Blue Jays Discussion: I'm Tired of the Waiting Game... Let's Play Hungry-Hungry-Hippos!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
Valencia won his arbitration case. 1.675 million.

Good for him. He's a real good bench player, and a viable platoon bat (career wOBA of .377 vs. LHP). Trouble is, he's rendered redundant by the presence of Navarro.

He won't he playing third against lefties (Donaldson), or first (EE) since Navarro would be DHing from his strong batting side. He's got 32 innings in the majors as a 2B, and has never played the outfield.

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
Good for him. He's a real good bench player, and a viable platoon bat (career wOBA of .377 vs. LHP). Trouble is, he's rendered redundant by the presence of Navarro.

He won't he playing third against lefties (Donaldson), or first (EE) since Navarro would be DHing from his strong batting side. He's got 32 innings in the majors as a 2B, and has never played the outfield.

This is true but maybe he becomes a temporary platoon at 2B over Tolleson if things really become a disaster in ST

Valencia is also a very good option to give a guy a day off here and there, which is probably very wise. The fact that he has positional flexibility at 3rd/1st/2nd hes a very good option to give Donaldson, EE and Martin (Navarro at C) days off vs lefties. No you'll never choose him vs lefties over any of those guys but he's your primary backup at those spots vs lhp... Which is something Smoak can't do

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
Just thinking out loud...in a beautiful world:

1. Sign Shields. 4 years, $65M (12.5, 19, 19, 14.5)
2. Trade Dickey + Thole to the Padres for Brandon Mauer and Casey Kelly
3. Trade Dioner to Arizona for Ziegler

Sigh, if only it were so easy.

mcleex

Fire Parros
Jul 3, 2009
So is this team supposed to be "good" again next year or what?

Don't really follow baseball

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
This is true but maybe he becomes a temporary platoon at 2B with Tolleson if things really become a disaster in ST

Valencia is also a very good option to give a guy a day off here and there, which is probably very wise. The fact that he has positional flexibility at 3rd/1st/2nd hes a very good option to give Donaldson, EE and Martin (Navarro at C) days off vs lefties. No you'll never choose him vs lefties over any of those guys but he's your primary backup at those spots vs lhp... Which is something Smoak can't do

Wouldn't see him platoon with Tolleson since they're both strong vs. LHP and useless vs. RHP. Also, Danny can't really play second. I agree though, he's valuable. It's Dioner that needs to be moved.

Also, only trouble with giving any of those three off vs. Lefties is that they all kill lefties. They should be playing against LHP as often as possible.

Last edited:

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
Wouldn't see him platoon with Tolleson since they're both strong vs. LHP and useless vs. RHP. Also, Danny can't really play second. I agree though, he's valuable. It's Dioner that needs to be moved.

This guy gets it. There is no upside in keeping Navarro and his bloated bench salary around.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
The Blue Jays have signed an agreement with the University of Guelph to provide research on bringing natural grass to Rogers Centre in time for the 2018 season.

President Paul Beeston made the announcement at an event for season-ticket holders Thursday night.

''It's a formal agreement, and it's pretty exciting from our point of view because we've had many discussions, but now it's to the point where we're actually going forward,'' Beeston told reporters after the event. ''We're looking forward to the report, which should take probably a year, and then we'll go from there.''

Pretty much expected. They just installed a new type of turf which should be good for atleast 2 seasons and the Argo lease ends in 2017. Wheels are turning.

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
This guy gets it. There is no upside in keeping Navarro and his bloated bench salary around.

I quietly wonder what it would cost to get Carlos Quentin from the Padres

He's effectively #4 on the depth chart behind Kemp/Upton/Myers

Picking up his bat to DH and protect you against injury/pompey disaster/give Bats DH abs might not be a bad thing.

They may have a desire for Dioner, switch hitting bat and they can move Norris out from behind the plate. Maybe becomes more appealing if they land Shields, familiar with Navarr from Tampa days

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005

Team can walk away, NO?

TF97

Jul 4, 2010
Halifax, NS
Pretty bizarre how Perez was mentioned by name and now all of a sudden the Jays signed him to a minor league deal.

Maybe it's like Beetlejuice where if you say his name three times he appears (becomes a Blue Jay) so I'll start it off... James Shields.

It's kind of like how my Oakland Donaldson jersey (big A's fan as I grew up one) showed up 2 days before he was traded to the Blue Jays :laugh:

Jamie Thomas

Apr 4, 2003

Not the only thing bloated with that guy. I really wish they had a found a taker.

And it seems they are mostly done with the bullpen. This is disappointing since AA said it was one of his priorities for the offseason. Absolutely nothing has been done there. I know bullpen are volatile but I don't believe that just going with what they have is going to cut iit.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Not the only thing bloated with that guy. I really wish they had a found a taker.

And it seems they are mostly done with the bullpen. This is disappointing since AA said it was one of his priorities for the offseason. Absolutely nothing has been done there. I know bullpen are volatile but I don't believe that just going with what they have is going to cut iit.

He's still saying it's top priority and he's continually working to upgrade the depth in the bullpen. He said that he doesn't expect to add a second baseman, but he's still looking for pitching.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
So according to mlbtr shields is likely headed to the padres but were on te periphery apparently. I'd put it at a .1% chance were actually close on this one

Bob Barker

Jun 2, 2008
Maybe it's like Beetlejuice where if you say his name three times he appears (becomes a Blue Jay) so I'll start it off... James Shields.

It's kind of like how my Oakland Donaldson jersey (big A's fan as I grew up one) showed up 2 days before he was traded to the Blue Jays :laugh:

Buy a Trout jersey. Worth a shot, right?

TF97

Jul 4, 2010
Halifax, NS
Badenhop to the Reds... damn I was really hoping we would sign him. The Reds also signed the greatest closer in Blue Jays history... Kevin Gregg :sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad