Ilya Sorokin vs Igor Shestyorkin

Who is the better prospect?

• Total voters

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
No doubt Sorokin was better in these playoffs. That's also the first time he has been better since 2015/16 so maybe it's not the time to draw too far going conclusions just yet.

As I pointed out, their numbers (GAA, SV%) have been almost identical over the last three years... the main difference between the two has been usage. Sorokin has also always been picked over Shestyorkin internationally up until last year when Sorokin needed rest after just finishing another round to the cup final as a starter.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
Seriously, when you get down to it, that is a difference of maybe one or two saves over a season. The numbers are seriously that tight...

1.89 GAA Vs 1.88 GAA
.926 SV% Vs .929 SV%

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
Can I be honest and say I've apparently thought these two were the same dude for years?

Haha it is confusing both New York goalies with similar names and both prospects, I remember hearing about the the second one of these two and thinking of the other right after.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think that guy is counting playoff stats, which doesn't make sense because one has played 16 playoff games over the last three seasons and the other has started 45 playoff games.

SKA's thinking is that the import goalie that they bring in is being paid a higher salary than the young KHL keeper, so if its somewhat close, the import goalie is going to play in the playoffs. Shestyorkin had a .07 better SV% over two years than Koskinen, so he was better, but Koskinen wasn't bad, and now we see that Koskinen is a competent NHL goalie. Koskinen also had already won the title backstopping SKA.

This year, it wasn't as close. Shestyorkin was by far the best goalie in the KHL this season, and Hellberg had never played a KHL playoff game. Like the rest of SKA, Shestyorkin's first two games weren't great, and he got very unfairly suspended in the third game. SKA started playing better, so they left Hellberg in for a series and a half and waited until Hellberg lost game 1 against CSKA to throw Shestyorkin back in. Shestyorkin barely played in these playoffs to begin with, and the circumstances were very fluky.

But sure, the team as a whole didn't play well enough in the playoffs, which is why they went out to CSKA, who has been better all season. CSKA is the best coached team in the KHL, and play the best defense in the KHL. They insulate the goalie really well. Thats not to say that Sorokin hasn't played well, but CSKA and SKA play different style hockey. SKA plays a highly offense and possession focused style, while CSKA plays a more pragmatic and defensive style. Its easier to have better stats with CSKA.

Shestyorkin has had better stats all three seasons they've both been playing regularly. From what I saw, Shestyorkin was the much better player in 16-17 and 17-18. Sorokin's development had stalled during those seasons, and the Russian National Team goalie coach said as much. This season, Sorokin's been much better than he had been before, and his play has been in line with 15-16. But this has also been Shestyorkin's best season, and he's put up one of the best KHL seasons ever.

I think Shestyorkin has proven himself to be a little better so far. He's definitely more consistent and plays a more NHL-ready brand of hockey. Sorokin is more acrobatic and needs to showcase better positioning, although he's showed a little better in that regard this season. They are close enough in ability that Sorokin could have the better NHL career, but I think right now Shestyorkin is the better goalie.

sfvega

Apr 20, 2015
Sorokin definitely to me. I was jealous of teams having him and Samsanov until the Blues sorted out their goalie issues recently. Still a little enamored with them tbh.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Succeeding in a league that is worse than the KHL isn't any more newsworthy than succeeding in the KHL itself.

I don't know what Sorokin's team is like but the KHL has a talent imbalance and if you're on a you team that talent you talk about works only in your favor.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Succeeding in a league that is worse than the KHL isn't any more newsworthy than succeeding in the KHL itself.
LoL, playing goalie is MUCH more difficult in the AHL than it in the KHL.

FIFTEEN goalies in the KHL have a GAA under 2.00
ZERO goalies in the AHL have a GAA under 2.00

SEVENTEEN goalies in the KHL have a save % of .930+
THREE goalies in the AHL have a save % of .930+

(all 10 game minimum)

Let's not try and sit here and pretend KHL goalies have it more difficult than AHL goalies when it's not even the slightest bit close.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
LoL, playing goalie is MUCH more difficult in the AHL than it in the KHL.

FIFTEEN goalies in the KHL have a GAA under 2.00
ZERO goalies in the AHL have a GAA under 2.00

SEVENTEEN goalies in the KHL have a save % of .930+
THREE goalies in the AHL have a save % of .930+

(all 10 game minimum)

Let's not try and sit here and pretend KHL goalies have it more difficult than AHL goalies when it's not even the slightest bit close.
Because the sizes of rink and play doesn't allow a fair straight comparison of stats from the AHL to KHL, but most acknowledge that the talent level of the KHL is superior to that of the AHL.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Because the sizes of rink and play doesn't allow a fair straight comparison of stats from the AHL to KHL, but most acknowledge that the talent level of the KHL is superior to that of the AHL.

Which includes the talent on their own teams and Crypto Guy's point is still valid unless you really think that the only reason the numbers were worse were because the goalies were all worse.

Reactions: The Crypto Guy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad