Value of: Ilya Sorokin to Edmonton?

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
In a few years when Draisaitl wants out.

Leon for Sorokin + Dobson + picks.
Sorokin if he keeps trending in the direction his game is going, he’ll be a top 10 goalie in the league. Trading him plus potentially the Isles #1RD for Leon with picks added in? Ouch. Leon is good but this would not be beneficial unless the Isles are in rebuild mode by then.

Reactions: CREW99AW

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Sorokin if he keeps trending in the direction his game is going, he’ll be a top 10 goalie in the league. Trading him plus potentially the Isles #1RD for Leon with picks added in? Ouch. Leon is good but this would not be beneficial unless the Isles are in rebuild mode by then.

Adding Leon to the Isles would be huge for them, he would literally be the perfect shooter on wing for Barzal and he would put them over the top. If the Isles can get 4-5 more peak years out of Varlamov and they have another up and coming RHD step up with Dobsons potential in a few years then the loss wouldn't be too bad.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Adding Leon to the Isles would be huge for them, he would literally be the perfect shooter on wing for Barzal and he would put them over the top. If the Isles can get 4-5 more peak years out of Varlamov and they have another up and coming RHD step up with Dobsons potential in a few years then the loss wouldn't be too bad.
Why trade the younger (and potentially better of the two) and leave a gaping hole on the top pair? Leon is a top 15 player in the league (majority would say top 10) but it would be still two steps back to go forward one.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
You don't trade your future goalie unless you have another future goalie.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Why trade the younger (and potentially better of the two) and leave a gaping hole on the top pair? Leon is a top 15 player in the league (majority would say top 10) but it would be still two steps back to go forward one.

I'd say Leon is a top 10 player right now in the NHL and will likely only get better. If the Isles want to add an elite forward to their team in the next few years, they will have to give up their best trading chip if it was to Edmonton. Oilers would for sure ask for Sorokin as goal is their biggest need.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
I'd say Leon is a top 10 player right now in the NHL and will likely only get better. If the Isles want to add an elite forward to their team in the next few years, they will have to give up their best trading chip if it was to Edmonton. Oilers would for sure ask for Sorokin as goal is their biggest need.
Oh I know. It all depends on how this season goes. If they implode and wind up with a high draft pick, a retooling like that may be in the works but not this year after back for back conference finals trips. Wahlstrom could be the missing piece on the first line as a shooter based on his skill set. He’s cost controlled and has one of the best releases I’ve seen in a long time.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Varly is under contract for 2 more yrs,not 4-5 and there is no other blueliner prospect in the system with Dobson's upside.
Way too much to give up for Drai.

Burnaby Schmo

Jan 23, 2021
Sorokin is my favorite young goalie, behind Demko. I'd hate having to play him more than twice a year, so let him stay in NY.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
HAHAHAHA Oh you guys :laugh:
Sorokin is 25 and Varly is 33.
Isles core players Barzal, Beau, Pelech, Pulock, Dobson,Pags and Wally are 22-27 yrs old.

I am curious, why fans would think Varly is the isles long-term answer in goal and what budding,young stud the Oilers have to offer up for Sorokin?

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Sorokin is 25 and Varly is 33.
Isles core players Barzal, Beau, Pelech, Pulock, Dobson,Pags and Wally are 22-27 yrs old.

I am curious, why fans would think Varly is the isles long-term answer in goal and what budding,young stud the Oilers have to offer up for Sorokin?

If you really think Leon Draisaitl or Connor freaking McDavid is the ask for Sorokin you are so far divorced from reality I don't think we can have a real conversation. Hell, tweet or email the comms department for the Islanders and ask their opinion. They wouldn't say either McDavid or Draisaitl with a straight face.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
If you really think Leon Draisaitl or Connor freaking McDavid is the ask for Sorokin you are so far divorced from reality I don't think we can have a real conversation. Hell, tweet or email the comms department for the Islanders and ask their opinion. They wouldn't say either McDavid or Draisaitl with a straight face.
I didn't say Sorokin could land McDavid or Drai.

I asked why 33 yr old Varly would be the isles long-term answer in goal instead of 25 yr old Sorokin?

I asked what budding, young stud the Oilers have to offer up for Sorokin?

Well?

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Just curious what it would take. He would be a good goalie for them for the future but I know he's seen by many as arguably the best up and coming goalie today.
I don't see it. The Isles waited years for him to come over, when Lou became GM, he finally decided to. Still had to wait for him to finish his KHL contract. And cudos to Ilya for honouring it. Given the Isles are a team that is built on D and Goaltending, it would take something unforeseen for Lou to move him given he is one GM that values Goaltending almost more than any GM in recent memory. Sorokin had a very good first season and playoff. At age 26, it's hard to see the Isles moving him.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Is this sorokin goalie the next hasek ?
Seeing a lot of funny proposals on this thread.
Kosko + Benson + pick for varlamov.
Isles got rid of Koskinen once. I don’t even think Mitch Korn can revive his NHL career. Lou would counter back with Leo+Skarek for your 2022 first rounder and it would be accepted like Chiarelli accepted Reinhart for the 2015 #16 pick.

hunter7isles

Feb 22, 2007

If you really think Sorokin is even available, you are so far divorced from reality I don't think we can have a real conversation. Of course he would not bring back McDavid or Leon, but thinking outside of your own box, you should realize that you do not have anything else that would interest the Isles that would entice them to trade someone who is considered one of the most talented young goalies in the world. He already showed flashes of it last year. They have absolutely no reason to trade him whatsoever.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
Sorokin isn't going anywhere. Edmonton doesn't have the assets to make the deal (except for being stupid enough to move one of their big stars).

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Is this sorokin goalie the next hasek ?
Seeing a lot of funny proposals on this thread.
Kosko + Benson + pick for varlamov.

Isles are no longer in cap hell with the Ladd,Leddy and Eberle moves. No interest in trading Varly at this point and not for that collection of unwanted parts

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
If you really think Sorokin is even available, you are so far divorced from reality I don't think we can have a real conversation. Of course he would not bring back McDavid or Leon, but thinking outside of your own box, you should realize that you do not have anything else that would interest the Isles that would entice them to trade someone who is considered one of the most talented young goalies in the world. He already showed flashes of it last year. They have absolutely no reason to trade him whatsoever.

1. I don't. Never said I did.
2. That is the post I was replying to. Glad you agree.
3. Cool.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Sorokin isn't going anywhere. Edmonton doesn't have the assets to make the deal (except for being stupid enough to move one of their big stars).

trade board hysterics betewen bad trading partners are inexorable. the reality that Edmonton didn't have the pieces was mentioned very early. if NYI were willing to trade him, denver would be the destination.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad