Post-Game Talk: I'm not naming my son Ryan

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Yes. This will prove to be an issue that persists.

Broberg was a luxury pick given the other needs of the team.

Team is loaded at defense prospects. There is no room for all of them. Woefully thin at forward.

Prior to the 2019 draft, this was the depth chart for rookies:

Top D prospects not on roster

Bouchard
Samorukov
Jones
Lagesson
Bear

Top Forward prospects
Benson
Yamomoto
McLead
Marody

Adding Broberg was nice, but not a need. Zegras would make that forward group look alot better.

Well, given the history of Edmonton, defensive quality has been a problem in over a decade, giving headache. While finally with Chiarelli drafting good D, and stockpiling them, Holland probably was sure Broberg is a hit, and giving a surefire defense for years to come, wich is good, no one knows what happens, players decline, get injured, want a trade. Whatever. For some reason, forwards the three latest years seems to just loose the inner power at december. It just falls like a house of cards.

While I was out and jogging in the dark swedish night, I really wonder if it is the early coming, and long days of darkness that drowns the energy out of the player in December? The teams in south has an advantage with more longer light days, and more energy.

The top forward prospects in Edmonton looked nice for a year ago. After the preseason, it looks a lot weaker. The only prospect I feel a bit excited for here is McLeod. Yamamoto was a strange pick to begin with, a small forward with the skillset that often results in "junior superstar that fails with the next jump". I think he will end up as the steady 3RW on Oilers, or traded. Benson, I hope he just has a downyear,
Marody, ... yikes.

Soon going into the critical part of the season, I see the oilers as (with a little cynic twist .. sorry for that).Bolded as the backbone in each line, that is ment to build around.
Draisaitl. Mc D Kassian
- proven line
Whatever of the crap that is left that has played OK lately- Nuge - Neal . and the duo aint doing it even
Nygård Haas "Whoever of the crap that is lucky to get the trust"
And rounding out with the
"barley NHL players that just can play defense, hopefully can PK, and should play as low miniutes as possible"
I don care who, but it will be Khaira cause he PKs with Nuge - Cave(!) - some crappy player that is left.

Jurco - He just doesnt get Tippets trust, so I cant write him into the lineup, but I would like to.

The rest is just nothing, players that dont making an impact in NHL, and is rounding out the team, just cause the league is diluted of players. Chiasson, Khaira, P.Russel, Sheahan, Gagner, Archibald, Granlund. They would all be 12 - 13th forwards in other teams. You cant make a line with just barley NHL players, and think it may hold it together.

I may be unfair to Archibald here, but he hasnt have a good game either. But most talented in the group.

Last edited:

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
Well, given the history of Edmonton, defensive quality has been a problem in over a decade, giving headache. While finally with Chiarelli drafting good D, and stockpiling them, Holland probably was sure Broberg is a hit, and giving a surefire defense for years to come, wich is good, no one knows what happens, players decline, get injured, want a trade. Whatever. For some reason, forwards the three latest years seems to just loose the inner power at december. It just falls like a house of cards.

While I was out and jogging in the dark swedish night, I really wonder if it is the early coming, and long days of darkness that drowns the energy out of the player in December? The teams in south has an advantage with more longer light days, and more energy.

The top forward prospects in Edmonton looked nice for a year ago. After the preseason, it looks a lot weaker. The only prospect I feel a bit excited for here is McLeod. Yamamoto was a strange pick to begin with, a small forward with the skillset that often results in "junior superstar that fails with the next jump". I think he will end up as the steady 3RW on Oilers, or traded. Benson, I hope he just has a downyear,
Marody, ... yikes.

Soon going into the critical part of the season, I see the oilers as (with a little cynic twist .. sorry for that)
Draisaitl. Mc D Kassian - proven line
Whatever of the crap that is left that has played OK lately- Nuge - Neal . and the duo aint doing it even
Nygård Haas "Whoever of the crap that is lucky to get the trust"
And rounding out with the
"barley NHL players that just can play defense, hopefully can PK, and should play as low miniutes as possible"
I don care who, but it will be Khaira cause he PKs with Nuge - Cave - some crappy player that is left

Aye Carumba! What a response. Stop taking the weed!

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
Nuge/Chaisson got 50 goals last year combined.

On pace for.....Wait for it....Maybe 5 goals! WOW

We can talk about Tips, this and that. It boils down to one thing. We do not have enough consistent NHL Caliber players. That's it. No other argument to be made.

Last year we were going on historic PK runs in a bad way

Lets break the modern day record for the most garbage bottom 8sh...Why not right.

MOST TEAMS 3RD/4TH LINES WOULD BEAT THE CRAP OUT OF OUR 2ND LINE.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Nuge/Chaisson got 50 goals last year combined.

On pace for.....Wait for it....Maybe 5 goals! WOW

We can talk about Tips, this and that. It boils down to one thing. We do not have enough consistent NHL Caliber players. That's it. No other argument to be made.

Last year we were going on historic PK runs in a bad way

Lets break the modern day record for the most garbage bottom 8sh...Why not right.

MOST TEAMS 3RD/4TH LINES WOULD BEAT THE CRAP OUT OF OUR 2ND LINE.

My take is that Nuge need another good player on his line, he is not a linedriver. And Neal is a very complex player, I think they both take each other out a bit. But hasnt Nuge always been very inconsistent? Good games, he looks elite, a very talented player. But at least 30 games each year, he looks just average or having a bad game. And this year, it turns out to be more than 30 bad games..

dem

Mar 17, 2002
Nuge looks like hes about to cry in the new interview...

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Should trade nuge for a winger. He’s the last remnant of the decade of suck. What gets me about him is that he’s been here for so long, was a number 1 pick, gets paid a lot, and still plays soft af. Needs to be a difference maker, and he isn’t one.

I mean there's like 3-4 actual NHL forwards on this team, but sure, ship one of them out, that always works well for this team.

Reactions: iCanada

Todd Parchment

Apr 5, 2018
RNH is the new villain round these parts? Figures.
He’ll get traded for some plug player and a 3rd, some people will be happy and then complain that we traded him for scraps when his value has dipped. Then he will get back to a 60 point pace on his new team and people will cry. Just Oilers (fans) things.

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
My take is that Nuge need another good player on his line, he is not a linedriver. And Neal is a very complex player, I think they both take each other out a bit. But hasnt Nuge always been very inconsistent? Good games, he looks elite, a very talented player. But at least 30 games each year, he looks just average or having a bad game. And this year, it turns out to be more than 30 bad games..
I have been saying Nuge needs a real man on his line to actually produce. I am just sick of his crap. He is somebody who will Jhonny Geadreau once the playoffs hit. Zero intensity player.

OR, he is just not that good. I do not want to pony up and waste what we will have to just to keep him here. He is not worth anymore than his salary at the moment. I think a smart GM can make more out of his current salary.

I am not saying just throw him away and then find help. 1 goal in 17 games. A effin farm guy would have probably beat his production already.

Never heard the guy say I in an interview. Just we this or we that.

He's run his course here for me personally. Sick of this ghost.

Reactions: Messrules11

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
And how much has RNH actually done this year where you tell yourself, "God Damn! If he had a better winger, he would have sooo many points!!!"

I can't think of much. We all have our opinions. I can't wait until he is gone. Felt that way since the playoff run.

Reactions: Messrules11

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
Ah I see, so in your mind its an automatic then. IF we drafted Zegras he WOULD forego his college eligibility AND be an effective 2nd line centre at 19 years old. Who is the naive one?

And you dont know what Hall would want or command either but given who his agent is and where the market is for a top line under 28 year old winger with Panarins numbers are I would say its a pretty safe guess that number begins with a 12 and ends with 6 zeroes and he signs in a tax burden market for at least 10.5-11.5 and in a non tax burden market like Nashville for at least 9.5.
U missed the quote today where Hall said his priority is winning, not money, but don't let that get in your way of a good argument. Also if you want to debate Zegras, it's arrogant to not even acknowledge my examples in Connor and Tkachuk. Anyway, you seem like the guy, or gal, who needs the last word, so go ahead. Cheers.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
U missed the quote today where Hall said his priority is winning, not money, but don't let that get in your way of a good argument. Also if you want to debate Zegras, it's arrogant to not even acknowledge my examples in Connor and Tkachuk. Anyway, you seem like the guy, or gal, who needs the last word, so go ahead. Cheers.

I don’t think the situation you present is plausible (Hall coming to Edmonton for RNH and Zegras leaving college to play w Edmonton and have success as a 19 year old 2nd line center).

What Connor and Tkachuk did worked for them. Most college players however stay in for most if not all of their 4 years.

That’s all I’ve got. :thumbu:

elmeroil

Feb 3, 2013
There must be something more going on this year with Nuge. He just looks so disinterested.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I don’t think the situation you present is plausible (Hall coming to Edmonton for RNH and Zegras leaving college to play w Edmonton and have success as a 19 year old 2nd line center).

What Connor and Tkachuk did worked for them. Most college players however stay in for most if not all of their 4 years.

That’s all I’ve got. :thumbu:

Not commenting on the rest of it, but basically every top 10 pick that goes to the NCAA are one year and done.

Hughes, Mittelstadt, Keller, Jost, Werenski, Trouba, etc.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Not commenting on the rest of it, but basically every top 10 pick that goes to the NCAA are one year and done.

Hughes, Mittelstadt, Keller, Jost, Werenski, Trouba, etc.

That is true. It will remain to be seen if Zegras follows that same path.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
And how much has RNH actually done this year where you tell yourself, "God Damn! If he had a better winger, he would have sooo many points!!!"

I can't think of much. We all have our opinions. I can't wait until he is gone. Felt that way since the playoff run.

That's just it, he's not creating a lot for his linemates with passes that put them in a great position to score. It's just Nuge playing it safe game after game, we've seen this before when McLelland challenged him. He accepted the challenge and had a very good season, now he's back to "safe" Nuge when we need him to be playmaker Nuge.

Zguy370

Dec 25, 2007
I have been saying Nuge needs a real man on his line to actually produce. I am just sick of his crap. He is somebody who will Jhonny Geadreau once the playoffs hit. Zero intensity player.

OR, he is just not that good. I do not want to pony up and waste what we will have to just to keep him here. He is not worth anymore than his salary at the moment. I think a smart GM can make more out of his current salary.

I am not saying just throw him away and then find help. 1 goal in 17 games. A effin farm guy would have probably beat his production already.

Never heard the guy say I in an interview. Just we this or we that.

He's run his course here for me personally. Sick of this ghost.

Yep, while carrying an "A" on his jersey, talk about leadership for you pffft.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

Do you really think a player is going to say that his priority is money not winning?
I think we can pretty much conclude that Halls quote was irrelevant.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad