Bigger showcase.

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
If the cards are played right, this can be a win-win for everyone

On another note, is anyone else getting dizzy with all these expansion teams? There will be 30 confirmed by 2023 and 6 more candidates on the way (at least 2 very serious ones)

It feels like too much. Garber is trying to paint the US Map as much as he can for the next TV deal ($$$$$$). Current owners are profiting from expansion fees while waiting for the new TV deal. At least spending is still controled, which is what killed NASL. Soon the league will turn into a two division. That merger with the Liga MX would make it what, a 80 team league? That's wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too many.

Rumcajs

Jul 25, 2010
Ottawa
Figured Binks would head out in short order, it was a very Auston Mathews move for him to be here briefly anyways.

This is why I follow the CPL, no expectations or letdowns, just League 2 Football.

JunglePete

Jul 21, 2012
If Binks succeeds in Italy, he will surely garner more money than playing the MLS. Bigger showcase.

Not in Bologna. He will just be another CB over there. No prospects in Bologna ends up in a powerhouse club. Even this joke of a club made business with Barcelona before them. Clubs track more MLS than Bologna. especially those with an European passport. cough cough Miazga.

Saputo did this just to avoid giving a mere 5 percent to the league.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
On another note, is anyone else getting dizzy with all these expansion teams? There will be 30 confirmed by 2023 and 6 more candidates on the way (at least 2 very serious ones)
It does feel like they're going way too fast with all the new teams a la NASL, USFL,etc. The quick buck is nice and all but there could be a few bad surprises with new owners not having nearly as much money as they said they did. Plus, is the talent pool big enough to support all that ? The MLS is fairly attractive and all but there are still several more prestigious options out there for the players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad