Post-Game Talk: I'm a Leaf on the Wind. Watch How I <<splat>>: Leafs Lose 3-2 in Arizona. (PGT p19)

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
But no, how can we expect a goalie to make a key save for his team:sarcasm: Once again, the 3rd goal wasn't his fault, he was partially screened, and it was slightly tipped. However, NHL goalies make those saves by making themselves big in net or tracking the puck....skills and attributes Bernier does not have. On another note, why is Matthias on the team? He's been terrible....2 goals in 32 games??? He ain't on this team for his defence thats for sure.

Well Bernier is a smaller goalie who is only going to get smaller.

Coyotes are just a better team, so when you have equal or less than equal goalies the odds are you are going to lose.

It isn't Berniers fault he's small ... that would be his parents fault.

Myke

Jun 9, 2006
Toronto/Ottawa
www.myke.org
After last nights game is any one else thinking it is time for Froese to head back down to the Marlies?

He has been a serviceable player but if he is not on the ice in the 1st last night I think the Leafs are up 1-0 after 20.

sommervr

Feb 25, 2013
After last nights game is any one else thinking it is time for Froese to head back down to the Marlies?

He has been a serviceable player but if he is not on the ice in the 1st last night I think the Leafs are up 1-0 after 20.

If he is not on the ice then Arcabello is with the same results

Erndog

Jul 17, 2007
Different threads. Different opinions. Slightly changed though.

No reference to the sternly worded letter. ;)

I was also thinking of asking whether anyone stared menacingly from the bench. You know, to send a message.

What message? For the next time we play Arizona?

You know... the Chicago Blackhawks haven't outhit their opponent in 184 straight games. Last time was Nov 3, 2013. Hitting/fighting/etc is completely overrated. You're grasping at something that has a very little impact on winning.

Shanty

July hockey is where bridges are burned
Jan 9, 2010
Toronto
Carrick was the other option that popped to my mind. A guy who can PK and play on the 4th line.

Froese has been fine. Remember 2 games ago when the 4th line was just all zone-time? Seems everyone's got short term memory on these guys today.

Morguee

Jan 22, 2010
Oh well, back to back, on the road, out west, blah blah blah

I just wonder why Marincin is still playing.

sommervr

Feb 25, 2013
Carrick was the other option that popped to my mind. A guy who can PK and play on the 4th line.

Yeah maybe. They probably aren't too happy with Carrick right now he really isn't bringing it for the Marlies.

A guy who is bringing it and not getting much love is Zack Hyman and he is a natural center. Just throwing that out there.

White Water Kayker

Nov 28, 2014

I think he's doing well actually. His faceoff percentage is good and he works hard. Last night is the first game where he had an "off" game, at least that I have seen. Hardly means he should be sent down for a guy we already know isn't going to fit the bill.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto

Okay I can see assigning a little bit of guilt on the second goal but the first one was a scoring chance the result of a serendipitous carom finished by a flukey roofed backhander on a bouncing puck.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Froese has been fine. Remember 2 games ago when the 4th line was just all zone-time? Seems everyone's got short term memory on these guys today.

I wouldn't be making a move now, but he'd be the other 4th line option.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013

You know... the Chicago Blackhawks haven't outhit their opponent in 184 straight games. Last time was Nov 3, 2013. Hitting/fighting/etc is completely overrated. You're grasping at something that has a very little impact on winning.

I don't think standing up for Kadri is something you do to win. It's something you do because a team mate had his head targeted by an opponent.

The "message" is more about what it means to Kadri to have his mates stand up for him than it is a deterrent or retribution.

As it is... Leaf takes a head shot. The team responds with crickets.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I thought Parenteau had an awful game.

I liked when Bozak and Kadri were on the line together. Resulted in our 2nd goal. Parenteau was missing the nice passes Bozak was making. Kadri didn't.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014

I don't agree. I'm not gnarly agressive but I'm not Volkswagen beetle yellowflower either. There is a place for it. Three players skated by naz asking if he was ok. We layed out some nice hits too.

Not fighting fits best for this line-up anyways.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
How anyone can defend Bernier at this point is beyond me. Never mind micro analyzing every performance. Just compare his save percentage this season to the rest of the goaltenders in the NHL and that tells you all you need to know. It's not bad luck, and it's certainly not the way the team has played in front of him. It's 100% on him.

The only positive is that he has singlehandedly kept us within reach of a top draft pick. Without him, we would easily be challenging for a playoff spot at the moment.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
How anyone can defend Bernier at this point is beyond me. Never mind micro analyzing every performance. Just compare his save percentage this season to the rest of the goaltenders in the NHL and that tells you all you need to know. It's not bad luck, and it's certainly not the way the team has played in front of him. It's 100% on him.

The only positive is that he has singlehandedly kept us within reach of a top draft pick. Without him, we would easily be challenging for a playoff spot at the moment.

If you read the endless debates on this board and believe that Kadri's shooting percentage and point totals will increase to the norm, why isn't Bernier's career save percentage going to do the same? He is not a career .888 goalie.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
If you read the endless debates on this board and believe that Kadri's shooting percentage and point totals will increase to the norm, why isn't Bernier's career save percentage going to do the same? He is not a career .888 goalie.

I'm not saying he won't revert to his career average at some point. I'm just commenting on his overall performance dating back to last season, and that he should be held 100% accountable for it. There are too many people that continue to make excuses for him.

I hope he will eventually prove all his detractors wrong, but how long can we wait before moving in another direction?

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

I think Babcock will be good for all the keepers on the team.

Two different styles, Reimer and Bernier, but career wise not much difference, except Bernier's early numbers were on a Stanley Cup team, Reimer on a floundering embarrassment.

Being on a bottom feeder can perhaps play with your head when you're the last line of defense.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Oh how surprising, the whole thread is yet again about our goaltender.

No kidding.

My favorite part was when they talked about Toronto and their shots and said "when they even get to shoot at all".... It was a bit before the midpoint of the game and the shots were 20-13 in our favor.

Every shot they took was almost a goal, every Domingue save amazing, every Toronto hit was ugly and to the numbers, and when one of their guys chirped Kadri for getting hit in the head, they were loving it.

I mean, I actually like Jack Edwards so it takes a lot for me to get annoyed about homerish announcers.

The bottom line is that our goalies need to be Roy to not get blamed for everything?

Amateur hour for sure...Kadri got smoked from behind and nothing at all was mentioned.

mikebel111*

All coaches have faults, and Babs is amazing but his overplaying of Marincin looks to be a fault of his

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

because goalies have near total control of their save percentage, while shooters have very little control of their shooting percentage. save percentage is a skill, shooting percentage is mostly luck.

Darkside Blue

There/They're/Their
Feb 17, 2014
I don't think standing up for Kadri is something you do to win. It's something you do because a team mate had his head targeted by an opponent.

The "message" is more about what it means to Kadri to have his mates stand up for him than it is a deterrent or retribution.

As it is... Leaf takes a head shot. The team responds with crickets.

I don't know, I've seen the Leafs standing up for each other a bit more this year. If there's a bit of aggro, at least they'll scrum up instead looking for quarters, like they did last year. And in a game v. the Rangers, I saw JvR come over and put a shoulder into Jarret Stoll because he was giving Kadri a hard time.

Don't get me wrong, I miss the days when Colton Orr would come over and have a little chat whenever something like that happened, but that's just not the NHL in 2015.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Hunwick was sick yesterday and didn't dress so in this case Babcock had no choice on the matter as both Marincin and Corrado played with no other options.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON

It doesn't always, though. Some times players have down years. They are not robots, they are human beings.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad