Post-Game Talk: I'm a Leaf on the Wind. Watch How I <<splat>>: Leafs Lose 3-2 in Arizona. (PGT p19)

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Well another loss. Such is how it goes though. Not like they didn't have a chance there.
because goalies have near total control of their save percentage, while shooters have very little control of their shooting percentage. save percentage is a skill, shooting percentage is mostly luck.
So scoring pucks is pure luck while stopping pucks is pure skill. Well I'm sure a lot of forwards would be interested in that kind of analysis :laugh:. Guess we should just focus on drafting goalies since scoring is just luck anyways.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
because goalies have near total control of their save percentage, while shooters have very little control of their shooting percentage. save percentage is a skill, shooting percentage is mostly luck.

Well then I guess it sucks to be Kadri in a contract year. Lucky for Bernier he's already signed 2 years at 4 million. Rebound next year in time for a new contract.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Well another loss. Such is how it goes though. Not like they didn't have a chance there.

So scoring pucks is pure luck while stopping pucks is pure skill. Well I'm sure a lot of forwards would be interested in that kind of analysis :laugh:. Guess we should just focus on drafting goalies since scoring is just luck anyways.

Or focus on drafting players who seem lucky.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005

Can you elaborate on this logic a bit, because it seems counter-intuitive. For instance, if goalies had near total control of their save %, we should expect it to be very consistent year over year...which is not the case with most goalies.

Also, it seems to me that save % is correlated to team defense quite a bit. That's why Kings and Bruins backup goalies always have a stellar save %, which tends to plummet when they leave the team.

Meanwhile, if players shooting percentage was mostly luck, we'd expect there to be massive variance in % for every player and no year over year trend...which I don't think is the case. I think we generally see some degree of consistency in a player's % year over year, and what's more, is we see guys with a great shot (ie Stamkos) consistently display a higher shooting % than guys with a pedestrian shot (ie JVR).

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
I don't know, I've seen the Leafs standing up for each other a bit more this year. If there's a bit of aggro, at least they'll scrum up instead looking for quarters, like they did last year. And in a game v. the Rangers, I saw JvR come over and put a shoulder into Jarret Stoll because he was giving Kadri a hard time.

Don't get me wrong, I miss the days when Colton Orr would come over and have a little chat whenever something like that happened, but that's just not the NHL in 2015.

Oh it's still the NHL. Just not here.

Less than 48 hrs ago:

CanadasTeam

Nov 9, 2009
Tarrana
Most would settle for NHL level. What's his save% on the year again? How about last night?

That's just frustration talking. Name any NHL goalie that could've saved the first two? Without the bad bounces last night his percentage would've been .962 (at worst .923) vs. .885

He's coming back to form compared to how he was the last few weeks.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
That's just frustration talking. Name any NHL goalie that could've saved the first two? Without the bad bounces last night his percentage would've been .962 (at worst .923) vs. .885

Absolutely a bad bounce on the first one, second goal is still a stoppable puck as was the third. Bad bounces happen, it's part of the game. Arizona had an offside goal allowed, but their goalie still made the saves he needed to.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Gretzky had bodyguards on the ice with him. If you touched him at all they pounded you.

yup he had Semenko protecting him but there also was an unwritten rule that you went easy on him physically

Last edited by a moderator:

MikeBabchuk

Mike Bobcat
May 24, 2013
Toronto

We hear this story every night though.

The fact is, the average NHL goalie is stopping .916 percent of the shots, so one would assume they in fact are finding ways to stop these types of chances more often.

It's beyond if Bernier is good enough. The answer right now is he is not. The question becomes why, and what can he do to improve his game?

One immediate suggestion is that he needs to do better to fight through traffic and even still, stand up longer and don't go down on his knees early, simply hoping the puck hits him. Maybe 6'5 goalies can get away with that quite often, but small goalies simply can't. These plays are happening a lot with him and it's evidence enough. People keep calling them bad luck plays or unstoppable pucks but that only tells you that there's nothing he can do to improve his game and stop more pucks. I don't believe that to be the case.

If that was indeed the case, he would be a total lost cause. He needs to listen to the goalie coach and watch the video because I am sure they have noticed this and other things he can improve on as well. I do question whether he is willing to listen and work on these weaknesses, however, because they have yet to be addressed fully in his game (although he has been challenging better overall).

makbeer

Sep 28, 2006
Every time someone brings up save percentage to evaluate a goalie on an individual game I know I can safely ignore their opinion on goaltending.

makbeer

Sep 28, 2006

Wow...you say it like it's fact, but it clearly isn't.

I'd actually argue that a shooter has much more control over their shooting % - every time the puck leaves their stick it's their choice. If it doesn't go in its because they missed, or they shot and nothing was there.

Meanwhile a goalie is at the mercy of the opposition, the defense, and the hockey gods.

Shooting is proactive, saving is reactive. In life, and in hockey, you're in control when you're proactive and dictating the situation.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
In the NHL I grew up with, players weren't a bunch of suck ***** that went after a player just because he knocked your team-mate on his ass.

Gilmour - McSorley - Clark

?

Sticking up for your teammates has been a hallmark of hockey for ages. To this day... except here... it's what teammates do.

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
Gilmour - McSorley - Clark

?

Sticking up for your teammates has been a hallmark of hockey for ages. To this day... except here... it's what teammates do.

Gretzky had bodyguards on the ice with him. If you touched him at all they pounded you.

Gretzky & Gilmour, anything a little different than Boyle?

Top players were protected, Gretzky much more so than others, but even a guy like Gilmour took more than his fair share of hits, without retribution. Gilmour dished it out, so he had to take it as well. Gretzky didn't dish it out.

"Sticking" up for someone just because he got a good hit is suck ass hockey, it's like you can't throw a good hard check these days without someone whining about it. I know I took my fair share of hits when I played, I wasn't looking for someone to babysit me & I wasn't expecting someone trying to *****-slap me because I hammered one of their guys.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
^ well let's look at who is doing the "fighting" for the Leafs.

Kadri has the first official fight. He held on as best he could when Backes started filling him in.

Did anyone challenge Backes the rest of the game on Kadri's behalf?

Nope. Just like the headshot. Crickets.

Holland has the other fight on the team. Through I am not sure how you can call it that when he kept his gloves on.

Oh, and JVR tried against big bad Marchand. I guess when he skated to him and said stop running our guys, he wasn't expecting Marchand to actually fight. On the plus side, his turtle move protected him well.

Did anyone step up during the rest of the game? Crickets.

Does Babcock teach that in practice?

Anyways, of those involved in eating punches, turtling and keeping their gloves on you have Kadri, JVR and Holland.

Arguably all 3 incidents showed the other team the aggressor and at least 2 of those 3 would be seen as top players on the team.

Maybe not Gretzky. But in hiarchy of the crap pile we have, they would be on top.

I think I started a thread on this topic before the season. That the downside of Babcock hockey would be a softness that would be hard to take.

We could debate fighting. Whether it has a place in the game. But for people to pretend it isn't part right now is silly. It is. Just not here.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
the leafs haven't been pushed around or intimidated by anyone.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
That's fine. No where did I say it is about intimidation.

They also haven't stood up for anyone. Which is the point.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
why is that the point?

they seem more cohesive and supportive than ever.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I'm not a fighting advocate, so my position is biased.

Legal hits should be expected, and it is up to the player to protect himself and not put himself into a position to get hurt when he is hit.

"He took the hit to make the play."

So if he takes a hit to make a play what does that tell you? It says taking a hit is part of hockey.

Penalties should be dished out for illegal hits.

Don't be stupid on the ice and accept you are going to take a hit.

If you build a team of smurfs, or chicken-poops don't rely on fighters to make them brave!

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
^ well let's look at who is doing the "fighting" for the Leafs.

Kadri has the first official fight. He held on as best he could when Backes started filling him in.

Did anyone challenge Backes the rest of the game on Kadri's behalf?

Nope. Just like the headshot. Crickets.

Holland has the other fight on the team. Through I am not sure how you can call it that when he kept his gloves on.

Oh, and JVR tried against big bad Marchand. I guess when he skated to him and said stop running our guys, he wasn't expecting Marchand to actually fight. On the plus side, his turtle move protected him well.

Did anyone step up during the rest of the game? Crickets.

Does Babcock teach that in practice?

Anyways, of those involved in eating punches, turtling and keeping their gloves on you have Kadri, JVR and Holland.

Arguably all 3 incidents showed the other team the aggressor and at least 2 of those 3 would be seen as top players on the team.

Maybe not Gretzky. But in hiarchy of the crap pile we have, they would be on top.

I think I started a thread on this topic before the season. That the downside of Babcock hockey would be a softness that would be hard to take.

We could debate fighting. Whether it has a place in the game. But for people to pretend it isn't part right now is silly. It is. Just not here.

So why exactly should someone from the Leafs be coming to the aid of the 3 Leafs mentioned?

Kadri handled himself appropriately with Backes, nothing further was required by anyone else. The headcheck? I didn't see it as much of a head check, I think Stone hit the shoulder, Kadri was off balance & maybe his team-mates thought he was just trying to draw a penalty again. Holland situation was handled by Holland, was someone supposed to be running to his aid there? JVR was standing up for a player, when Marchand started going after him, JVR looked goofy, but did that warrant intervention by another Leaf player? NHL calibre players shouldn't require extra baby sitting.

Leafs re not a big tough team, but they haven't been pushed around either & they have backed each other when required. I would prefer to have a team of players that can stand up for themselves & don't need guys like Colton Orr to be their courage. Give me guys like Shanahan, Iginla, Tkachuk, Nolan & Verbeek, none of them need anyone to "stand up" for them & I would like to see a lineup that other teams would fear more.

I'm not a fighting advocate, so my position is biased.

Legal hits should be expected, and it is up to the player to protect himself and not put himself into a position to get hurt when he is hit.

"He took the hit to make the play."

So if he takes a hit to make a play what does that tell you? It says taking a hit is part of hockey.

Penalties should be dished out for illegal hits.

Don't be stupid on the ice and accept you are going to take a hit.

If you build a team of smurfs, or chicken-poops don't rely on fighters to make them brave!

Yup.

Gretzky was initially brought up by another poster. The most famous hit Gretzky ever took was by Leafs McCreary. It was a good clean hit & there was no retribution. It was part of the game & Gretzky, uncharacteristically, put himself in a bad position. Semenko & McSorely were there to protect him against cheap shots not from the game.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
phaneuf polak komarov have been crushing opponents as much as and probably more than any trio in hockey. I don't see other teams' goons able to stop them from doing that, or our lack of goons scaring them away from doing that.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00