Injury Report: Ilya Mikheyev

Status
Not open for further replies.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
I doubt Mikheyev wanted to go into detail about why he wants to leave. He had good reason to cover it up.

I see less reason for Friedman to target Mikheyev over multiple seasons over his dislike of how he's been handled in Toronto.

I think Mikheyev originally wanted a Kapanen/Johnsson/Kerfoot contract because he outplayed them and there was already precedent set. But, he didn't have a big enough sample size and he was coming off a serious injury, so they squeezed him down to a much cheaper deal to offset cap issues. Which is fair, but not in the eyes of Mikheyev it appears. So, he signed, he only had so many rights, but held a grudge. Then, he struggled to score because of his wrist injury and wasn't given PP time, he was turned into a defensive zone, PK player without good offensive options. He ended up with low scoring totals and if he were to do it again this year instead of say 45 points in a different situation, he would be missing out on millions in his prime. After in his mind thinking he was squeezed on his original deal.

I think the Leafs value his D/PK game, speed, contract and he still could bring his game back up to his first year level. I think they're trying to compete and don't really care if he comes back next year. They like his blanket like effect on the defensive side of the game and are planning to use him as an own rental over gaining draft capital.

Or Friedman exaggerated a rumor he heard because he knows "Toronto" + "trade request" is guaranteed clicks, especially if you can angle it as being because of cap/contract negotiation issues with Dubas.

Reactions: supermann_98

Crosscrease14

Dec 16, 2014
He's not a top 6 forward. I feel for Mikheyev, but why did Keefe give him this opportunity? Why did he entertain the idea?
Based on the all or nothing documentary the team likes the player, they just know his role is a good 3rd liner. Can't blame Mikheyev for wanting more or betting on himself but most of us can see he doesn't have a top 6 skillset. Giving him the opportunity in preseason and as an injury fill in might be enough to keep him happy here another year or two and means nothing to the team.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
Based on the all or nothing documentary the team likes the player, they just know his role is a good 3rd liner. Can't blame Mikheyev for wanting more or betting on himself but most of us can see he doesn't have a top 6 skillset. Giving him the opportunity in preseason and as an injury fill in might be enough to keep him happy here another year or two and means nothing to the team.
He is a middle 6 .pretty obvious all these Russian free agent signings were the reason most of them were not drafted

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
Thought he was coming along nicely.

He must have a bottomless pit of poor luck.

How many times must Job reincarnate?
Personally I think Engvall tales his job
He hasn't looked like u can trust him on your top 2 lines anyways

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
Personally I think Engvall tales his job
He hasn't looked like u can trust him on your top 2 lines anyways
To me they've always been extremely similar. Engvall struggles with consistence more so than Mikheyev though. However, Engvall is the bigger body, has versatility to play C, is 2 years younger, appears to be a better finisher, and is on the better contract. They both skate like the wind, and they both PK.
It may not be a popular opinion, but I'd personally take Engvall over Mikheyev injury or no injury. I hope Engvall grabs the opportunity this time and stops messing around as soon as he gets comfortable.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
I'm not an Engvall fan for the same reason I think Keefe doesn't completely trust in him, but if he can just add a tiny bit of physicality into his game he could be a difference maker at times. And I have to believe it will be easier to get Engvall to use his body more than it will to get Mikheyev a scoring touch.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Question:

Let's pretend Mikheyev's injury didn't happen. What are the chances of him staying in the Top 6? How many chances would Keefe give him to find his scoring touch? 5 or 10 games? Would Keefe even give him the minimum 5 games?
As he has played so far in his tenure as a leaf, not very likely. Everyone has been hoping that he can turn the page on a 2-3% shooting %. His positioning in the top 6 was to give him a chance but based on his body of work, he wont be missed. He was kind of a lottery ticket before the draw. Full of hope but unlikely to change your fortune and help pay the bills.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
To me they've always been extremely similar. Engvall struggles with consistence more so than Mikheyev though. However, Engvall is the bigger body, has versatility to play C, is 2 years younger, appears to be a better finisher, and is on the better contract. They both skate like the wind, and they both PK.
It may not be a popular opinion, but I'd personally take Engvall over Mikheyev injury or no injury. I hope Engvall grabs the opportunity this time and stops messing around as soon as he gets comfortable.
I'm the same. I've always had Engvall ahead of Soup.. Keefe seems to feel he needs to manage Pierre more... on him more where as Soup will skate fast all night long and get very little done other than kill the odd penalty. Consistently works hard and produces very very little.

I want to see Engvall succeed.

Crosscrease14

Dec 16, 2014
He is a middle 6 .pretty obvious all these Russian free agent signings were the reason most of them were not drafted
Maybe in a place like Ottawa or Buffalo but on a contender he should be a bottom 6 imo. His contract reflects that. Would be amazing if he regains his finish post injury.

Reactions: hullsy47

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
But yeah him on LTIR means we can't accrue capspace so all the guys who havent been waived yet can stay.

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
Bad luck for Mikheyev for sure. He's had a good camp. However, this teams cap situation just seems to work better/make more sense without him. If guys like Engvall or Amadio have strong showings over the next two months, I'd think you have to seriously consider moving Mikheyev for a draft pick. I think the writing is on the wall that he'll be looking for another team next season where he can get more minutes anyways. Being able to carry one of Amadio / Engvall as the 13th F and Liljegren as the #7 D in a possible rotation seems like a much more comfortable fit cap wise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad