Post-Game Talk: I'm not naming my son Ryan

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
we all knew this would happen yet we still act surprised that this happened

I dont think anyone knew RNH would have 0 5v5 goals in 17 games after getting 29 goals total last season. His shooting percentage has completely tanked.

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
Waive Jurco and Chaisson as soon as Nygard and Archibald come back.
Put Nurse or Bear on the PP instead if Klefbom isn't going to shoot.
Kassian belongs on the first line.
We don't have anyone else who can play on that line with Drai and McDavid that are going to start scoring. It's either Drai-McDavid-Kassian or you're splitting McDavid and Drai up.
If Hopkins keeps this up we'll be able to resign him for 3.5-4M to play 3rd line center next year.
If we would have drafted zegras he would have taken nuges place in a year or two then use that money to sign Hall

AlbOilFAN

Jan 26, 2018
Oilers org has to do what Flames did and question the league's officiating and why it is so subjective based on the player's ability who is being interfered with. The Oilers could literally double up PP's every night on their opponent just on skill alone as both Drai and McD are now unstoppable without imposing illegal tactics. However, officials must be told to keep the game "close".
I agree 100 percent, for me the biggest thing is that oilers are being screwed by the officials in the last 3 games, starting in Pittsburgh, Phoenix and last night against the blues. Draisaitl looks so frustrated with all non calls. Holland or Tippett needs to say something to the league.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
If we would have drafted zegras he would have taken nuges place in a year or two then use that money to sign Hall

So you honestly think Hall wants to come back here? The same Hall who will cost you a little more than $6M per season (probably close to $12M per year, Panarin type money as a UFA) and we would need that money this coming season. Where Edmonton doesn't have the money when you factor in we need to resign Nurse and a host of other players?

And you honestly believe a 19 year old rookie like Zegras would forego the last 3 years of college to come to Edmonton and be our second line centre one year after his draft year? And be remotely effective? With Edmonton, who chews up 18 and 19 year olds and spits them out like peanuts?

Dreaming in techicolor my friend.

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
I dont think anyone knew RNH would have 0 5v5 goals in 17 games after getting 29 goals total last season. His shooting percentage has completely tanked.
I'm talking about lack of scoring all around and special teams normalizing after unsustainable start.

Reactions: Mav3rick07

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
So you honestly think Hall wants to come back here? The same Hall who will cost you a little more than $6M per season (probably close to $12M per year, Panarin type money as a UFA) and we would need that money this coming season. Where Edmonton doesn't have the money when you factor in we need to resign Nurse and a host of other players?

And you honestly believe a 19 year old rookie like Zegras would forego the last 3 years of college to come to Edmonton and be our second line centre one year after his draft year? And be remotely effective? With Edmonton, who chews up 18 and 19 year olds and spits them out like peanuts?

High picks always come out. Don't be naive.

See Kyle Connor Winnipeg, Brady Tkachuk Ottawa.... Less desirable markets then ours....

And you don't know what hall would want or command.

Reactions: frag2

Dashh

Oct 26, 2013
Should trade nuge for a winger. He’s the last remnant of the decade of suck. What gets me about him is that he’s been here for so long, was a number 1 pick, gets paid a lot, and still plays soft af. Needs to be a difference maker, and he isn’t one.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

I'm starting to wonder honestly if this team is ever going anywhere relying on RNH. He always shrinks when the team really needs him.

I think honestly Hall + Zacha from NJ for RNH + Pulju should be looked at.

Reactions: o98

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I'm starting to wonder honestly if this team is ever going anywhere relying on RNH. He always shrinks when the team really needs him.

I think honestly Hall + Zacha from NJ for RNH + Pulju should be looked at.

I don't think that trade is palatable from the NJ standpoint.

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009

Yes. This will prove to be an issue that persists.

Broberg was a luxury pick given the other needs of the team.

Team is loaded at defense prospects. There is no room for all of them. Woefully thin at forward.

Prior to the 2019 draft, this was the depth chart for rookies:

Top D prospects not on roster

Bouchard
Samorukov
Jones
Lagesson
Bear

Top Forward prospects
Benson
Yamomoto
McLead
Marody

Adding Broberg was nice, but not a need. Zegras would make that forward group look alot better.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
High picks always come out. Don't be naive.

See Kyle Connor Winnipeg, Brady Tkachuk Ottawa.... Less desirable markets then ours....

And you don't know what hall would want or command.

Ah I see, so in your mind its an automatic then. IF we drafted Zegras he WOULD forego his college eligibility AND be an effective 2nd line centre at 19 years old. Who is the naive one?

And you dont know what Hall would want or command either but given who his agent is and where the market is for a top line under 28 year old winger with Panarins numbers are I would say its a pretty safe guess that number begins with a 12 and ends with 6 zeroes and he signs in a tax burden market for at least 10.5-11.5 and in a non tax burden market like Nashville for at least 9.5.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
That's about as good as they're gonna get for Hall given he doesn't want to sign there and is a pending UFA. Ottawa would've taken that for Stone and ran.

What Ottawa would have done is irrelevant. It is what New Jersey will do. Hall doesn't want to sign in NJ? According to a speculative media, thats a maybe. But there is no report Hall wont sign in NJ, who will throw bags of cash his way. And if he wants to hit free agency, Hall will command a high price as it will be a trade and a signing a few seconds after the trade.

RNH is playing like dogshit right now so I doubt he is getting you Hall with PJ and NJ giving Zacha.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
What Ottawa would have done is irrelevant. It is what New Jersey will do. Hall doesn't want to sign in NJ? According to a speculative media, thats a maybe. But there is no report Hall wont sign in NJ, who will throw bags of cash his way. And if he wants to hit free agency, Hall will command a high price as it will be a trade and a signing a few seconds after the trade.

RNH is playing like dog**** right now so I doubt he is getting you Hall with PJ and NJ giving Zacha.

He does not want to go through another rebuild which NJ is clearly in. Plain and simple, I think its occured to NJ by now to offer him money.

No pending UFA in the last 15 years has returned an RNH.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
As a long time, big time, fan of Sam Gagner it pains me greatly to say, but he might be done. Watching the game yesterday it was sad to see how ineffective he looked with McDavid and Draisaitl. Gagner of old would have risen to that game and made something happen. And sure I guess the ‘try’ was there, but that kind of only makes it worse because he was losing puck battles left and right last night. His attempts to chip short and chase were tough to watch. To me he looks slower than last season - just no speed left at all. To be fair, there were still some decent passes/ distribution by Gags when he could manage to get puck possession in an area of space to work with, but they were few and far between against a big aggressive puck pressure team like the Blues. I think he could maybe show more against clubs built differently than the Blues but I wonder if Tippet gives him another chance because man oh man Sam you did not look good last night.

if we could transplant Sam’s brain into Puljujarvi’s head then we would have one hell of a top line winger.
Sam has done very good in the NHL for how limited his physical abilities are.

Oct 15, 2008
Should trade nuge for a winger. He’s the last remnant of the decade of suck. What gets me about him is that he’s been here for so long, was a number 1 pick, gets paid a lot, and still plays soft af. Needs to be a difference maker, and he isn’t one.
We are the Atlanta Thrashers.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
He does not want to go through another rebuild which NJ is clearly in. Plain and simple, I think its occured to NJ by now to offer him money.

No pending UFA in the last 15 years has returned an RNH.

Ryan Nugent Hopkins is way overvalued by the Edmonton fans and media. If he had Taylor Hall value he would have been traded for a Taylor Hall by now.

I would not be in the least surprised to see Hall sign in New Jersey for huge money and term when he realizes that this summer will be the worst in cap space for teams since the cap came in. I dont see Hall coming to Edmonton whatsoever under any circumstances.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Ryan Nugent Hopkins is way overvalued by the Edmonton fans and media. If he had Taylor Hall value he would have been traded for a Taylor Hall by now.

I would not be in the least surprised to see Hall sign in New Jersey for huge money and term when he realizes that this summer will be the worst in cap space for teams since the cap came in. I dont see Hall coming to Edmonton whatsoever under any circumstances.

He has said plain and simple he does not want to be in another rebuild 10 years into his career.

And he has every right to feel that way.

If he was going to sign in NJ, he would have already. Ask the Islanders how that went for them with Tavares.

If a guy is not willing to sign with you with 60 games left on his contract and you're a long shot for playoffs as Jersey is ... forget it.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
He has said plain and simple he does not want to be in another rebuild 10 years into his career.

If he was going to sign in NJ, he would have already. Ask the Islanders how that went for them with Tavares.

If a guy is not willing to sign with you with 60 games left on his contract and you're a long shot for playoffs as Jersey is ... forget it.

I know what he said. Players say shit all the time, like how Tavares said he wanted to stay in Long Island. The Devils are one of the few teams who can throw $12M x 8 at him and not handcuff themselves. No contender has remotely that kind of cap space. Perhaps money will talk to Hall into staying for the rebuild completion. Perhaps not.

Either way, RNH is not getting you Taylor Hall in this lifetime.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I know what he said. Players say **** all the time, like how Tavares said he wanted to stay in Long Island. The Devils are one of the few teams who can throw $12M x 8 at him and not handcuff themselves. No contender has remotely that kind of cap space. Perhaps money will talk to Hall into staying for the rebuild completion. Perhaps not.

Either way, RNH is not getting you Taylor Hall in this lifetime.

As a pending rental no one has returned anything close to an RNH. Pending rental status makes a huge difference and you know that stop being obtuse.

Hall has a ton of money already and will get plenty anywhere, Edmonton included. He wants to win, no really good player has been on as many crappy teams as him.

Even Tavares made the playoffs three times in Long Island, Hall has made it once in his whole career, a brief 1st round exit.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
he's had more good than bad

Oilers still had chance to tie it with a PP goal late in the game despite a sub-par performance...goaltending ain't the issue here
It's not the issue but if the Oilers allow more than 1 goal they're usually toast.
Lack of scoring is killing this team again and if the goaltending is anything less than great...

dssource

5-14-6-1=97
Jun 29, 2012
No pls. Jurco is to talented to be another Yakupov...

Say that Jurcos bad/ineffective play is a result of bad linemates. please...

I'm a fan of Jurco and hope he succeeds. I felt his was good in preseason and the start of the season.

But after he is scratched for 3 games he simply cannot come into the game and be a net negative. He needs to be better. See C. Cave on his return.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006

I wouldn't have predicted 0 but I damn sure knew if offense was going to be expected out of him, he would be a huge let down.

Been saying for the last 6 years his offense is way too reliant on wingers doing the heavy lifting

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
As a pending rental no one has returned anything close to an RNH. Pending rental status makes a huge difference and you know that stop being obtuse.

Hall has a ton of money already and will get plenty anywhere, Edmonton included. He wants to win, no really good player has been on as many crappy teams as him.

Even Tavares made the playoffs three times in Long Island, Hall has made it once in his whole career, a brief 1st round exit.

Just because in your mind its a slam dunk that RNH would fetch Taylor Hall right this moment, doesn't make it a reality or me obtuse. RNH is not getting you Taylor Hall period no matter how much sense it makes to you because RNH is playing like complete dogshit while Taylor Hall is scoring at a point a game clip. That my friend is the reality.

As for him resigning in New Jersey (or with any other bottom feeder) Taylor, New Jersey (or Ottawa or Los Angeles) is offering you $12M x 8 years with 50% of the money up front in signing bonuses in the first 4 years of the deal and a full no move for the length of the deal. Thats $96 Million with $72 Million of that paid in the first 4 years of your contract. On the other hand, Nashville is offering you $9 million x 8 with the same signing bonus percentages and no move. The difference is $24 MILLION dollars Taylor for you to play in a rebuilding market versus a contending market.

Taylor Hall (or any other hockey player) is not leaving $24 Million Dollars on the table. Even after tax your talking about net $10-15 million dollars depending on the market. Winning is fun. So is making a shit ton of money. And rebuilding teams become good teams unless you are the Edmonton Oilers who have been perennially rebuilding since 1992.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad