Confirmed with Link: Ilya Sorokin Signed

ziggy7716

Oct 20, 2006
He’s in the Isles ping pong tournament. His nickname is Soroky. He’s in the Group with Varlamov, Lee and Ross. No doubt Lee made sure he was with him. Varly as well. Lee really seems like a great Captain.

Watch Sorokin take the whole thing

Reactions: nyisles and scott99

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
'Some dudes just get it'?
I'm as glad as everyone else that this 'Dude' is here but he jerked us around for about 4 years, and now all of a sudden he 'gets it'?
Sorry, he doesn't get an instant free pass from me.

If by jerking around you mean blatantly told them he wasn't interested in signing at the time and was under contract in the KHL which everybody knew about, thus not leading the team on at all? Yes I guess he jerked them around then?

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
If by jerking around you mean blatantly told them he wasn't interested in signing at the time and was under contract in the KHL which everybody knew about, thus not leading the team on at all? Yes I guess he jerked them around then?

Unfortunately, some people have trouble separating the social/media reports and buzz from the official statements of the player. As you alluded to... it's not Sorokin's fault that we fans and online speculation lead to the sense that he was "jerking" fans around.

In fact, whenever asked anything directly, ie "Did you ask for a trade from the Isles?" He would debunk it immediately when asked.

Barzilla

Sep 16, 2009
Dirty O
Clearly bringing this up because of varlys struggles to handle the puck. But how is sorokin at playing behind his net?

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Not a response to the last question (don't know the answer), but I was recently thinking how great it is that he's over here soaking in the atmosphere and spending time with the rest of the team and the coaching staff.

Reactions: periferal

Hunn

Feb 23, 2017
How many KHL star goalies transitioned to above-average NHL starters?

This fandom behaves like Sorokin – with grand total of 0 (zero) NHL games, coming from a stacked powerhouse team playing in a low-scoring European league – is a 100% sure superstar goaltender.

Last edited:

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
How many KHL star goalies transitioned to NHL above-average starters? Just curious.

The KHL was only founded in 2008 but Vasilevski, Bobrovsky, Khudobin, Koskinen, Samsonov, Shestyorkin, and Francouz, have all spent time in the KHL and I'm not sure which you'd consider an above average starter, maybe four of those right now?

I'm not suggesting this is your position, but looking at countries historically and their production of players is not a great way to determine if players from that country will be good. It's all about growth and it seems like there's a new wave of goalies from Russia that everyone is high on.

Reactions: GrandmaSlices51631

Hunn

Feb 23, 2017
The KHL was only founded in 2008 but Vasilevski, Bobrovsky, Khudobin, Koskinen, Samsonov, Shestyorkin, and Francouz, have all spent time in the KHL and I'm not sure which you'd consider an above average starter, maybe four of those right now?

I'm not suggesting this is your position, but looking at countries historically and their production of players is not a great way to determine if players from that country will be good. It's all about growth and it seems like there's a new wave of goalies from Russia that everyone is high on.
Sorry, I edited my post before seeing your reply.

Vasilevskiy spent 1 season in KHL as a starter before bolting to North America, Bobrovsky – 2 seasons for a perennial bottom-dweller, Khudobin, Koskinen, Francouz are not starters under normal circumstances, Samsonov and Shesterkin so far started 35 games together.

I agree there is a Russian wave coming to replace the Finnish wave of goaltenders, but let's all wait a little before appointing Sorokin a savior.

The Real JT

No diving allowed
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
Sorry, I edited my post before seeing your reply.

Vasilevskiy spent 1 season in KHL as a starter before bolting to North America, Bobrovsky – 2 seasons for a perennial bottom-dweller, Khudobin, Koskinen, Francouz are not starters under normal circumstances, Samsonov and Shesterkin so far started 35 games together.

I agree there is a Russian wave coming to replace the Finnish wave of goaltenders, but let's all wait a little before appointing Sorokin a savior.

Speaking as a fan, I am fully counting on Sorokin to be a star.

If that doesn't happen, I honestly don't see the Isles taking the next step given the current roster, below average prospect pool, lack of cap room and RFA salary needs.

As for this postseason: We've got a lottery ticket so I'm along for the ride.

Hunn

Feb 23, 2017
Speaking as a fan, I am fully counting on Sorokin to be a star.

If that doesn't happen, I honestly don't see the Isles taking the next step given the current roster, below average prospect pool, lack of cap room and RFA salary needs.

As for this postseason: We've got a lottery ticket so I'm along for the ride.
My concern is that if he is not an immediate star, then we lost Lehner, Greiss, 1 year of ELC, and 20 M$ of Varlamov for a slightly better version of Fransouz.

Reactions: nihlify

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
I know it's not the most important element in Sorokin's game, but does anyone have any insight into his puck handling skills?

Comparing to his his countrymen, are we talking Varly or Vasy?

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC

The bubble may be a blessing in disguise as far as Sorokin goes. He gets a chance to immerse himself into North American culture (as much as you can get inside a bubble), gets to mesh with his teammates and learn English from Michael Dal Colle. Sorokin would have had to do this on the fly without this unique situation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad