Ilya Sorokin Vs Igor Shesterkin?

Who is the better goaltender in your opinion?

• Total voters

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I know where your heart is and that you would die for this goalie, but come on. How is this an argument in Shestyorkin's favor?

15-16: KHL First All-Star, KHL Best GAA, KHL Best Goaltender
16-17: KHL All-Star
17-18: KHL All-Star
18-19: KHL All-Star, KHL Most Shutouts, Playoff Best GAA, Playoff Best svs%, Playoff MVP
19-20: KHL All-Star, KHL Most Shutouts

Sorokin's got the hardware when comparing accolades.

First of all, I don't think anyone here is literally willing to die on a hill for sake of sport argument. I certainly wouldn't.

Second of all, I'm simply responding to what you suggested. Thats the point of this website. People throw out opinions and ideas, and others respond to them, and give theirs. I never suggested Sorokin is anything other than good and very underrated. It doesn't mean though that what you suggested is correct.

Third of all, I'm not sure how you've decided that team accolades now should be included in an individual accolade discussion that you asked for. And as I mentioned, I never suggested Sorokin is anything other than good and very underrated. It doesn't however mean those individual accolades you mentioned are as good as Shestyorkin's individual accolades.

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
Shesterkin is better. Sorokin is amazing but he also plays for a coach whose system has historically put up vezina calibre numbers EVERY SINGLE YEAR.

AIexisLafreniereNYR

Registered Drug User
Jan 25, 2009
New York City
Shesty. Sorokin is solid, for sure. But the Isles under Trotz with their defense obviously helps. Under Quinn, the Rangers defense didn’t exist. Shesty has had a lot to deal with with a shitty coach and system.

Ignite111

Feb 9, 2017
Hard to compare as literally every goalie that plays for the Islanders has great results.

How about you watch the two play then. If you just look at the isles goalie results to make a decision you should not be voting haha. If you need to watch Sorokin you should look at Penguins series and tell me that Sorokin’s stats are due to the isles style

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
How about you watch the two play then. If you just look at the isles goalie results to make a decision you should not be voting haha. If you need to watch Sorokin you should look at Penguins series and tell me that Sorokin’s stats are due to the isles style

I didn't vote for that reason. And I'd rather keep it that way than be forced to watch Isles games haha

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
Sorokin plays for a good system team and Shesterkin plays for Rangers. You should take it into account.

Rangers were a solid team defensively this year. Certainly, no Islanders, but Quinn and company greatly improved the overall defensive product. Their analytics have them middle of the pack in the NHL five on five and they had one of the best Penalty Kills in the NHL this season.

I'd still give Shesterkin the edge in this, but its very close. It's more of a coin flip than anything else.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
Rangers were a solid team defensively this year. Certainly, no Islanders, but Quinn and company greatly improved the overall defensive product. Their analytics have them middle of the pack in the NHL five on five and they had one of the best Penalty Kills in the NHL this season.

I'd still give Shesterkin the edge in this, but its very close. It's more of a coin flip than anything else.
That’s not a good system, that’s just Pavel Buchnevich

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York

All of this is true, except for the last few weeks of the season that ruined Shestyorkin’s stats. He had some of the best numbers in the league until the last few weeks.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Right. Igor got gently led into the NA pros with practically a full season of AHL work. Ilya went straight into the lions den.

To no surprise, two of Ilya's worst games this season were in the first three he played.
And to no surprise the two worst games Shesterkin played in his first season were his NHL first game where he allowed 2 goals on his first 2 shots and the first game he got back from being in a car accident where he allowed 5 goals…Igor’s career stats are better in every single league over Sorokin’s

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Shestyorkin posts very solid numbers playing for one of the worst defensive teams in the league, while Sorokin posts solid numbers playing for one of the best defensive teams. The answer is obvious

Even taking this at face value, i don't really see how it tracks. It's based on some completely fallacious reasoning.

Sorokin posting good numbers behind a strong defensive team, is still posting good numbers. There's nothing more he can do there. That's not actually evidence that he's "less good" somehow. It's just evidence that he's "good". An assertion that his team is "better defensively" isn't really indicative of anything about Sorokin, individually...to become a "decisive point" against him in this comparison. The reasoning used there, extends to make it fundamentally impossible for a goaltender on a "strong defensive team" to be better...which is inherently fallacious.

Reactions: Yarice

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1