Player Discussion: Ilya Sorokin

Sorokin has been an absolute rock for the Islanders and the only consistent part of their game this season. With that being said do you think he deserves to win the Vezina for his play this year? With a supporting cast the Bruins offer Ullmark it begs to question what kind of numbers Sorokin would have on a team like that?

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
Sorokin has been an absolute rock for the Islanders and the only consistent part of their game this season. With that being said do you think he deserves to win the Vezina for his play this year? With a supporting cast the Bruins offer Ullmark it begs to question what kind of numbers Sorokin would have on a team like that?

this freaken kid is keeping the Islanders out of the Bedard sweepstakes .

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
this freaken kid is keeping the Islanders out of the Bedard sweepstakes .
This team would have wound up picking 5th this year even if they were the worst team. Uncle Gary decided where young Connor will play. He can’t have a high end talent like that outshine the crosstown rivals and all the excessive hype they get for being a mediocre team.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
This team would have wound up picking 5th this year even if they were the worst team. Uncle Gary decided where young Connor will play. He can’t have a high end talent like that outshine the crosstown rivals and all the excessive hype they get for being a mediocre team.
Oh brother. Love the Bettman conspiracy people.

No, Ullmark gets it (as of today).

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
Great year but not getting the hardware unless the Isles go on a run and makes the playoffs lead by this freak we have between the pipes.
Can't watch tonight double m. Local blackout. Oh well. Guess it's the No Fun League. I give NYG a fighting chance. Canes shut us out earlier. Tempted to play the goose egg in the goal contest. I should just sneak a look at Capades Jr's folded up sheet before entering my pick hahaha.

Oh well, things to ruminate about over my weekly americano and canoli over at the Cafe where we all exchange stories not take ourselves too seriously and have ourselves a blast. I'll take you over if your ever in town. You'll fit in like Cizikas with Matty B

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
I see a lot of chatter on Armchair-GM about trading Sorokin! o_O
aside from McDavid, I'm not sure there's anyone I'd trade Sorokin for. The position is too critical and the gap between a superb goalie and even an average goalie is immense.

Goaltending is erratic in the NHL and so many good seasons and bad seasons can sway the perceived value of an individual goalie, but the ones that are consistently great truly stand out. Sorokin's one of those few.

Anyone's capable of a great run, a playoff run, but Sorokin's barely entering his prime.

I know nobody's seriously contemplating a trade - so largely wasting time here.

Reactions: MJF

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
Gunna be difficult argument for the goaltender of a .500 team that misses playoffs to be deserved of the Vezina.

Reactions: redbull

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
aside from McDavid, I'm not sure there's anyone I'd trade Sorokin for. The position is too critical and the gap between a superb goalie and even an average goalie is immense.

Goaltending is erratic in the NHL and so many good seasons and bad seasons can sway the perceived value of an individual goalie, but the ones that are consistently great truly stand out. Sorokin's one of those few.

Anyone's capable of a great run, a playoff run, but Sorokin's barely entering his prime.

I know nobody's seriously contemplating a trade - so largely wasting time here.
we can't even win a game with solid play for 60 minutes. does anyone in their right mind seriously ,think sorokin or no, that we can win 4 in a series vs good/great teams then do that 4 seperate times

this guy will be worn out from overuse soon enough and will be shell-shocked come playoff time with the garbage D they play in front of him

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Maybe I am being optimistic, but I would be very surprised if Sorokin left the Islanders...he seems like to being near Igor. I know Ilya likes Florida as well, but with Vasi and Knight there long term, there's no spot down there.

I hope he's re-signed as soon as he's able to re-sign.

Reactions: YearlyLottery

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
Nobody is mentioning it, but isn't it a good possibility that Sorokin "could" win the Hart this year?

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
If we make the playoffs I would think Soroky will get some votes. I give him a longshot's chance of winning it.
For sure, unless he goes berserk he will get a few votes but nothing more.

Reactions: MJF
Nobody is mentioning it, but isn't it a good possibility that Sorokin "could" win the Hart this year?
I would think he definitely deserves consideration for the Hart depending on how the rest of the season pans out.

I would think he definitely deserves consideration for the Hart depending on how the rest of the season pans out.
Similar to the year Hall won the Hart by almost single handedly leading the Devils into the playoffs.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Gotta wonder if Ilya is dealing with something off the ice. He’s the best goalie the Isles have ever had and there’s definitely something just…off.

I just hope all is well with him and his family, girlfriend/wife, house, etc.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Sorokin is the last guy on this team I'd be worried about. Expecting him to be a miracle worker every game is not fair to him. We're lax defensively, he's seeing a ton of rubber, our PK has swapped identities with our PP. If we could support our goaltending more instead of blowing D zone coverages and letting him face shooters from right in front of him I'm sure we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad