Player Discussion Ilya SamSOnov

Jun 15, 2007
Thought he deserved a dedicated player discussion thread.

Now leading the NHL in GAA at 2.10

I remember when he was picked in the first round in 2015 a lot of us, including me, thought it was a terrible pick when we had Vezina calibre Holtby on the team.

Yet the timing on that pick turned out to be amazing in retrospect.

Also there are still people misspelling his name as Samsanov. C'mon guys. Sam-ShutOut-nov. Easy.

Last edited:

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
A bit scary... But the bet on Samsonov is already placed by GMBM. Time to have some faith.

Ps: he was leading GAA chart even before last game.

CreeksideStrangler

Feb 9, 2011
Toronto, ON
glad i picked him up as a FA in my fantasy league this year.

Looks like holtby will be gone and I have a new keeper.

with a little upgrade on defense the Caps can be an even bigger force

francaisvolantsparis

Nov 21, 2018
Nice
'Red Hot Vezina Ready', I told you a year ago

giphy.gif

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
And yet another reason to draft best player available as a rule.

Outside of Travis Konecny and Sebastian Aho (in round two) there isn't a single player taken after Samsonov I would want over him in that draft. And Konecny would probably be a coin flip for me but since he's a center he probably wins.

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
I will say I wish it was Samsonov instead of SamSOnov. The former just rolls off the tongue better.

Reactions: Misery74

DukeDog13

Dec 10, 2010
Richmond, VA
The one thing that still annoys the hell out of me is that everyone is STILL mispronouncing his name.

Think of Varly - it was pronounced Var-LAW-Mawv. Same case here.

It's not Sam-SOH-Nawv. The "o" doesn't change its sound; that's something we really only tend to do here in the US. It's the same as the last "o".
It should be Sam-SAW-Nawv.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
The one thing that still annoys the hell out of me is that everyone is STILL mispronouncing his name.

It's not Sam-SOH-Nawv. The "o" doesn't change its sound; that's something we really only tend to do here in the US. It's the same as the last "o".
I'm fairly certain this was addressed by Zach Fisch (radio/pr guy for the Bears) early last season in Hershey. He made an emphasis on making sure he says SamSOnov after being corrected by Sammy himself IIRC.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia

It's worth noting that the Anglicization of foreign names is an imprecise science at best. Semin had multiple different ways to spell his name in English (Semin, Syomin). Varlamov adjusted how he wanted his name pronounced multiple times in his career. Even the Swede Marcus Johansson requested the Devils announcers adjust how they pronounce his name after years of pronouncing it the same way in Washington.

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
Trying to pronounce things “correctly” usually backfires. Imagine a basic gringo saying “margarita” or “croissant” exactly how those items are supposed to be said in the middle of a super American English sentence. It just doesn’t work.

The same can be said for names. In my time abroad one of the hardest things to understand in Spanish was someone saying a name like Tom Cruise. It sounded like “Tong Croois”. Over time you get used to it and it flows better when speaking “American” if you say things how they sound to the American ear...and vice versa.

Reactions: Bieronymus Trotz

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad